Poll: Was the response to Kobe Bryant's use of the word "******" appropriate?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
For those of you who do not follow the NBA, Kobe Bryant was playing in a game Tuesday night against the Spurs when he was called for a technical foul and had to be taken out of the game. Kobe disputed the call, and was visibly upset and called the referee, who by all accounts is not a homosexual, a "fucking ******". This was caught on camera.

Kobe was fined $100,000 by the NBA Commissioner (Kobe is officially appealing):

Kobe Bryant's comment during last night's game was offensive and inexcusable. While I'm fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.
He has also drawn the ire of many LGBT groups and sports writers, commenting about how this is yet another episode that proves the homophobic attitude in American sports.

"Gay Slur Speaks Volumes About Homophobia in Sports" http://www.thegrio.com/sports/kobes-gay-slur-speaks-volumes-about-homophobia-in-sports.php
However, the reaction from sports fans on various forums I visit has been much more mixed. Some have defended Kobe's apology/explanation:

What I said last night should not be taken literally. My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.
Some forum users made the argument that use of the word "******" is so commonplace among young males that it has completely lost its original meaning as a gay slur, and should not be taken as self-consciously malicious towards gay people. Others made an interesting argument that had Kobe called the referee a "fucking retard", he would have received more flak for saying the word "fucking" than the word "retard", and he certainly would not have been fined $100,000. The word "retard" is such a part of common parlance that people rarely mean it as a direct insult to the actually mentally disabled. However, unlike homosexuals, the mentally disabled are not a powerful group politically. I'm not sure how much I agree with that personally, but it may be a valid argument.

What do you guys think, was the response to what Kobe said justified or overblown?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
It is a gay slur and always will be - that's the intent of using it as an insult, but the outrage is obviously overblown.
It's just a word, and rage produces rage.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
hehehe.
I'm sure he can spare a hundred thousand dollars.
Perhaps it will be enough to teach him and others to think before they mouth off.
I think that the best examples are the ones who can take the hit and recover, and change their ways.
Besides, I'd be insulted if someone likened me to this >
Dammit, I hate those...

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Didn't a similiar thing happen in the UK with Wayne Rooney a few weeks ago (swearing during a match on live TV, not the rest of it, I think he did it acoring a goal or something)

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
People need to stop worrying about being politically correct. If a simple word offends you, you either need to grow some thicker skin or go live in a cave somewhere. People who jump when someone uses a word like ******, retard or what have you make me sick.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
The words expressed... ...were NOT meant to offend anyone.
Then what about the referee?

I think the the reaction sounds appropriate. When an athlete displays poor sportsmanship, and puts his team and the sport to shame by shouting insults, that should indeed not go unpunished; if only because of the harm done to his team's public relations.

It is also fine that the fact that he used an insult is considered offensive by many is taken into the equation.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Jonluw said:

I think the the reaction sounds appropriate. When an athlete displays poor sportsmanship, and puts his team and the sport to shame by shouting insults, that should indeed not go unpunished; if only because of the harm done to his team's public relations.

It is also fine that the fact that he used an insult is considered offensive by many is taken into the equation.
If you ever played sports, you would understand that when you are on the field/court, referees are not people. They are merely things that are always wrong when they call against your team, and always right when they call against the other team. Also, all of them need corrective vision surgery and all of them are taking bribes from both sides.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
he could have called him a fagot

fag·ot also fag·got (fgt)
n.
1. A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
2. A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.
tr.v. fag·ot·ed also fag·got·ed, fag·ot·ing also fag·got·ing, fag·ots also fag·gots
1. To bind into a fagot; bundle.
2. To decorate with fagoting.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure when you call someone a ****** you aren't actually saying that you believe they like men. People call stuff they don't like gay all the time and I'm pretty sure they don't think their Xbox is homosexual.

People are going out of their way to be offended.

ViaticalTarsier

Sep 7, 2010
I think the reaction to it was way overblown. Sporting events get emotional and you say stuff you don't really mean. Have you ever been in a fight with your parents when you were young and said stuff like "I hate you" or something. You didn't really mean it but were just caught up in the moment.

Nobody will probably agree but I think it was a good insult. Calling a strait man "******" is a surefire way to make him angry and express your displeasure with him or his actions.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Trolldor said:
It is a gay slur and always will be
So you're saying that it's impossible for words, through common usage, to take on new meanings completely unrelated to their original meanings?

By that logic people must actually believe that other people are inanimate devices used for vaginal hygiene when they call them "douchebags." Unless, of course, you're insisting that that word can adapt depending on the context, but certain others can't.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Brawndo said:
Jonluw said:

If you ever played sports, you would understand that when you are on the field/court, referees are not people. They are merely things that are always wrong when they call against your team, and always right when they call against the other team. Also, all of them need corrective vision surgery and all of them are taking bribes from both sides.
I have indeed played football (the kind where you use your foot) for a large part of my life.

I still think I should have been taken off the field if I complained loudly at a referee.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Trolldor said:
It is a gay slur and always will be - that's the intent of using it as an insult, but the outrage is obviously overblown.
****** [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28unit%29]

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
According to my knowledge, the word ****** became a gay slur during the inquesition because homosexuals were tied up and thrown on bonfires that were used to burn people at the stake, much like the bundles of sticks that were also used. I might be wrong about that but if i'm not then at best the use of that word is saying someone deserves to be bound and thrown onto a fire.

So even if it no longer denotes a homosexual, it's still a bad thing to call someone it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I think it's an over reaction on all parts. Basketball is a silly game that giant men play and inexplicably get paid too much for, the word ****** has basically been neutered of all meaning, and Kobe's a crybaby for complaining about a $100k fine. That's what percent if his annual pay, endorsement deal money, etc.?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Red Right Hand said:
Trolldor said:
****** [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28unit%29]
You tried, you failed.