Poll: Weed - Legal or Illegal?

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
This is just an honest question - I'm curious how many people on Escapist are for weed legalization and how many are against it. Feel free to give reasons why you feel the way you do, but let's keep it civil.

Personally, I am for it. Smoking weed is like smoking tobacco (which is perfectly legal), granted that the chances of lung problems and cancer are much higher with marijuana then tobacco. Smoking weed is also much less dangerous, in my opinion, than drinking (which is perfectly legal). More people have died from drunk driving and drinking-related things than from getting high on weed. Again, this is just my opinion and how I feel.

EDIT: Fixed "Much more dangerous" to "Much less dangerous than drinking". Should've done that last night, but meh.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
As you said, weed is, at worst, on par with drinking. We certainly don't have to change the laws on driving while intoxicated, etc.

It would clear out the justice system of petty offenses, allow the government to regulate and tax it, and would dry up a chunk of the drug trade.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sarpedon said:
More people have died from drunk driving and drinking-related things than from getting high on weed.
While this is true, it's also true that use of alcohol is much more prevalent than use of marijuana. Tobacco and alcohol are the two really big killers, due to being widespread and culturally accepted.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Personally, I hate pot. I have seen what it does to people, and want nothing to do with it.

That being said, I think it should be legal, under some provisions that will protect people who don?t smoke. If someone who works for me shows up high, or smelling like pot, I should be able to fire him, on the spot, without having to give him a warning.

Besides, my misanthropic side wants others to use it, perhaps not do as well as me, so I stand out by example.

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
The advantages of legalizing it seem to outweigh the disadvantages, though I would hope that a better public understanding of it's long term effects on some would accompany it's legalization.

Hopefully it would be taxed to all hell, putting the money of faithful stoner's to better use then lining the pockets of people currently on the distribution chain.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Probably belongs in the Religion and Politics forum...

John Marcone said:
As long as you can still fire people on the spot for coming to work stoned then I do not care.
Sure it has long term side effects and totally destroys your memory but eh, thats your problem.
Pretty much this. Decriminalize it if you want, but don't ask me for a job if you're a constant user.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Sarpedon said:
Smoking weed is like smoking tobacco (which is perfectly legal)
Jesus, I hate this argument. Smoking tobacco is legal because it has been for a very long time, and it's too late to change that without causing some serious shit (see: prohibition). Just because something else is legal doesn't justify making the same mistake again.

It's like that scene in Elf (I know, weird time for an Elf reference) where the kid's father goes to eat in his room and the kid asks if he can eat in his too. I'd explain it but I really don't think I have to [sub]or really want to right now...[/sub]

Anyway, please, please, nobody start a big-ass flame-war argument, I need to sleep. Don't want to get too caught up in anything.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Redlin5 said:
I'm completely neutral about the issue seeing as I will never smoke anything.
What about eating it? Cause, I think you can do that...

OT: Also don't care, as I don't see myself consuming any.

DisplacedLil Ak

Jun 17, 2010
On par with drinking eh? Last time I checked I can't get drunk when you drink a 40oz of vodka beside me. I hate all forms of smoking. Why? Because it's selfish! Not only are you being effected by it but also everyone else around you. My Mom has smoked her whole life so I know what it's like having to grow up in the shit. Not only that but if it does get legalized the gov't will tax the FUCK out of it!

I would say it would be fine if they smoke in there house but then if they have kids what happens? So yeah keep it illegal and make cigarettes illegal too while your at it.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Legalize weed completely, decriminalize all other drugs.

I mean, for fuck's sake. You'd think we'd have learned from prohibition.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Marter said:
Redlin5 said:
I'm completely neutral about the issue seeing as I will never smoke anything.
What about eating it? Cause, I think you can do that...

OT: Also don't care, as I don't see myself consuming any.
You know, a friend almost got me to eat a cookie...

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I'm heading straight past all possible health issues on this one.

I hate the smell, don't want people to be smoking around me. Ruins the air. I live in mid California, if it was legalized you couldn't go a block without smelling it. I hate smoking general. Burning something and sucking on the smoke is a completely stupid concept when you think about it anyways.

It can bring out the worst in people.

Also saying it kills less is probably not a way to look at it. Many people each year are killed over having possession of it.

People would drive and smoke it which would be like drinking and driving in a sense. If it was legalized the death rate would go up from related causes.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Too many of my friends have become potheads who just want to get high for me to think that weed (or any other recreational drug) has any good place in our society.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sarpedon said:
This is just an honest question - I'm curious how many people on Escapist are for weed legalization and how many are against it. Feel free to give reasons why you feel the way you do, but let's keep it civil.

Personally, I am for it. Smoking weed is like smoking tobacco (which is perfectly legal), granted that the chances of lung problems and cancer are much higher with marijuana then tobacco. Smoking weed is also much more dangerous, in my opinion, than drinking (which is perfectly legal). More people have died from drunk driving and drinking-related things than from getting high on weed. Again, this is just my opinion and how I feel.
I've watched it screw my father up in the head, I'm against it from experience :(

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
CM156 said:
Personally, I hate pot. I have seen what it does to people, and want nothing to do with it.

That being said, I think it should be legal, under some provisions that will protect people who don?t smoke. If someone who works for me shows up high, or smelling like pot, I should be able to fire him, on the spot, without having to give him a warning.

Besides, my misanthropic side wants others to use it, perhaps not do as well as me, so I stand out by example.
I've very similar thoughts to yourself. Only, given your proposed working scenario, I'd simply treat the individual in question, as though they had shown up wasted on alcohol.