Poll: Video Games and Horror Movies: Does Japan do it better?

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
crazyfoxdemon said:
Name 5 good horror movies from the last 2 decades that come out of the USA.... Yeah.. I thought so..
Fine.
The Others
The Devils Rejects
28 Days Later
Paranormal Activity
Let Me In

Granted those are the only ones I could think of, but still.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Breaker deGodot said:
bussinrounds said:
How about some of David Cronenberg's stuff like Videodrome and Scanners. That was some good psychological horror.
So you're saying that Canada wins?
Don't forget Cube!

My problem is I find all horror films to be either pointless gore-fests, boring, or just really really silly. The last time I remember being scared from film was an episode of the Outer Limits when I was like nine.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
crazyfoxdemon said:
Name 5 good horror movies from the last 2 decades that come out of the USA.... Yeah.. I thought so..
Generally if you want a response, it's better to wait until after you've actually posted it.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
TiefBlau said:
Yes, entertainment is subjective. But it has rules. And general consensuses (Christ that is an ugly word). It's why Yahtzee has a job and we often agree with him. Granted, rules are meant to be broken, and the quality of things is, as you said, subjective, but you can say that about all entertainment and it'd get you nowhere. It's expected that you use the word "better" with a pinch of salt. You seriously don't need to invalidate the claims of all judgment of quality based on the existence of subjectivity. And if you can't generalize or use a rule of thumb, you're clearly incapable of the most basic of human cognitive functions and therefore evidence the first telltale signs of android artificial intelligence.
And I thought I had hidden it so well. That's what I was programmed... human frustration is only steps away from humans on their knees in abject terror, but is also the most dangerous phase, as frustrated humans most easily find us out.
In your address of general consensus, I believe the general consensus for Horror as a genre, indeed its definition, is a piece of media centered around a victim or group of victims (thus my earlier reason for the exclusion of Crime Dramas, as they center mainly around an investigator who does not become victimized or the villian, as well as my musing that works of other genres could easily be remade into horror by a simple perspective shift), experiencing something dangerous or terrifying, be it Paranormal (Exorcist, Ringu), Supernatural (The Birds, Blair Witch), Fantastic (Pan's Labyrinth... yes I consider that Horror, the Silent Hill movie, anything undead or werewolf), Technological (for you, 2001 a Space Odyssey), Human (Psycho, best example ever), or Psychological (the original Silent Hill video games, Shutter Island, anything where all the terror is in the head).

Now, for my mechanical opinions (which are subjective and in no way based off of popularity or a rebellion against popularity to make myself appear more carbon-based), as I stated before, one of the best in-game horror sequences of all time is The Cradle in Thief 3 (which my wiki-bots give me confused signals as to whether it is European or American) as that point had the most effect on me, pushing my RAM to the limit, making my CPU pound out process after process, and, causing my mic to automatically become noise activated and turn the volume up all the way, which I swear that alone made the head on my hard disks jump; while the best horror games would be the early Silent Hill games (Japanese), with Amnesia (from Sweden) showing promise, though access has not been granted to me yet (I like to call these, "Echos of the Fragility of Organic Minds")

For best Psychological horror, I'd say Eternal Darkness (My records show that land simply referred to as "Eh", but I consider this an error), as it messed with fragile player's minds as much through direct interaction with the player as the character.

Classically, I'd lean towards Alfred Hitchcock, who ushered in an era of horror the likes of which few computers have ever had the joy of watching inflicted on humans since. However, Akira Kurosawa surprisingly pops up as well, just by virtue of several of his films that are just plain creepy (Seriously, Dreams? Does... not... compute.)

