Poll: Was this police shooting justified in your opinion? (Graphic)

Feb 9, 2011
Guy - walks out with a large weapon, refuses to put it down after the police tell him repeatedly, either fakes a swing or charge at one officer - gets shot. I see nothing wrong here. He was playing with fire and got shot. Nothing else to really say at this point.

People can argue the amount of bullets fired all day long.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Jesus Christ just how much morphine or painkillers do you need to be on to walk of a taser to the freaking face.

Eight88

Aug 7, 2009
Hmm, I actually know where this took place. I have been inside that Carl's Jr. and I eat regularly at Tommy's Restaurant that is mentioned in the news article linked in earlier in the thread. I even go to the college that is behind the Carl's Jr., East Los Angeles College. In fact, I am sitting just down the street, I think it is around four hundred yards away.

Okay, I have read through 11 pages of this, just so I don't miss anything. This is my first post, so please don't tear into me too much.

Right, this shooting looks justified. Armed Suspect is refusing to obey commands, has resisted non-lethal options without visible distress, has shown he is willing to use his weapon, and is preparing to swing at a officer. The vitriol I seen being thrown around seems a bit strange to me, but I will try not to let it bother me too much, we each have our right to say and think whatever we want.

However, as the only person that seems to be in the area where this act took place, I hope I can help the discussion a little in terms of what the police around here are like and some things about what I think I know about use of force in California and why the dog was not used.

Right, most of the police I see in the area, both on campus and on the street, carry non-lethal options. The most common I have seen is pepper spray and baton, but there are a bunch of officers that carry Tasers in thigh holsters. I can't really say if it is standard or not, but if I see two officers at IHOP, at least one of them is carrying a Taser. Also the most common sidearm appears to be Beretta on campus, while on the street I see carry whatever it is there preference it seems. I saw at IHOP once that some carried Glocks while others carried Berettas. Although, I admit there were some California High Patrol guys there too, so I might be getting it wrong on what Monterey Park police carry. So mostly 9MM and .40 I think, I say a plainclothed officer carry what might have been a 1911 variant in .45ACP, but I can't be sure.

As for the police, they are well trained in my opinion. There was a pair of bank robbery a few years ago right on that street. One was just down the block, you just need to cross the parking lot entrances and the other was just one cross walk down. I am right now between the two banks in question. One was a bomb threat and there was a quick and safe deployment of force. We were told to evacuate the area politely after watching them set up for a while, and that was that. Bomb threat was fake, just FYI, and the suspect was arrested without problems. The other, I was walking back from a noodle place and this plainclothed officer jumped out of his unmarked sedan and got out a AR15 and ballistic vest from the trunk and he stacked up at the corner or the bank. He told me to clear out when I stood by and gawked, I don't remember his exact words, but I do believe he was annoyed by my presence, like I did not have to good sense to run away immediately. I got out of there as the cruisers came along. Don't know what happened then. There was no unbecoming conduct in my opinion when they operated when I was witnessing stuff.

As for use of force, well, I think the 10 shots were well within the reasonable standards of what happened. Now I admit, my training in this matter is only whatever classes in firearms use I could get, but my instructors included a LAPD Patrol Sergeant and he taught me a bunch of things over a few 6 hour classes. I was told shoot until they stop, period,no ifs, ands, or buts. If I was ever in a situation where I had to use a firearm and I was sure I was in danger, shoot until there is no longer a threat; then check my surroundings, contact the police somehow, and keep the gun pointed at the downed body until police arrived. Once the police arrived, I was to then follow all instructions and then ask to contact a lawyer.

The Patrol Sergeant said that if I was able to keep a clear head, that I should shoot twice in the chest and then twice at the head. However he said a more realistic situation would be to shoot center mass only and then run if the person attacking me does not drop to the ground. So, I think the 10 shots here are appropriate given that I was told to do the same thing in a life threatening situation.

As for all this talk about it being too much, well, we never did get to see what prompted the additional 5 shots. What to us may look harmless might have appeared to be a serious danger to the officers. I once asked my instructors what if a person I had shot was attempting to get up. They told me to shoot them if I thought they were trying to get to a weapon or were still holding a weapon, but to be safe, they told me to distance myself from them and wait for police. If I believed I was being threatened again, I was to shoot. That is the crux of the use of force rules, if you reasonable believe a life is in imminent danger, then you may act to protect that life or your own. Like that police officer that shot that guy stomping a baby in that field, he was out of harms way, but he acted to protect a life that he believed to be in danger. If it turned out that baby was just a doll, that police officer would probably have not been punished because he reasonably believed a life was in danger.

