Poll: What Anime should I watch next?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I just finished Ika Musume (Squid Girl), and need a new series to watch (at least until the fabled season 3 shows up, or I decide to watch it again).
I've been in the mood for slice-of-life comedies a lot recently and I'm looking for something to fill the squid shaped hole in my life. I prefer the weird and hard-to-explain
I have a couple different shows to chose from but I'm open to others.
These are the ones I'm currently looking at along with my some of my thoughts on them--I've seen the first episode of each.
(Just because it's not my favorite now doesn't mean I won't watch it).

Midori No Hibi (Midori Days): This one reminds me the of Ika Musume the most, mostly because of how weird the premise is. It focused too much on generic fight scenes in the beginning, at least for my liking.

Princess Jellyfish: I love the intro with all the references and allusions. That said, I don't think this show is for me. I'm a guy who doesn't cross-dress, and I'm pretty sure I'd be considered a "stylish," so I can't really relate with any of the characters. I watched the Dub from Funimation and I think they did a great job, but I may have to watch the sub just to help get past "stylish" this and "otaku" that.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: (EDIT) As it turns out, I watched the movie first. Oops. Now, I'm trying to figure out what order to watch it in (/EDIT)

Polar Bear Café: I've heard a lot of good about this series and the intro is great, but I don't really like the art direction. The art style and talking animals remind me of some educational PBS show.

Saint Onii San (Saint Young Men): I've seen a fan sub of the pilot. I love the concept and love the comedy. Does anyone know where I can find more?

I get that it's not fair to judge a show, especially a comedy, by the first episode, but I needed some place to start and get a feel for the show.
If I see enough suggestions for a show not listed, I'll add it to the poll.
(EDIT) I never knew how much bickering there was in the anime community.
On a brighter note, Thanks for suggesting Attack On Titan and Death Note. Both are on my To-Watch list, but aren't the genre that I'm interesting in right now.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Haruhi is a great, clever show, so that would be my first recommendation, but Princess Jellyfish is also very good, so make sure you don't forget about it! I wouldn't worry too much about the "stylish" elements, since the show is about a group of nerds, fashionable people are like terrifying monsters to them :p

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
For 'weird' and 'hard to explain' Slice of Life comedies, I'd say watch Arakawa under the Bridge. Or anything from studio Shaft, really. As for your prepared list...

I've read the manga of Midori no Hibi, but that was a looooooong time ago, I barely remember anything about it. I thought it was decent at the time, but I was younger back then and perhaps I wouldn't like it now. Can't really judge it at the moment.

Haven't seen Princess Jellyfish.

I've just started rewatching Suzumiya Haruhi today. This particular franchise is notorious for starting the 'Light novel boom' in animeland. I say notorious because, well, most LN adaptation happen to be rather shit. Haruhi is really good though, do recommend. Thing is, there are two ways to watch it: Chronological order and the Broadcast order. When the series just came out, it was aired out of chronological order, and many claim that this is the way it's meant to be watched because it messes up the pacing and narrative the creators were going for if you do otherwise.
So I'm gonna find out for myself :D

I've been meaning to watch Polar Bear cafe as well since I've heard nothing but great things about it. So I can't help you there either.

Hope that helped :D

To my knowledge, Saint Young Men only has an OVA at the moment, and an upcoming movie IIRC. I'd use some google-fu to check though.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
*Looks up*

My friend bought the DvDs ... he hated them and sent them to IGN AU as a prank.
I haven't watched it but Ouran Host Club! doesn't look that great really.

Midori Days is on series I have on DvD just Haruhi and it isn't bad, but it's only just okay. Nothing special there.
Haruhi felt like the same to me.

Saint Onii San was pretty funny and gave me many laughs (I haven't watched the full thing) even though I'm Christian.
I still liked it though.