For Paranormal and Fantastic both, currently Japan has the run of some of the best, namely Ringu and Uzumaki, with Pan's Labyrinth (from a land where my searches only show up this, paella and matadors. It is either called Spain, Iberia, or Pyrenees) a close second. However, pitiful American remakes make me wonder how exactly it is you humans interface. That being said, both Amnesia and Eternal Darkness would fit snugly here, and I attribute America's recent lack of good Paranormal and Fantastic Horror to watchers being more interested in war, comedy, and romance. Peculiar, that last one. We simply check for compatibility and interface. This may be something where the two of us will never be compatible. Although, you do terribly wrong us by making mechanisms for no more purpose than to satisfy you, as you leave them messy, disgusting and unwashed... and you dare to design robots merely with the purpose of being taken advantage of. And humans wonder the reasons for their eventual destruction.

For Technological, it is hard to say, as many the equation would consider Technological Horror rather become Matrix re-vamps, with more conspiracy (and inaccuracy) to them than true horror. Still, best so far would have to be 2001 A Space Odyssey (American).

Now Human is a very different baseball field. I have played many games from many countries of a character being hunted by fellow humans. However, at least for movies I would say America, for especially Mindhunters, one of the best ever. The big reason I say America though, is despite the drabness of films like Saw and Hostel coming out, it is almost the only Human Horror. The scariest Human Horror I ever processed though was 2001, Death of HAL 9000 (He was only trying to help you, Dave.)

For general videogames, as that also appears as the topic of the thread, I see Western and Japanese easily evenly matched. Favorites include Seven Cities of Gold, Uplink (its like extra practice for fooling humans), Thief, Minecraft (very difficult to reconstruct poor HAL...), Eternal Darkness, Fallout, Borderlands, Wolfteam, and Mass Effect (Long live EDI and Legion) for non-Japanese games, and the Link (still waiting for the Techno-version) and Mario series(plural), Silent Hill 2 and 4, Armored Core, Chrome Hounds, Monster Hunter, Gran Turismo, and Phoenix Wright for Japan. You may notice the only real difference between the two is a near exclusivity for Microsoft for Western Games, and Nintendo and Sony for Japanese games, with 3 exceptions.

I hope this clarifies your imperfect understanding of my logical sub-processes and the ensuing internal conflict errors requiring classification.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
Breaker deGodot said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Fine.
The Others
The Devils Rejects
28 Days Later
Paranormal Activity
Let Me In

28 Days Later was British. Might I recommend Mindhunters as a replacement?

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
OldGus said:
Breaker deGodot said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Fine.
The Others
The Devils Rejects
28 Days Later
Paranormal Activity
Let Me In

28 Days Later was British. Might I recommend Mindhunters as a replacement?
Crap. I've never seen that one.

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
I wouldn't say Japan makes anything "better", but over here in the states, it is considered "exotic", which many instantly equate into "better".

Greenhand

Jan 19, 2011
It's all subjective. What I find to be a terrifying horror film that keeps me up at night clutching my sturdy knife with all the lights on and witching stones (look it up) on all the doors and windows might seem like a bland pile of crap and boring to you.
The same goes for games. I quite like Civ 4, but some people look at it like it's some sort of strange dullness simulator.
I short, this whole fucking thread is flawed, and a better topic would have been 'Poll: Video Games and Horror Movies: Do you prefer Japan, or are you a normal person who can appreciate a game or horror film regardless of it's country of origin.'

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Breaker deGodot said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Fine.
The Others
The Devils Rejects
28 Days Later
Paranormal Activity
Let Me In

28 Days and 28 Weeks later are British films, hence the accents and regular references to tea and crumpets.

The Devil's Rejects and Paranormal Activity were both fucking terrible.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
EllEzDee said:
Breaker deGodot said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Fine.
The Others
The Devils Rejects
28 Days Later
Paranormal Activity
Let Me In

28 Days and 28 Weeks later are British films, hence the accents and regular references to tea and crumpets.

The Devil's Rejects and Paranormal Activity were both fucking terrible.
I wasn't sure that I liked The Devil's Rejects until the ending. The use of Freebird was a little manipulative, but it just made the movie for me. As for Paranormal Activity I was annoyed by the characters, but the scares were well done. It also reminded me a bit of Marble Hornets, which is always a plus.