Poll: Well, RWBY volume 2 trailer is out, Time to start talking

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The first series was pretty average for the most part. The main issue that I had was that the episodes were way too short (from what I hear that has been improved), im tired of the cliche school story arch, and the combat was not nearly frequent enough. The trailers definitely showed the best footage that the development team had to offer, and it set a really high bar that the actual show did not live up to. One thing that I did notice in the trailers is that the animations are still pretty sluggish, and the voice acting hasn't really improved (Blake's got worse somehow). I'm not really looking forward to it, but I will watch it when it does eventually come out.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
This was a better trailer than the ones for the first season in that they give a much more accurate idea of the series you'll be watching. It's not a better trailer than Red in most other ways, but at least people will know what they're getting into.

As for the series, I was massively disappointed in the first series. Even if it wasn't a Rooster Teeth production it would have been disappointing (and probably wouldn't have a second season), but the fact that it was made by Rooster Teeth, who should know better how to produce an animated web series, made it even more disappointing. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes for season 2.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Zak757 said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Yeah, PUMPED, still! The only thing I ask, Rooster Teeth... Make the episodes longer than 5 FREAKIN MINUTES! 10 would be fine! More than enough! 5 just... sucks!
Monty and a lot of the team were working 18 hour days and sleeping at the studio to bring you 5 minutes per week. Which is part of why I said that they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Although maybe they've got a bigger team and new development techniques this time around?
Jesus... Had no idea there. I guess that's fair enough. But, maybe editing stuff together much longer in advanced so that doesn't need to happen as much might be in order? If this was the general work load, I'd push back the season by a month or so to take less time a day (But more time before release) to make conditions more lax, have more episodes in a release log, and *then* begin the whole thing. But, that's just me.

If I learned anything from Rooster Teeth in RvsB, things improve over time. Whatever the reasons are, like a better budget, bigger team, etc... It got so much more well designed later on. And that is what I'm counting on with RWBY

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
As somebody who hates anime one of my friends tried to get me into RWBY because it's American-made.

Wow it was bad. Eye-straining animation (and normally I am not nitpicky on that sort of stuff), terrible fanfiction-level writing and possibly some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard on the internet. I dunno why people watch this stuff.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
mitchell271 said:
Izanagi009 said:
I agree with the last statement; it's such a minimal investment that even if it sucks, we really don't lose anything.

I would recommend watching the last two episodes of season 1 as they actually have some major plat points that will carry over.

My one big issue is the fact that I'm concerned if Monty will just give me stuff I've seen before. I've really stated that Penny has Nu-13's combat style and mannerisms, Yang seems a bit like bullet, and other styles such as Weiss's and Blake's just seem a bit too familiar to me. I already stated that segments of the trailer seem similar to established anime or some of Monty's other work so I'm worried if other characters from fighters show up; I mean, I joked that Jin Kisaragi and Ragna the Bloodedge will show up but given how some of the series seems iterative or an imitation, I'm concerned it will happen.
That'd be kind of cool, if halfway through it was retitled to "BlazBlue: The anime version that isn't boring as hell". And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Penny is Nu-13, even with the floating swords coming out of her back.

OT: Season 1 had some huge mistakes, ranging from voice acting choices to story and dialogue but the action was well done, but it wasn't the antichrist of animation that some people claimed it to be. Season 2 has some potential, but someone needs to tell the writers when something is stupid. Remember that piece of shit bully arc?
Oh you are going to love this
This came from a Youtube comment for the following video

From maconwriter:
"The idea [for Penny] came from Pinocchio and general Android ideology. Monty said himself he's sick and tired of people trying to find something to compare every fighter and fighting style to, give it a rest."

Not sure if the Monty comment can be found now but a little advice Monty, if you don't want people to compare your fighting styles to other sources, you might not want to be so blatant about them.

Edit: found the comment
Comment about comparing fighters [https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/304196892198305792]

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I chose "A bit pessimistic about it".
The first volume got onto my bad side. I liked the music and action, but that was about it. (Fine, the main lead, Ruby, got onto my good side. Curse me for my love of cute!)

The biggest flaws to me were the characters and writing.
The voices and non-action animation came secondary.
There is a lot I could talk about the writing, especially when ... urg, there was a bully arc.
I don't want to sound like a "holier-than-thou" amateur writer, but I think many, many of the writers and Roleplayers on here could have done better. Heck, they already have, including myself!