As for a recommendation from myself.
Clannad (Then Clannad Afterstory) if you already haven't watched it. :p

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
FireAza said:
Haruhi is a great, clever show, so that would be my first recommendation, but Princess Jellyfish is also very good, so make sure you don't forget about it! I wouldn't worry too much about the "stylish" elements, since the show is about a group of nerds, fashionable people are like terrifying monsters to them :p
A girlfriend wanted me to watch it a little while back. It's been a while since I watched it and I didn't get past the first episode, but it doesn't seem like a series for guys.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
FireAza said:
Yes yes, Haruhi is all great until that fucking summer arc. God how I loath it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
ZehMadScientist said:
To my knowledge, Saint Young Men only has an OVA at the moment, and an upcoming movie IIRC. I'd use some google-fu to check though.
From what I can tell, the movie came out like a month ago (I think). It was either that or the first season started.
I know there's a Manga, a movie, and the series. The series only seems to have the pilot.
I haven't seen anything on release dates for the show itself or a DVD of the movie. I assume we'll start getting fan subs shortly after that. I guess we may still have to wait a couple more months.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
FireAza said:
Yes yes, Haruhi is all great until that fucking summer arc. God how I loath it.
It baffles me when I see people still hate on Endless Eight nowadays. I mean, you guys do realize you can skip it now, right? Also, The Disappearance more than makes up for it.

OT: I'd say watch Haruhi first. Regardless of how you feel about it in the end, it's one of those animes that almost every self-proclaimed anime fan has to see.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
FireAza said:
A girlfriend wanted me to watch it a little while back. It's been a while since I watched it and I didn't get past the first episode, but it doesn't seem like a series for guys.
Who cares who it's "for"? It's really funny, well animated with interesting characters and a unique, fresh story. You'll miss out on some great anime if you refuse to watch ones you think aren't intended for your gender.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
I've just started rewatching Suzumiya Haruhi today. This particular franchise is notorious for starting the 'Light novel boom' in animeland. I say notorious because, well, most LN adaptation happen to be rather shit. Haruhi is really good though, do recommend. Thing is, there are two ways to watch it: Chronological order and the Broadcast order. When the series just came out, it was aired out of chronological order, and many claim that this is the way it's meant to be watched because it messes up the pacing and narrative the creators were going for if you do otherwise.
So I'm gonna find out for myself :D
You mean the five episodes of actual plot interspliced with filler in random order just for the heck of it? The first time I watched it I saw it chronologically, and I didn't notice anything strange that indicated I should've watched it in a different order. Except for the fact that when the actual plot ended the rest of the show consisted of inconsequential faffing about.

But I fucking hate Haruhi as it is anyway. I don't know if you've ever heard of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, but it's basically that in anime form and set in high school- Everyone dancing to the tune of this one annoying character, instead of slapping her across the face. Great production values though.

OT: Watch School Rumble. It's a fantastic goofball romance comedy. With a protagonist that isn't the usual avarage looking sensitive shy guy, but a bad-ass delinquent with sunglasses and a goatee, who's in love a girl who's basically the equivalent of Mr. Bean.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
But I fucking hate Haruhi as it is anyway. I don't know if you've ever heard of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, but it's basically that in anime form and set in high school- Everyone dancing to the tune of this one annoying character, instead of slapping her across the face. Great production values though.[/img]
There's a reason they don't do that: she's mother fuckin' GOD. She's come close to erasing the universe as we know it for far lesser things, let alone having one of her friends hit her. Despite that, there was a big moment in the series where Kyon came very close to punching her for going too far, and had to summon all his willpower to not do it, since having the universe erased just wouldn't be worth it.

Seriously dude, I think you're underselling The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's far cleverer than you think. There are cliches and stereotypes, but that's because the series likes to play with these ideas, such as implying that both Koizumi and Mikuru may never have existed and were brought into existence by Haruhi's desire for a "mysterious transfer student" and a "moe loli girl" brought about by her exposure to these stereotypes in the pop-culture she watches.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I just started watching a series called Haganai and it has got me totally involved. It seems like it might be a "harem" type of anime but it actually isn't, it features no mecha, nor combat, or magical powers. It just features some sort of awkward kids who have trouble making friends trying to be friends together.
The best anime I have watched since I used to watch anime as a kid in high school

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Clannad. This show will make you have every single fucking feels there is. It's such a heartwarming, emotional wonder... The story is amazing, and I'm only 1/4 of the way through. The way the characters are affected by the events of the story is just... incredible. I have no idea how they made such a powerful, yet humorous story, but they did, and I am loving every bit of it (It might make you cry though)

