Poll: Western RPGs Vs. JRPGs

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Which do you prefer. What is your favorite game in each. My favorite Western is a tie between Oblivion and Fallout 3. Shining Force is my favorite JRPG.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Western:
KOTOR / Morrowind / Fallout

Eastern:
Mother 1, 2, 3 / Final Fantasy IV - X / Demon's Souls

I prefer JRPGs regardless.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
WRPG:
Tie between Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic

JRPG:
Pokemon Silver, Chrono Trigger, Wild Arms, Paper Mario 2, and Final Fantasy 7

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Wester:
Fallout 3 and massefect 2

JRPG:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

but fire emblem is as western as JRPGs get...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Western:
Geez, I don't know. Probably Fallout 3.

Eastern:
FFVII. What? I'm a fan!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I enjoyed everything I've played from BioWare, and I've never been a big fan of japanese RPGs. Does pokemon count? I played RBY...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Western: Mass Effect, Morrowind, KOTOR
Eastern: Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, FF VII

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I prefer western, because I usually find the characters in JRPGs to be really annoying. I admit I haven't played very many, but the stereotype of the "Whiny, spiky haired twelve-year-old crossdresser" main character seems to hold true.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Western RPGs. I like my men to look like men, and my women to look like women. I just can't get over the style aesthetic in JRPGs...

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
Western: Neverwinter Nights

JRPG: Final Fantasy X (admittedly the only jRPG I've played. I don't hate them, I just don't buy them)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Here's a question as for WRPG, was Mass Effect 2 even an RPG anymore?

As for JRPGs, you have Demon's Souls on one hand and you're starting to see a cross between the two RPG genres.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I usually play more JRPGs. It seems to me that lots of WRPGs seem to rely on FPS aesthetics, and generally feel more to me like "Shooting Game #47: Now With Skill-Trees" than a true RPG.

This isn't to say WRPGs can't be good, but... Well, they just aren't RPGs to me. They're FPS's with stat growth. Not my cup of tea.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
Space Spoons said:
I usually play more JRPGs. It seems to me that lots of WRPGs seem to rely on FPS aesthetics, and generally feel more to me like "Shooting Game #47: Now With Skill-Trees" than a true RPG.

This isn't to say WRPGs can't be good, but... Well, they just aren't RPGs to me. They're FPS's with stat growth. Not my cup of tea.
I take it you've only played Bethesda's games and Mass Effect. Most of the rest are based off of tabletop gaming, and are (usually) much more strategic.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Western: Fallout 3
Japanese: Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia, Valkyria Chronicles and Fire Emblem (I'm unsure if they count)

As you can see I've played more JRPG's and have quite some catching up to do on the western front. Maybe I'll start with my brother's copy of KOTOR that's lying around somewhere.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
And my favorite JRPG is Persona 3. And it is the best game I have ever played
Gotta agree with you about P3 being great. It has the best story of any game I've ever played.

Western: Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3

JRPG: Persona 4, Persona 3, Tales of the Abyss, Final Fantasy XIII

I'm a JRPG guy myself. I've always felt that story can be presented better in the linearity that JRPGs offer compared to the way WRPGs are presented, with Mass Effect being the exception to this rule. Also, i love the turn-based battle system and, while archaic, I hope it doesn't go away.

donfuhrer

Jan 30, 2010
Western :
Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, (other Black Isle RPG)

Japanese :
Shin Megami Tensei