I don't mind Monty since he seems to put a lot of effort into it, but Miles and Kerry, this has gave me a reason to distrust their writing ability.

Trust me, I want this to be good. The voice acting and animation can get better overtime, but the writing and characters, they NEED to develop. So I hope these guys get some focus on both writing and characters, or otherwise it is going to go further downhill.

Ah, so much to do I feel like sending them a "writing plan".

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
RWBY is what it took to get me to stop my monetary support of Rooster Teeth. But I'm really not their target anyway. Not much of an anime fan to begin with, so their version isn't going to change that just because it's made by Texans.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Izanagi009 said:

From maconwriter:
"The idea [for Penny] came from Pinocchio and general Android ideology. Monty said himself he's sick and tired of people trying to find something to compare every fighter and fighting style to, give it a rest."

Not sure if the Monty comment can be found now but a little advice Monty, if you don't want people to compare your fighting styles to other sources, you might not want to be so blatant about them.

Comment about comparing fighters [https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/304196892198305792]
...really Monty? At least the others have distinct fighting styles (except Jaune, whose name mispronunciation will continue to annoy me), but the monkey guy and Penny are exact copies of Nu-13 from BlazBlue and Monkey from Enslaved: Odessey to the West. Can someone bring an axe to RoosterTeeth to cut Monty's high horse down to size?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
mitchell271 said:
Izanagi009 said:

From maconwriter:

...really Monty? At least the others have distinct fighting styles (except Jaune, who's name mispronunciation will continue to annoy me), but the monkey guy and Penny are exact copies of Nu-13 from BlazBlue and Monkey from Enslaved: Odessey to the West. Can someone bring an axe to RoosterTeeth to cut Monty's high horse down to size?
Besides, if imitation provides a style that is fun, just admit it. Granted, I don't want it so that everyone does a Blazblue style (god knows having a Hazama stand-in zipping around with Ouroboros would be blatant and get boring) but some fighting styles from other shows do work for RWBY

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Zak757 said:
I'll probably watch it anyway, because it's only 5 minutes out of my day per week and cute girls kicking lots of ass is the easiest way to get me to watch something.
I believe they said one of their goals for this season was to have 10 minute or longer episodes, so there's that.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Also, since a lot of people are talking about fighting styles, as someone who actually has experience with weapon fighting styles, let me just say that weapon tactics are not supposed to be tied to characters, and usually aren't - they're tied to the weapons, with a few exceptions. Fire Emblem provides the best example of this, actually. All of the characters use a wide array of weapons, across a wide range of classes and characters, many with their own personal weapons. However, with very few exceptions (mostly Aether, Ike you show-off), the fighting styles are very much the same. There's a limit to what you can do with certain weapons, and inevitably, your fighting style will probably look similar to someone else's. Yes, many of the character's fighting styles look similar to other characters in Anime and Video Games. There is a good reason for this, and its usually because they are using the same weapon. Especially with specialty weapons such as Quarterstaves and Scythes, there is quite a limit on what you can do (although putting shotguns in the quarterstaff is an interesting twist).

Basically, RWBY is undoubtedly going to suffer from the same problem that much of the video games industry suffers from. If you want to go in a new direction with something, people won't like it because it's something familiar being made vastly different. Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind here. But at the same time, if you tow the line, people decry you for being just another generic clone of something that already exists, and is probably much better because it has had a much longer time to develop. RWBY has the problem of having a project lead who is not the best project lead (Monty Oum is great at crafting worlds and characters, but the story elements really should be left more to RTs dedicated storywriters), and has a staff working on it that is mostly new. Not to mention that most of the best talent at the office is either uninterested in Anime or has been diverted to work on Lazer Team.

Basically, RWBY is going to need a few seasons to come into its own, primarily because everyone from the voice actors to the animators is stepping into their first official projects. There are no big names, no people experienced with the format. And that's unfortunate, because it does have a lot of potential, a view I've seen around here a lot. I'm thinking that this is going to go the same way RvB did - looking back at the first few seasons, they were quite frankly horrible compared to what they have now, their twelfth season. But Animes generally don't run twelve seasons, so the question is, can the RWBY production team improve enough to stand on its own by the third season, and will they still have fans by then? I think the answers to those questions will be no and yes. But that first no is going to be a problem, because I can't see RWBY running more than five or six seasons (one for the 2nd semester of the first year, and the other three for the other three years at Beacon, four if it is a 5-year institution). They can certainly push the number of seasons higher if they split every year into two semester-long seasons like they seem to have done with year one, but they risk pissing off anime fans for having a series that has outstayed its welcome. They've already pissed off the purists, and general anime fans are not too impressed. If they aren't careful, they'll fall to being an anime for people who haven't yet seen anime.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
By the looks of things the dialogue still seems as horrendous as ever, the story just as cliche, the animation still switching between decent and abysmal, the characters just as boring as before, the voice acting remains overly bland, and the whole slice-of-life high-school crap that dragged down the first season is still getting a lot of emphasis.