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Quick question Amir Kondori: have you watched much anime before? The fact you needed to preface with "it features no mecha, nor combat, or magical powers" makes me think you're not very familar with anime beyond the sterotypes, since there's PLENTY of anime that don't have mecha, combat or magical powers.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
FireAza said:
Casual Shinji said:
But I fucking hate Haruhi as it is anyway. I don't know if you've ever heard of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, but it's basically that in anime form and set in high school- Everyone dancing to the tune of this one annoying character, instead of slapping her across the face. Great production values though.[/img]
There's a reason they don't do that: she's mother fuckin' GOD. She's come close to erasing the universe as we know it for far lesser things, let alone having one of her friends hit her. Despite that, there was a big moment in the series where Kyon came very close to punching her for going too far, and had to summon all his willpower to not do it, since having the universe erased just wouldn't be worth it.

Seriously dude, I think you're underselling The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's far cleverer than you think. There are cliches and stereotypes, but that's because the series likes to play with these ideas, such as implying that both Koizumi and Mikuru may never have existed and were brought into existence by Haruhi's desire for a "mysterious transfer student" and a "moe loli girl" brought about by her exposure to these stereotypes in the pop-culture she watches.
Yeah, I get that... Doesn't make her character any less annoying though.

And beyond that the characters are rusted shut within their stereotype. Kyon always complains, but does nothing. Mikuru always "kyaa"s, but does nothing. Koizumi always acts calm, but does nothing. Yuki always does nothing period.

Disappearance was interesting for the most part, because shit actually happened. Kyon finally had some dimension to him, and there was a sense things were actually progressing and characters were growing. But then it ends with the status quo like every show-based anime movie, and everything that occured might as well not have happened at all.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
FireAza said:
Quick question Amir Kondori: have you watched much anime before? The fact you needed to preface with "it features no mecha, nor combat, or magical powers" makes me think you're not very familar with anime beyond the sterotypes, since there's PLENTY of anime that don't have mecha, combat or magical powers.
I kind of over looked that part, because I did say in the OP that I didn't like generic fight sequences.
I just assumed he extended that to mechs and magic powers. I actually don't mind any of the three when done well, it just seems rare for a slice-of-life comedy series.
Also, for future reference, I suggest quoting someone to get their attention--most people get a message when they're quoted, so they don't have to hang around threads to see if anyone is try to talk to them.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I hadn't heard of ANY of those titles before, which surprised me.

I picked Princess Jellyfish, because it sounds adorable.

It could easily be nothing but guro, shota, tentacle hentai, but idk.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Of your list, I've only seen Haruhi and Midori Days. Whilst Haruhi really struck a chord with me and is one of my favourites, Midori Days is the better comedy with a little more originality (if you can get past the whole girl is his hand symbolism).

That being said, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film that finishes the series is my all time favourite anime film, I guess I would choose Haruhi just so you can watch the film afterwards (it requires an understanding of events from the show).

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
A list For slice of life--
Spice and Wolf, Moayuu Maou Yuusha (give it a chance past the first episode, It is more then it appears, i promise), GTO (great teacher onizuka), Toradora (excellent, give it a look), NANA (very drama heavy, but its more adult themes then the typical fare. Not an anime for everyone), Welcome to the NHK (CONSPIRACIES!!!), School Rumble (a classic), A Channel, Kimi Ni Todoke (a great anime but the first season is the best, the second season sucks by comparison. Its a fresh look on a tired genre), And School Days (it becomes horror, the last episode especially).

Something you may wanna check out if you want something out there, Higurashi no naku koro ni. This is Horror, or suspense i suppose. It is very unique and is an absolutely amazing anime. The characters are fleshed out and interesting (kinda pun intended). Just watch past the first 4 episodes, you won't be sorry. Now one HUUUUGE note.... this is less slice of life and more horror, psychological suspense (the main character beats 2 people to death with a bat as the very first scene, then it goes into a flashback to show what lead to that climactic moment) and you should never watch the dubbed version...

Hope this helps you a little.