Poll: was i out of line?

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
spartandude said:
little update, so ive put the fence up again, actually with the help from the kids father, who actually not only agreed with me but is pretty cool guy, brought me a pint and was pretty frienly towards me

im also now looking for a special pain for my fence, i dont know what its called (would be able to find it when i do) but it basically paints the fence but will stain most fabrics pretty badly (id paint they inside of my fance with it) so if they do sneak in again not only will they be easily caught and will definately discourage any further attempts

manic_depressive13 said:

well arguably yes i didnt give her a chance but quite frankly if her kids (12 and 14) think its ok to break a window and then sneak into someones garden then quite frankly i do think something has gone wrong on their end

and it was the dad, not her who compansated me and actually supported me in this
Because you've never done anything growing up that was morally wrong? It's not always bad parenting that results in kids doing this shit, sometimes its kids being kids, and as I agree with you that they had no right to destroy your property or even be on it, hurting children even when not permanent is not a positive way or constructive way to punish a child.

Have you considered that given the situation that maybe she decided to calm down and not include herself in the compensation conversation as to cause less conflict, thus the husband speaking with you?

booby trap your yard if you think it will deter them, its your property, why not? I think you had every right to be pissed but hurting them in my mind made you just as juvenile as they were being. Unless you can tell me how twisting ears teaches children not to climb fences, I think she did have a right to be angry as well.So next time id suggest holding their sweaters or leading them outside. Inflicting pain on them just allowed the situation to inflate, and I think that could have been avoided.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Not really, chances are if they trespassing on your garden they dont get disciplin anywhere else so the cretinous parents are to blame (well its usually one who indelges them while making excuses to the other).

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
I'd personally say you're morally fine, but the law will crucify you for that kind of thing.

If it comes to that, ask the Daily Mail for help. They'll be delighted to start a crusade about "traditional values" of raising children.

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
All you did was twist their ears? Goddamn, if I was in that situation the kids would be in the desert digging their own shallow graves. Or I'd just call the cops and let the police drag them downtown for destruction of property and trespassing.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
I would be angry if this happened to me too, but the ear twisting... that's a little to much in my opinion.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
You do NOT, ever, under any circumstances, even lay a finger on a child without their parents consent. If the parents wish to discipline the kids, then that is their responsibility, not yours.

Feb 22, 2009
You should have got them out of your garden but not actually hurt them. Like you say, does no lasting damage but still hurts at the time you're doing it. Honestly I think using pain as punishment with kids is a sign of a bad parent, let alone doing it to someone else's kids. Yeah, I can see why you were annoyed. But you were still out of line in that particular way. You've got every right to expel them from your property though.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
It's painful, but literally only for a few minutes before it goes away and you'd need to do it pretty severely to do any sort of damage so I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't have done it myself, but in anger I can understand why you would have done it. So sure, it was fine, although it's a bit of a gray area. It wasn't neccessarily bad, but it wasn't neccessarily good either.

Alon Doron

Mar 7, 2012
You should have taken them out of your garden as you did, but not twist their ears. I understand their mother; I would be pissed too if a stranger caused pain of any kind to my children. It is not your place to discipline other people's children, and other people as well. Especially not physically. Since when physical pain is discipline? I don't believe in that method of education.