I then asked if a situation if I ever needed to shoot a man on the ground was even possible, and my instructor said that something like that would always be a possibility. Now that I think about it, the "it was too much" thing is a universal complaint and officers outside the US do stuff like that too, so we should not be too hung up about it. We were not there, we do not see what they see, we are not in danger, our hearts beating at a mile a second. If it turns out excessive force was used, then it will be handled by the system. I remember a Chinese Police Officer in the PRC took out a hostage taker and shot him in the head and to the ground. Let me go check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlT5y6baps

In this video, a female police officer shot a man on the ground three additional times after shooting him in the face. Then afterward, I believe that people on Chinese micro blogging sites and stuff said she used excessive force with the last three shots. We never get a good look as to what happens, but there are untold reasons why she thought three more shots were needed. Ranging from training to the hostage taker was appearing to prepare to do harm to the hostage. Same principle here, maybe the guy was looking like he was reaching for a concealed weapon or preparing to get back up. When you shoot a threat, you keep shooting until it is no longer a threat. That is the basic principle of using a firearm. Stop the danger.

As for why the dog was not used, well, I think that has to do with a lot of issues in California. Ranging from civil rights to animal rights and then to force escalation. Because of numerous instances of past police misconduct and political reasoning, I think dogs are no longer used to subdue suspects in the manner in which is suggested in this thread. At least not here in California. I am pretty sure that the situation in the video precluded the use of batons and the dog...I'm pretty sure I have seen that dog in person before. It escalated too quickly when the suspect raised his weapon in a threatening manner and appeared to be threatening a officer's life. Crowing that there out numbered the suspect will not change that we do not fully comprehend the situation nor do we see it the same as the officers. However on the issue of whether or not they acted justifiably, it is my believe that yes, they acted justifiably. That is the point of the word, it is not "did they shoot in a good way", or a evil way, or in the "correct" way; it is if they shot in a justifiably way. Can you justify something by pointing out reasons that make the course of action acceptable.

And I totally believe it was justifiable. The man cocked the weapon back in a threatening way and moved towards a officer in a manner that can be interpreted as being dangerous. I was recently on a jury, and the judge said that we needed to interpret and infer things from actions. Like he used a example from me. When asked if I ever had a family member threatened(the entire jury pool was asked that) or was threatened myself, I told them a story of how my mother was threatened by a business partner. That the partner put a gun on the table when my mother and him were arguing harshly about the business. The judge said that we could then infer that the gun was used as a threat, that we needed to be able to make that connection given what was happening. A man was arguing with someone and put a gun on the table, you could take that as a threat to that other person's life. Same thing here more or less. A man was acting in a dangerous manner, was not responding to the commands of armed police with a police dog, and then decides to move in a way that could be taken as a threat. You take that into consideration with the officer's previous use of verbal commands and a non-lethal option, you show that the police used deadly force in the manner of which deadly force is reserved. When there was imminent danger to life.

So there, my two cents...pretty weighty first post I think. So what do you all think? I am guessing a bunch of people are going to yell at me and tell me I am wrong and stuff... *

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
They can't "overpower" the guy. Most likely, one or more people would have been bashed in the face by the time they subdued him. They already tried the taser once, but he waved it off. It looks like the officer was attempting to reload the taser when he charged the officer, crowbar held ready to strike. The shooting was completely justified.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
JonnWood said:
Incidentally, as I pointed out, UK use of firearms among officers issued them is not restricted only to suspects who are themselves gunmen.
I remember a few years back hearing a story about some fellow in the U.K weilding a Katana getting shot dead by the UK police. So maybe we are not immune to this after all.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
gideonkain said:
Kopikatsu said:
Deadpool24 said:
I know I am coming into this way late and chances are some one else has said this, but that weapon does not look like any crowbar I've seen. Also it's never about one shot or warning shot as was said early on in the thread. The point is to stop the suspect, which they did. Now I may not believe that many shots was necessary, but until we are put into this situation, we can never really know what we will do.
Also they maced the guy and he turns on the police officer in an aggressive manner while brandishing a weapon. I would of fired at him too.
Some people have determined that it was most likely a Conduit Bender.

JoesshittyOs said:
You are never trained to shoot to kill in the police academy.
...wat. Yes they are. Police ONLY shoot to kill.
Looks like an Ice Axe to me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_axe
It's a Stanley Fubar

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Cipher1 said:
Jesus Christ just how much morphine or painkillers do you need to be on to walk of a taser to the freaking face.
Taser like most non-lethal weapons are pretty much ineffective against someone that is determine to kill you. Drugs or no drugs.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Brawndo said:
News story under the video, shooting occurs at 0:42.

Is a human life really worth so little that a half a dozen police officers will not try to overpower and disarm one man with a crowbar? I mean what is event the point of spending thousands of dollars equipping and training police with batons, pepper spray, rubber bullets, and police dogs if the cops aren't going to use them? The officer who shot the suspect didn't even go for the leg shot, it just looked like he panicked and unloaded.
No way that is even slightly justified. One or two shots I could kind of understand given the circumstances (though it still would still smack of incompetence, panic or poor training).
But a volley like that? No way.

One thing; are those followup shots as he hits the floor, or an echo of the first five? Cause if those are followup shots (and I hope they aren't), then this isn't just a really big screw up by the police; it's also slightly chilling.

