Poll: What are your hopes for the Nextbox?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
The 8th generation of consoles seems to have gotten off to a slow start. What with the Wii U's middling sales and Sony's PS4 announcement actually lowering their stock prices, it seems the ball is in Microsoft's court. So how do you think their next console might turn out? Please justify your answer in the comments.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
No subscription for the online network. They just can't justify it any longer in my mind. Also some more first party exclusives that will make me want to buy it. With just Halo, Gears and Forza now it is tough to justifiy the purchase.

Also stop focusing on kinect. It has thus far proven to be shit and gimmicky. Too be honest I don't think I will be getting Microsoft's new console. It will have to really amaze me in order for me to consider getting it.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I hoping that no shmups and arcade games will be exclusive to the system, then I won't have to buy one and can get a Japanese machine instead.

I love my 360 for all the shmups and other XBLA exclusives like REZ HD, Guardian Heroes, Dayatona USA, Dust and Virtual On but have having to put up with MS' crap and the fact that it's so FPS and Sports focused, 2 genres I have almost no interest in.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I hope that everyone who calls it the "XBox 720" gets bludgeoned with an original XBox controller. That name is stupid, stop using it.

Other than that, I don't care. I've got a 360 controller for my PC now, so I really don't care about the console. If I thought I could get more for the console than it would cost me to run it over to Gamestop, I'd probably just offload the thing. I moved in September and still haven't plugged it in. I don't see that changing.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Good compatibility with other hardware, good PC ports that run well is all I want out of "standard" consoles nowadays.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Hopes:
-No monthly fee for xbox live
-No always-online DRM
-No anti-used game DRM

But my actual expectations for it are more along the lines of "The most evil console ever".

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Hopefully it's quieter, and it doesn't have a cooling fan made out of tissues. Stuff to help avoid the whole "Red Ring of Death" pandemic that was kind of a thing. That was the dumbest yet most evil development decision ever.

So all my hope is that it doesn't fail as hard as the 360's launch.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Having more Japanese games ported to it would be nice. At the moment my choice for the next gen is probably going to be decided by whichever one Atlus chooses to support.
ShinyCharizard said:
No subscription for the online network. They just can't justify it any longer in my mind.
I think I recall a microsoft executive saying that they had no plans for removing the subscription any time soon, due to the huge number of people who do pay for it anyway. Couldn't give you a source for it though.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I've only ever bought Sony consoles (PSP, PS2, PS3) but they lost me with that conference. I don't care for the PSVita, social gaming or many of the announced games.
The thing stopping me buying a 360 is the price for XBL. If they make that free and/or announce a good lineup of games, I will seriously consider the next XBox.
The games I was hoping for were a Monster Hunter game for PS4, a new Fallout or a new Mass Effect. If any of these are announced on the new XBox, count me in :D

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Please, please, please, for the love of all that is holy in gaming, don't make an "innovative" controller. Just give us a better system, with better specs and larger games (not just better graphics either) because, myself personally, cannot stand the Kinect functionality, and just want to sit down and play a great game, not a generic game with crappy gimmicks. As others have mentioned above as well:

-Make it sexier (I enjoy the black and green color scheme, so maybe keep that, just trim the size and make it shiny to my eyeballs.)
-At least 300 gigs of space on the crappiest model. Maybe even 500 gigs at release. This space is just ate away when installing games onto the hard drive.
-Keep the controller mostly the same, though the D-Pad needs some changes for fighting games.
-NO RROD'S PLAGUING THE LAUNCH. Please, don't do it. You don't have to rush the console out for the holiday season. You saw what that did to the Fail-U.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Backwards Compatibility, is all I ask out of Microsoft. One that isn't "Oh, you gotta buy the game again to play it!" I want my 360 discs to be read in my 720. Otherwise, it is not a "Near Launch" purchase (Like the WiiU was).

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
I don't mind paying for Xbox Live as I get a far better service than PSN. Free would be nicer but I doubt it.
I just begrudge having to pay xbox gold to watch Netflix on my other xbox ffs.

I just want it to be decent, play my old 360 games and not require gold for non gaming services

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Aris Khandr said:
I hope that everyone who calls it the "XBox 720" gets bludgeoned with an original XBox controller. That name is stupid, stop using it.

Other than that, I don't care. I've got a 360 controller for my PC now, so I really don't care about the console. If I thought I could get more for the console than it would cost me to run it over to Gamestop, I'd probably just offload the thing. I moved in September and still haven't plugged it in. I don't see that changing.
XBOX 360 was a stupid name too, people just got used to it. Ouya is a stupid name, Wii is a stupid name, WiiU is a stupid name.

Maybe everyone should get bludgeoned?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Honestly if they can make it so it doesn't spontaneously combust and there isn't a monthly fee for using it online (and really, with the amount of advertising on it, they shouldn't need to charge consumers), I might actually get one.
But considering how accepting consumers were of these problems, I'm expecting a hike in the online charge and the chance that your xbox might explode, leveling everything in a 6 block radius.
I can't say I'm too excited yet about Sony either; we have to wait & see if they decide to actually support the ps4 or sandbag it with horrible firmware and allow third parties to release broken ports on it.
That PC looks sweeter every day.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
It could probably 'win' - what is likely going to be the most lackluster gaming generation in many years.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Does one have to pay for online?

Just kidding, I've said before it's PS4 or PC. Any of those suspicious rumours come true for the PS4, I'll barely consider the 720.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I just want to be able to turn all that social media crap off. Because if its similar to the PS4 with its social stuff, i dont want messages, videos or photos being sent to me. I just want to play games on it, thats all.......as long as its got great games, thats all i care about really. :)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Backwards Compatibility, is all I ask out of Microsoft. One that isn't "Oh, you gotta buy the game again to play it!" I want my 360 discs to be read in my 720. Otherwise, it is not a "Near Launch" purchase (Like the WiiU was).
I agree. It would be ok (though a pain in the arse) if any game you have achievements for on your hard drive, you could down load free as you have the proof you already have it. But true BC would be so much easier.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Does it really matter? It is the games that I care about, not some internet pissing match over which piece of hardware is better. As long as it will still allow me to play my games, then its job will be fulfilled.