Poll: Voiced protagonist or silent protagonist?

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
What I've realied I like about voice-acted protagonists is that it actually allows for acting on their part - moving dynamically through conversations, making gestures, facial expressions and the like - they can talk without saying anything.
Curiously, this doesn't seem to apply for silent protagonist games - they seem to revert to the stiff 'talking heads' approach, presumably because it may look silly to have a character pacing around, gesturing etc without their mouth moving.
For what I think is a great example see Lair of the Shadow Broker dlc from ME2. Not so good - Dragon Age. I love Dragon Age and it's characters, but going from ME to that, I found the talking heads style with the camera occasionally flitting to my blank-faced PC really quite jarring..it just seemed rather wooden. While with silent protagonists it's true that you can imagine the voice of your character, you also imagine HOW they say it, an effect rather betrayed by the fact the on-screen avatar is standing there like a plank .
To cut all that short - It's not necessarily the voicing of a character itself I prefer, it's the fact it frees them up to be much more dynamic and expressive in other ways

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
MishiSings said:
Yeah but the alternative is super lesbian butch lady Shepard, I didn't have a problem with it but after awhile I couldn't help but think they may have had a dude voice the female Shepard.
I never understood this.
She doesn't sound like a tittering schoolgirl or sex kitten it's true, but I don't find her voice especially butch, and certainly not for the role as military commander. Women have quite a wide range in pitch of voices anyway, to me Shepard's sounds completely normal.
I'm not going to start on the 'sounds like a lesbian' thing, because it's just dumb.

Apr 29, 2010
I usually prefer silent protagonists, because there's the possibility that the voice acting in the game is terrible, like Just Cause 2. But, in the end, it depends on the game.

obliviondoll

May 27, 2010
REALLY depends on the game.

In Dragon Age, I liked having the variety of options for my character, and it would have been hell to provide even two voices (male and female) for each race and class combination, let alone giving players a selection.

In a game where your character is more defined, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 (and my usual reference at the moment, Alpha Protocol), it works to give the character a voice, because it's more practical to implement, and it can add to the feeling of immersion slightly.

In action games, it also depends. A character like Kratos in God of War, or Sam in Vanquish is a personality. They have an on-screen presence, they're shown in cutscenes, and having them speak helps immerse you in THEIR story. IN a first-person game that almost never breaks from that perspective, like Half-Life and Resistance, your character doesn't speak because that would break your immersion in YOUR story.

Thinking of which, I only just realised that Nathan Hale was a silent protagonist while I was writing this. Even in custscenes and stuff, he never says anything. Except the narrator lady I forget the name of mentions that she spoke with him, so you kind of assume he CAN talk.

Maybe he's like Squall in Final Fantasy and can actually pronounce an ellipsis.

The complete fully-voiced everything-ness of The Old Republic is one of the things I'm most impressed about, assuming it works the way it's meant to. Because that will be insane.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
A silent protagonist isn't the same thing as a non-voiced protagonist...

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I prefer voiced to be honest, I can't wait for the day that voice synthesis tech gets good enough for games, hire a voice actor, have him or her do a few dozen lines, slap it in the games and then write the dialogue so that the game can generate whatever voice the text displays.

Personally I loved Saints Row 2, the ability to choose from a number of voices gave the game real choices, playing as the black dude was vastly different then playing as the English dude (personal favourite, bloody psycho he was)