Second thing; why on earth is the shooter holding his firearm sideways? I mean, I'm no expert, but seriously.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
To be fair, you dont use the K-9 Unit for everything, and the dog isnt meant to be some primary weapon you just throw at a criminal. or at least it shouldnt. Pls its only means of subduing is to just charge head long into someone and chance getting crowbar-ed. Now, i dont know about you and your dogs, but my friend had a Labrador/Rottweiler mix and it went down rather quickly when someone tried to rob them some piping and hit it straight on its head and back. Thing still cant walk or turn its head left without looking awkward. So I can imagine that a crowbar is going to do some damage to the stereotype german shepard.

anyway, the shooting seemed justified, since the guy listen to orders. i dont think a killing was necessary, but then again, i dont think that six guys are just gonna rush someone with a crowbar at once when theres a good chance one or more could come out seriously injured/killed by a crowbar to the skull. usually you would taze or subdue someone so they're in a weakened state and less likely to react before you just go for the good old Quarterback sack.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
OneCatch said:
No way that is even slightly justified. One or two shots I could kind of understand given the circumstances (though it still would still smack of incompetence, panic or poor training).
But a volley like that? No way.
He behaved as he was almost certainly trained to do. This is neither panic nor poor training.

One thing; are those followup shots as he hits the floor, or an echo of the first five? Cause if those are followup shots (and I hope they aren't), then this isn't just a really big screw up by the police; it's also slightly chilling.
He fires again. Again, the guy didn't go down, was still mobile, was still a potential threat. They are trained to shoot until the threat is immobilised.

Eternal Taros said:
OT: Looks kind of excessive to me. I can understand why the officer did it, though.
What's strange is that the officer fired a volley and as the suspect was staggering from the shots, proceeded to empty his gun. That was totally unnecessary.
Standard police procedure. Shoot until hostile is down. I'm kind of surprised he stayed up after five shots, but this is kinda the way it goes.

Stu the Pirate

Dec 24, 2010
An officer was attacked with a crowbar whilst defenceless. The second officer opened fire and shot as many times as was necessary to drop the target.

Sad and brutal, but justified.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
Yes, this is absolutely justified.

Batons and rubber bullets are for the control of unarmed opponents. As a police officer, it is your job to stay one step ahead of your suspect to maintain control... fighting a huge metal hammer (which can kill you with a blow to the head, let's not forget) with batons is a losing proposition.

The officer who shot did so only when the suspect saw the two officers with their guns, only after challenging him verbally (I believe, quality is really poor but I believe it was a verbal challenge that alerted the suspect to their presence). In addition, he waited until the man drew the hammer back to smash his partner, clearly threatening deadly force against the officer. A shot to the leg just wouldn't have been sufficient, even if he hadn't missed the thin, moving target it would have presented.

Now, would I have shot so many times, if you asked me sitting on my armchair? Maybe not. But the dude attacked with deadly force, and got hit with deadly force in return. It's not the officer's fault that he did so stupidly, he was still a threat that could only be taken out the way he was.

Don't bring a hammer to a gun fight. In fact, don't bring a gun to a fight with police... they outnumber you, and even if you beat them all they will send MORE. Surrender, drop the weapon, and come back to the station. It'll save your life.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
ablac said:
I dont wanna watch a man get shot so im just piecing this together from what others have said and pictures. The actual shooting wasnt justified as in there may have been a better alternative however the officer seemed to have acted in the heat of the moment out of fear so he can be forgiven for the consequences. The man didnt deserve death but this doesnt sound like an execution as the OP inferred. Again i have not watched the video so my opinion may be invalid due to false or misinterpreted information.

Also the guy clearly wasnt thinking straight or atleast had problems so dont blame him for his actions and dont condemn him for the lack of sense in confronting armed officers.
If you'd watched the video, you would have seen that the officer shot while the suspect's two-handed metal hammer was being swung at his partner's head. At that point, there is no better option, no sternly worded letter that can save the day... there is firing the gun in your hand, or there is waiting to see if your partner ever comes out of his coma.

W1SE 9UY

Mar 17, 2010
completely justified. you're taught a principle in the academy of force-plus-one. that means that any force used against you, you meet it with one level of force greater so that the threat will stop. so basically if someone is passively resisting you, you go hands-on and can force that person to do as you need them to. if someone tries to go hands-on with you, you go to less-lethal (taser, oc spray). if someone pulls a taser or spray on you, you're justified in using lethal force. that may sound overly harsh, but it comes from long years of experience and training. you NEVER meet something that could incapacitate you (as a police officer) with anything LESS than deadly force. it just makes sense...

snake4769

Feb 10, 2011
Wtf is wrong with you people, why are you standing up for a thug. This is obviously justified,as many point out with plenty of facts. What if the guy connected with the crowbar hit to the head. That doesn't just give you a headache people... This thug is probably one of those guys that picked on you when you were in school and made you suicidal. So, why you being his ***** jury and standing up for him. Kill the scum. Less welfare.