Poll: Walking through a red light

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Jonluw said:
Why wouldn't I cross when there's no cars nearby?
There has to be a limit to cautiousness, and it's not like it's illegal. At least not where I live.
It's not so much about cautiousness for me. "Red light means stop" is the rule, and I don't want to break the rules for no reason. I admit, it sometimes makes me feel a bit stupid just standing next to an empty street waiting fort the light to change, but I do it anyway. I don't break the rule when I'm driving, so I don't break it on foot either.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Llil said:
Walking across and getting hit by a car can cause the car to crash, which can harm the people in the car. Of course, you'll probably get more hurt, but that's not a good excuse.
That's why you use those "useless" globes in your skull-sockets called EYES to LOOK if there's a car coming or not, rather than putting "blind" faith (if you'll excuse that particular choice of words) in the orders of a fucking traffic-light.

It's also a lot more safe, since if some nutjob decides to suddenly step on the gas far away enough from the trafficlight and speed up to like 180 km/h, the trafficlight won't have the time to register it and you'll be run over like the idiot you are for not using your very own senses and opting for trusting a rather flawed machine to decide the proper course of action.

Llil said:
Breaking rules when there's apparently "no harm done" is still breaking the rules. Besides, you never know if harm will be done after all.
The very reason the rules are there is to provide us with guidelines to insure that no harm is done. However, there are situations when said rules are redundant (as in the situation with a person witha functional set of eyes looking both ways to insure that no cars are coming when he or she is about to cross the road).

If you advocate following "the rules" for the sake of following rules, I'd say that there's something seriously wrong with your critical thinking.

And as for the "you never know"-crap, YES I do in fact KNOW that if im at a street crossing and no cars are around, NO ONE is going to be harmed by my actions if I cross the road even if the light is red.

Llil said:
It's just something that's been bothering me, and it does make me feel slightly superior when I'm the only one who stays to wait for green (for what that's worth).
My guess would be that the primary reason you do it is just that: to gain some sort of morbid sense of superiority out of it. Well guess what, the only one who thinks you are somehow superior is you, no one else...

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Has anyone here ever tried this in Cairo? Shit be CRAZY over there! People just walk out into the street with their hands outstretched, and walk across 4-5 lanes of traffic (note; there are usually only supposed to be 2-3 lanes of traffic, but none of the drivers seem to care).

Most terrifying place to cross a road ever.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
If I'm on foot, I never care about lights. If I can make it across I'll go.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I grew up in enough of a city to learn that you take your opening when you have it. He who hesitates is left standing on the corner like he's a hooker.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:
That's why you use those "useless" globes in your skull-sockets called EYES to LOOK if there's a car coming or not, rather than putting "blind" faith (if you'll excuse that particular choice of words) in the orders of a fucking traffic-light.
I never said you should blindly trust the traffic lights. Of course you should look around in case someone thinks it's okay not care about other cars and people.
If you advocate following "the rules" for the sake of following rules, I'd say that there's something seriously wrong with your critical thinking.
I'm advocating not breaking the rules when there's no reason to. It's just that "following the rules" and "not breaking the rules" usually mean the same thing.
My guess would be that the primary reason you do it is just that: to gain some sort of morbid sense of superiority out of it. Well guess what, the only one who thinks you are somehow superior is you, no one else...
Maybe. Or maybe I just don't like when people don't do what's been agreed on. And I don't want to be the kind of person I dislike.

Oh, and by the way, you seem angry about this. I hope I haven't offended you. It's so easy to do, it seems.
My apologies.

EDIT: One more thing.
And as for the "you never know"-crap, YES I do in fact KNOW that if im at a street crossing and no cars are around, NO ONE is going to be harmed by my actions if I cross the road even if the light is red.
Then why is driving through red light any different? If you clearly see no-one's coming, then what's the problem?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
crudus said:
I never do it, because it is so easy to miss a car, then you have a broken pelvis and one hell of a hospital bill. I try to limit my crosswalk usage. Even when I did have a go-ahead/right-of-way (green light, walking man, etc), I still managed to get hit by a car ~8 times in the passed year. Fuck. that. noise. I always try to jaywalk now.
What the fuck? Do you have a target painted on all of your clothing? I just don't even understand how it's possible to be hit by a car that many times in so short a span of time.

Mar 9, 2010
I never press the button, it only slows down the drivers and contributes to pollution. Those cars are just sat there wasting petrol while the light turns green, fuck making people wait and killing the planet while they do it.

Asaliaem

Sep 21, 2011
I cross when it's safe to cross and that's all that matters to me. I prefer to not cross at crosswalks(I still do though when it's the best course) because quite frankly, I think they're more dangerous then jaywalking between two lights. At a light there are 4 different directions cars are coming and people turning on red and people running red. If you jaywalk(and are cautious and actually looking, not just running out because you think you can do anything because you're a pedestrian) between two lights there is generally only two directions cars are coming from and you can see them coming.

But I live in a small city of just a little over 100,000 people.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I still follow what I was taught at the age of three. Look left, then right, then left again. If no cars are coming, I cross.

It's not breaking the rules when you're on foot, since there are no rules about crossing against the lights as a pedestrian. In most places, I know cyclists are supposed to follow traffic laws (not that they do...), but not pedestrians.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Llil said:
Then why is driving through red light any different? If you clearly see no-one's coming, then what's the problem?
There's a very BIG difference between what you can see and hear standing on the sidewalk and sitting in a car.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Llil said:
Jonluw said:
Why wouldn't I cross when there's no cars nearby?
There has to be a limit to cautiousness, and it's not like it's illegal. At least not where I live.
It's not so much about cautiousness for me. "Red light means stop" is the rule, and I don't want to break the rules for no reason. I admit, it sometimes makes me feel a bit stupid just standing next to an empty street waiting fort the light to change, but I do it anyway. I don't break the rule when I'm driving, so I don't break it on foot either.
I don't know what the law says in Finland; but in Norway, Sweden and the UK "Red light means stop" is not the rule at all.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
I'll walk if there are no cars and no cops that I can see. I often see people walking when cars are standing still, waiting for their traffic lights to turn green. Since the cars aren't moving yet, there isn't much danger of getting run over, but I think it is a dick move to take advantage of this and hinder the people/cars who have actually been waiting for their turn.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I only do it if im in a hurry. Usually I will wait for a green light to cross. I kinda do the same with j walking (even though its ilegal) if im in a hurry and i can cross the road without causing any hinderance to passing cars, I'll go for it

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
This debate really only applies in America (or any other country with J-walking laws). Here (England) and most places I know, it's up to you to judge when its safe to cross. Pedestrian crossings are more to help you cross busy roads than to tell you when.