RWBY is actually not too bad when it's focusing entirely on over-the-top action (episode 8 was the standout episode for a reason). However, the show falls apart in just about every other aspect, which is only made worse by the incredibly short run time. If they want this show to really get anywhere in the public eye, they need to focus far more on the show's strengths while looking at how they can improve it's numerous shortcomings and quit trying to be a overly-tame high-school comedy already.

With that said, I will give the new season a shot, seeing as how the show did have a couple really enjoyable scenes and even episodes. However, this trailer definitely leaves me fairly pessimistic.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Spartan448 said:
Also, since a lot of people are talking about fighting styles, as someone who actually has experience with weapon fighting styles, let me just say that weapon tactics are not supposed to be tied to characters, and usually aren't - they're tied to the weapons, with a few exceptions. Fire Emblem provides the best example of this, actually. All of the characters use a wide array of weapons, across a wide range of classes and characters, many with their own personal weapons. However, with very few exceptions (mostly Aether, Ike you show-off), the fighting styles are very much the same. There's a limit to what you can do with certain weapons, and inevitably, your fighting style will probably look similar to someone else's. Yes, many of the character's fighting styles look similar to other characters in Anime and Video Games. There is a good reason for this, and its usually because they are using the same weapon. Especially with specialty weapons such as Quarterstaves and Scythes, there is quite a limit on what you can do (although putting shotguns in the quarterstaff is an interesting twist).

Basically, RWBY is undoubtedly going to suffer from the same problem that much of the video games industry suffers from. If you want to go in a new direction with something, people won't like it because it's something familiar being made vastly different. Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind here. But at the same time, if you tow the line, people decry you for being just another generic clone of something that already exists, and is probably much better because it has had a much longer time to develop. RWBY has the problem of having a project lead who is not the best project lead (Monty Oum is great at crafting worlds and characters, but the story elements really should be left more to RTs dedicated storywriters), and has a staff working on it that is mostly new. Not to mention that most of the best talent at the office is either uninterested in Anime or has been diverted to work on Lazer Team.

Basically, RWBY is going to need a few seasons to come into its own, primarily because everyone from the voice actors to the animators is stepping into their first official projects. There are no big names, no people experienced with the format. And that's unfortunate, because it does have a lot of potential, a view I've seen around here a lot. I'm thinking that this is going to go the same way RvB did - looking back at the first few seasons, they were quite frankly horrible compared to what they have now, their twelfth season. But Animes generally don't run twelve seasons, so the question is, can the RWBY production team improve enough to stand on its own by the third season, and will they still have fans by then? I think the answers to those questions will be no and yes. But that first no is going to be a problem, because I can't see RWBY running more than five or six seasons (one for the 2nd semester of the first year, and the other three for the other three years at Beacon, four if it is a 5-year institution). They can certainly push the number of seasons higher if they split every year into two semester-long seasons like they seem to have done with year one, but they risk pissing off anime fans for having a series that has outstayed its welcome. They've already pissed off the purists, and general anime fans are not too impressed. If they aren't careful, they'll fall to being an anime for people who haven't yet seen anime.
I suppose the styles would be similar since Rapiers are very thin weapons so that they can only really be used as thrusting weapons and a speciality weapon like a kusarigama would definably be used in a specific way. However, the fact that it was so easy to say that a character looks so similar to another even with the same weapon is a bit damning. Take a lot at how someone like Mitsuru Kirijo uses a rapier

comparied to Asuna

It may be a bit of an exaggeration but there are differences such as the fact that Kirijo uses circular attacks a bit more while Asuna seems to use more thrusting attacks but that's your call. The point is that I can tell who it is using the sword, just because a style is expected of a weapon doesn't mean that there aren't variants.

In addition, weapon styles like the floating blades can be done very differently since it's merely an increase in numbers and mobility so as long as the blades are different, different uses would emerge but they still seem to be used for basic crush and stab attacks though I may be exaggerating the possible variability of moves.