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
I prefer voiced, as the options and peoples reactions don't always connect to me in silent ones - in voiced ones at least it's nearly always obvious why people react the way they do.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
thegrimfandango said:
LarenzoAOG said:
MishiSings said:
Yeah but the alternative is super lesbian butch lady Shepard, I didn't have a problem with it but after awhile I couldn't help but think they may have had a dude voice the female Shepard.
I never understood this.
She doesn't sound like a tittering schoolgirl or sex kitten it's true, but I don't find her voice especially butch, and certainly not for the role as military commander. Women have quite a wide range in pitch of voices anyway, to me Shepard's sounds completely normal.
I'm not going to start on the 'sounds like a lesbian' thing, because it's just dumb.
Well I think she sounds butch, if not all the time there are quite a few lines that are delivered in a very deep voice, and when you said "and certainly not for the role as military commander" I kinda got confused, I know plenty of service women and its not like their voices are any different from non-military personnel, and if you thought I sounded dumb its probably because I'm kind of a dumb person, so spot on observation.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
MishiSings said:
LarenzoAOG said:
MishiSings said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Both are fine, Shepard in Mass Effect could talk and it made the conversation more streamlined, plus voiced charecters are easier to like because they (usually) have personalities and whatnot, silent protagonists are less relatable but let you define your charecter through actions rather than words, "walking your talk" as it were, you decide what your charecter will be like and act accordingly.
It depends on the voice actor as well. My first and second playthrough of Mass Effect was as a female Shepard. When I switched to male for my current playthrough, I discovered that Male Shepard sounds like a goddamned robot.
I didn't think she sounded especially butch. Even if she did, I'd take that over sounding completely apathetic and uninterested in anything that happens (except when you go renegade and then you're a towering bully, which is a completely different issue.)
Well I guess I don't know very many butch women but she sounds butch to me, and I agree that the male Shepard is only tolerable in the role of selfish dick, when you play paragon he delivers a lot of lines in a creppy camp counselor voice.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I'd go for voice overall.
I was okay with a silent one in Half LIfe 2, until one of the NPCs said something along the lines of "you're a quiet one aren't you?".

What would Dragon Age count as?

Les Awesome

Mar 29, 2010
really it depends on game
like i don't link going around making wise cracks
on the other hand its becoming stale and out dated

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Voiced. Any day of the week. I'll even take a Tidus-esque voice over a silent protagonist.

The only time I'd prefer a silent protagonist is if no one has a voice and the dialogue comes in text boxes a la FFVII.

Dan E

Jun 16, 2010
Like another post-er said Shepard is charismatic while Freeman is silent. Now if you look at Samus Aran and Master Chief they are both silent but talk in short bursts that make the story better. Personally it all depends on the game and which would be suited better for it. Oh thought of another one the Guy from dead space Issac Clark, horror game, silent protagonist, loud enemy's, gloomy environment, great game.

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
thegrimfandango said:
LarenzoAOG said:
MishiSings said:
I never understood this.
Well I think she sounds butch, if not all the time there are quite a few lines that are delivered in a very deep voice, and when you said "and certainly not for the role as military commander" I kinda got confused, I know plenty of service women and its not like their voices are any different from non-military personnel, and if you thought I sounded dumb its probably because I'm kind of a dumb person, so spot on observation.
Really what I meant is that her voice just seems...fitting for the military role. She does sound appropriately stern and commanding to me, like you would take her seriously,but that's my subjective opinion really.
I'm not assuming you are dumb, I don't know you at all, but 'sounds like a lesbian' is a dumb thing to say really. As you said yourself, the service women you know have voices that aren't different from the rest of women, why would a lesbian have a different-sounding voice?
Anyway, this is veering a little OT here.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Either is fine.. BUT if the protagonist is silent, it needs to be because they are a true vessel for the player and they interact with the game world as such.

Silent protagonists actually do ruin a game when it's obvious they should have a voice and do have a designated character/personality but they are left mute for no good reason. In other words, I can't put my own thoughts and words into a silent character when it's obvious that character has already been designed as someone who is not me *waves to Gordon Freeman*

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
thegrimfandango said:
LarenzoAOG said:
thegrimfandango said:
LarenzoAOG said:
MishiSings said:
I never understood this.
Doesn't it always, well if you did know me you would know I say dumb shit all the time and in this case I posted it, so no hard feelings, I just have a habit of spouting stupid shit. Have a fine day good sir or madam.

Really what I meant is that her voice just seems...fitting for the military role. She does sound appropriately stern and commanding to me, like you would take her seriously,but that's my subjective opinion really.
I'm not assuming you are dumb, I don't know you at all, but 'sounds like a lesbian' is a dumb thing to say really. As you said yourself, the service women you know have voices that aren't different from the rest of women, why would a lesbian have a different-sounding voice?
Anyway, this is veering a little OT here.