Poll: Washing the dishes with gloves

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
If dishwashing is a part of your job, then absolutely.
If you are just keeping your kitchen sink from overflowing, no.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
No, I live alone and barely have any dishes to do, so it's not worth my time or effort to put on gloves. And I'm not exactly using highly toxic chemicals to wash my dishes.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Gloves are one of those things I never remember to pick up when I'm at the store. I'd probably use them if I had them because I have a tendency to leave the dishes out for too long and they get pretty gross, but since I don't have them I just deal with it.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
At home I have a dishwasher, and if something requires manual washing it's normally super greasy so it's a little bit of hot water and dish soap and then I go to town with a scourer

At work all the solid food waste is washed off before the sink with dishwashing liquid anyway, so they normally get dunked for a minute or so then wiped off and put in sanitiser so there's litle need for gloves there

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Parasondox said:
I don't use gloves for brickwork.
You should, cement burns can be buggers. Got some on my knees a few months ago, took ages to heal up. Though I suppose if you're a decent brickie you won't actually be covered in cement (I'm not a decent brickie).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If there are heavy soaps involved you should, because your skin can at any point develop dermatitis and the path to get that fixed is usually very very long and nasty (we could be talking random open wounds developing at any point on your body for weeks on end).

But it is one of those things most people forget until they develop problems.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Baffle2 said:
Parasondox said:
I don't use gloves for brickwork.
You should, cement burns can be buggers. Got some on my knees a few months ago, took ages to heal up. Though I suppose if you're a decent brickie you won't actually be covered in cement (I'm not a decent brickie).
I do my best to avoid the mess. I dont work shorts always jeans or overalls.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Never use them myself. I can see a need if there is something potent in the soap and you have cuts or sensitive skin, but for me I never saw a need for them. Perhaps in more professional settings then I have done the task?
Besides though, never like having things on my hands like that, especially not when they are wet and can get sort of slimy feeling.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't.

Did it while staying a few days at a friends house once. I went to wash the dishes and they handed me a pair of gloves as if it was assumed that was what one did. Wearing rubber gloves in water just felt weird. Plus I don't like the feeling of rubber to begin with.

I could understand using them if you were washing dishes for a job though. Eight hours of having your hands in water probably has some unpleasant effects.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Even when I used to occasionally work in potwashing, I hardly ever wore gloves. Inevitably I'd need to scratch my face (which you can't do in gloves), or get water down the inside of them halfway through. Plus fingers are amazing as abrasive surfaces.

EDIT: how do I get my profile picture to update properly? Anything I upload just shows as a broken image, even after waiting "more than a few minutes" for it to update.