As for RWBY's chances, the issue is not only that they are bad at telling a story, it's that they were telling the wrong story. So much of the story was school related that I may be tempted to call the whole show a slice-of-life. If they wanted it to be a school, have be like a gladiatorial bunker in which they spend most of their time fighting and not in classes. That way, we can get more fighting while still having a setting where people are able to meet up easily. In addition, fights can be used for more emotional scenes; example, Weiss and Ruby, instead of bickering, could fight out their problems with their emotions affecting their styles until both come to a conclusion.

Also, the rule that most anime fans follow is that a show should be able to wrap up in 25 episodes, 50 if there is a massive amount of story and characters. Given the time difference I will give them 5 times the amount of episodes so they have 125 episodes of on-screen time to develop them.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
By the looks of things the dialogue still seems as horrendous as ever, the story just as cliche, the animation still switching between decent and abysmal, the characters just as boring as before, the voice acting remains overly bland, and the whole slice-of-life high-school crap that dragged down the first season is still getting a lot of emphasis.

RWBY is actually not too bad when it's focusing entirely on over-the-top action (episode 8 was the standout episode for a reason). However, the show falls apart in just about every other aspect, which is only made worse by the incredibly short run time. If they want this show to really get anywhere in the public eye, they need to focus far more on the show's strengths while looking at how they can improve it's numerous shortcomings and quit trying to be a overly-tame high-school comedy already.

With that said, I will give the new season a shot, seeing as how the show did have a couple really enjoyable scenes and even episodes. However, this trailer definitely leaves me fairly pessimistic.
if worse comes to worse, it would have only taken up 5-10 min of our time instead of a 25-30 min episode.

I just really wish that the people doing the story stop, spend a month watching action anime, and then make a story; Jojo's, Bleach, Naruto (those last two, while they drag do still have some merit in their action and structure of said action) are good sources.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
if worse comes to worse, it would have only taken up 5-10 min of our time instead of a 25-30 min episode.

I just really wish that the people doing the story stop, spend a month watching action anime, and then make a story; Jojo's, Bleach, Naruto (those last two, while they drag do still have some merit in their action and structure of said action) are good sources.
Eh, I'd say that they'd be better off playing some Platinum Games.... well, games. As cheesy as the writing can be in their games (admittedly I haven't played them, only watched), they can get away with it due to both the often tongue-in-cheek nature of the dialogue / story and on how over-the-top awesome their fights can be. The show also seems to try to have a bit of a "video game-y" feel to it (thanks in large part to the machinima style), which would make this seem like the better choice for inspiration.

As for anime that would work as a "how to make an action show" guide, I'd rather recommend something like Gurren Lagann or Hellsing Ultimate over Bleach and Naruto. The former are much more in line with the whole "rule of cool" motif that RWBY seems to be going for and generally has far less pacing issues than the latter to boot. That is just my opinion, however.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
It may be a bit of an exaggeration but there are differences such as the fact that Kirijo uses circular attacks a bit more while Asuna seems to use more thrusting attacks but that's your call

In addition, weapon styles like the floating blades can be done very differently since it's merely an increase in numbers and mobility but they still seem to be used for basic crush and stab attacks though I may be exaggerating the possible variability of moves.

As for RWBY's chances, the issue is not only that they are bad at telling a story, it's that they were telling the wrong story. So much of the story was school related that I may be tempted to call the whole show a slice-of-life. If they wanted it to be a school, have be like a gladiatorial bunker in which they spend most of their time fighting and not in classes. That way, we can get more fighting while still having a setting where people are able to meet up easily. In addition, fights can be used for more emotional scenes; example, Weiss and Ruby, instead of bickering, could fight out their problems with their emotions affecting their styles until both come to a conclusion.

Also, the rule that most anime fans follow is that a show should be able to wrap up in 25 episodes, 50 if there is a massive amount of story and characters. Given the time difference I will give them 5 times the amount of episodes so they have 125 episodes of on-screen time to develop them.
Having fenced for a few years, I can tell you that the weapon used in the second video was probably an Epee or Saber rather than a Foil-Raiper, the distinction that the first two have cutting edges, while the latter does not.

As for the thing about RWBY's story, they seem to be ramping up the action from the trailer. The mech is nice, but I tend to compare most mechs to Mechwarrior's Atlas, so nothing too impressive there. There IS suppsedly a training arena at Beacon, so I suppose we'll get to see some of that, and Weiss or Blake will probably snap at some point and try to kill the other (probably when Weiss finds out that Blake was the one who stole the dust-train), but other than that, I get what your saying.

The big problem is the episodes, though. Even 125 won't be enough. Assuming eight seasons, each covering a semester (assuming a four-year institution and no epilogue), and assuming each season is the same length as season 1, that's 16 episodes per season which is 128 episodes. Assuming 10 seasons for a five-year system, that's 160 episodes. This show if it isn't cancelled is going to run longer than most animes, which is going to piss people off, and create a huge risk of having to jump the shark. Remember multi-track drifting?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Ok here's my thought's on the first season. I should also state i am not an anime fan at all... no seriously every one ive seen ive hated.

Ok the dialogue writing wasnt too bad.... ok it had some pretty shit moments but the overall plot was just a mess and as such i struggled to get invested with any of the characters and coupled with the fact that some of the voice acting is just painful to listen to, such as Ruby and Nora having annoying voices and Pyrrah having little emotion or range in her voice. There are also times when the voice acting doesnt line up with the animation such as when someone is yelling but their mouth animation looks like they are just talking. And towards the end we get introduced properly to the villain and some monkey guy i cant remember and a girl who is pretty much Nora with a different look and fighting style (this character could have been skipped to give more time to develop existing characters.) And then theres the fact that I found team JNPR to be more interesting than team RWBY.

But there were some good things i did enjoy. It did have some pretty funny character moments, Nora is actually great in short bursts (but fuck that voice, its so annoying), Jaune also had some good moments when he wasnt being cliche whinny or overcoming his whinnyness and being rather cliche about that. The soundtrack was really good and the really big action scenes were very well done and entertaining, Il admit that annoying robot girl at the end had an awesome fight.

The humour was very hit and miss, some jokes were so painfully bad but there were some good bits. The bit where the professor asks if they have any questions then just ignores Juane before launching them into the forest gave me a chuckle as well as the teacher voiced by Joel. Also Nora and Ren did have some pretty funny moments "I still dont think that's what a sloth sounds like" gets a laugh out of me.

I'm willing to watch this but if it doesnt grab my attention by the second episode il skip it.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Spartan448 said:
Izanagi009 said:
It may be a bit of an exaggeration but there are differences such as the fact that Kirijo uses circular attacks a bit more while Asuna seems to use more thrusting attacks but that's your call

In addition, weapon styles like the floating blades can be done very differently since it's merely an increase in numbers and mobility but they still seem to be used for basic crush and stab attacks though I may be exaggerating the possible variability of moves.

Having fenced for a few years, I can tell you that the weapon used in the second video was probably an Epee or Saber rather than a Foil-Raiper, the distinction that the first two have cutting edges, while the latter does not.

As for the thing about RWBY's story, they seem to be ramping up the action from the trailer. The mech is nice, but I tend to compare most mechs to Mechwarrior's Atlas, so nothing too impressive there. There IS suppsedly a training arena at Beacon, so I suppose we'll get to see some of that, and Weiss or Blake will probably snap at some point and try to kill the other (probably when Weiss finds out that Blake was the one who stole the dust-train), but other than that, I get what your saying.

The big problem is the episodes, though. Even 125 won't be enough. Assuming eight seasons, each covering a semester (assuming a four-year institution and no epilogue), and assuming each season is the same length as season 1, that's 16 episodes per season which is 128 episodes. Assuming 10 seasons for a five-year system, that's 160 episodes. This show if it isn't cancelled is going to run longer than most animes, which is going to piss people off, and create a huge risk of having to jump the shark. Remember multi-track drifting?
Thanks for the clarification but I believe the point still stands to a certain degree that even if styles are restricted by weapons that people would put personal variants on it.

As for the issue of jumping the shark, I'm not entirely sure there is a shark to jump since the show is stumbling about so much that it doesn't have a clear plot or story

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
As for the issue of jumping the shark, I'm not entirely sure there is a shark to jump since the show is stumbling about so much that it doesn't have a clear plot or story
Rule #1 of ANY multimedia format: There is ALWAYS a shark to jump. Remember Multi-Track Drifing?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Spartan448 said:
Izanagi009 said:
Rule #1 of ANY multimedia format: There is ALWAYS a shark to jump. Remember Multi-Track Drifing?
I guess but the question is, how the hell would RWBY jump the shark since the show is barely established?