Poll: What are your thoughts on Borderlands?

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
In this game, if shooting something to death it too difficult, I PUNCH IT TO DEATH!!!!

In case you missed it, that's a glowing recommendation.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
The "enemies" in Borderlands remind me more of the Rhona Mitra movie "Doomsday"
especially with regards to the "psycho" enemy classes.

It doesn't seem like it has that many weapons..just think about that when you are at 14/15 items in your backpack and you have to get rid of a gun..

Sure you can have 5 different types of one gun,but those are all variants..some are better suited for specific enemy types..You can buy a combat rifle..but later on you might find a "better" one..I say better because the stats may be less,but the tradeoff is the elemental ability of the weapon..such as incendiary rounds or shock rounds(which work great to remove the shield of your enemy) or corrosive rounds(which are just fucking awesome..a couple of well placed hits and they melt.)

You might get a combat rifle with slower rate of fire,but better accuracy..yet the damage it does is not as good..

Revolvers..well you can get incendiary types..I've encountered 2 types so far..a 2 shot that does more damage and a 6 shot that does less damage(but still makes enemies catch fire) but it has 6 rounds.

I leveled up about 8 levels in a few hours of gameplay. (got to lvl.3 in single player and joined a friends game and did some missions)

Each character has a "cool" factor.

90% of my friends who play it,play as Mordecai..the sniper.
Me? I prefer the Soldier..why? deployable turret with a shield.
Getting a skill point when you level up can change the dynamic of your character..suddenly my combat rifle is doing almost as much as damage as a dedicated sniper rifle.
Also increasing your skills specific to your class(such as increasing the power of the turret in the Soldier class) really pays off.

Being able to "hot join" a friends game is nice too..suddenly someone is getting more XP and leveling up quicker.

The different enemies make it worthwhile.

It doesn't seem to get you at first,but after you've leveled up to say..10 and you've unlocked and acquired some heavier-duty badass equipment..you'll get hooked.

The enemies don't stay the same level either..some of them are real tough but a lot of them can be squished by the vehicle. The way the vehicle drives is reminiscent of a wheel loader like you see at construction sites..but it handles a lot better.
Having a independent gun for the driver is nice,I wish Halo would have done that.

The XP system along with the challenges borrow from the Call of Duty games(specifically Modern Warfare and World At War) and completing those challenges is nice..especially when you are that close to leveling up and you only need say..200XP and you complete a challenge and you get 500XP.

It does not track achievement progress like Left 4 Dead,but then again neither did the Call of Duty games..

I'm glad I bought it.Out of a possible 10 I give it a 9.2

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
ReepNeep said:
TheDoctor455 said:
quack35 said:
TheDoctor455 said:
All right, despite my uneasiness about Borderlands being developed by Gearbox (the same twats who made Halo)
Hah, what?
Okay, let me clarify, they made the original Halo. Not the 2nd and 3rd installments (check their website... just google it already). And as you should have guessed from my description I hate the Halo series. I have at one point played at least 2 hours worth of each installment in the series, and they all suffer for two reasons: poor animation and sound. The death animations for human and all alien characters in the games are almost identical, and all of the weapons in the series (up until ODST apparently, if the reviews are to be believed) sound like they were made in a fucking toy shop. No kill under such conditions could possibly be satisfying and/or fun in my book.
No, Gearbox did the PC PORT of Halo 1. The port was actually an above average job, considering the game was tailored for a specific console and never intended to be run on another platform. What you think of the game itself is another matter entirely, as it was made by Bungie, just like the other two.

Dunno if you're old enough to remember Opposing Force expansion for the original Half-Life, but I still think its easily the best of the HL games. I'm probably in the minority in that opinion. Gearbox also made the Brothers in Arms games, but I never played them myself.

Anyway, I've got this preordered on steam. Steam's saying 26 October for me.
Okay, fair enough. But I only played through the first Halo game on the PC, and there was something wrong with the Bik movie files on my copy, so most of the out-of-engine cinematics (which in this case limits it to the company logos and the credits) weren't working properly. Meaning that the only company logos that I could see were Microsoft and Gearbox. And before you ask no, I couldn't have checked on the back of the box because I got a used copy of the game from a friend who sold it to me for about $5, which should have been a warning sign now that I think about it. And while I will admit that I did have some fun with the game for about five minutes, I quickly got tired of it. I know that the Halo series has always focused its efforts on multiplayer, leaving its single player campaign to twist in the wind, but I still played through the single player campaign. You see one of my main problems with the game is that it was impossible to take the Covenant or the Flood seriously. The Covenant was never threatening because while they do have silent assassin types and burly grunts, they also have these squeky-voiced midgets that are all too eager to die, so much show that they shout "We're all going to die!" in the same way most 8 year-olds would shout "It's my birthday!". The Flood, on the other hand, I will admit was a little more of a plausible threat at first glance, but then, on second glance, I realized that they were an inept mix of the aliens from Aliens and your standard 3rd rate zombies from any zombie movie you care to name. And I am perfectly aware that Bearbox made some of the best expansions for Half-Life 1, I'm almost 20 years old after all. But I was only introduced to the Half-Life series recently, and I started off with Portal (it takes place in the HL universe, so it counts), HL2EP1, HL2EP2, HL2, and have only played a bit of HL1 (I stopped when I heard about the Black Mesa mod).

Mercernary

Jun 28, 2009
*sigh* I'm so tired of people asking about other peoples opinions on whether or not to buy a game. If the game looks good and you want it, buy it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you're not sure, rent it first. It's that simple.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
I stayed up late last night playing this with totally random people. I was tempted to not stop.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Fritzvalt said:
In this game, if shooting something to death it too difficult, I PUNCH IT TO DEATH!!!!

In case you missed it, that's a glowing recommendation.
It's also an excellent summary of the game's style and overall theme.

Also, to the doubters - it is a game with a backstory as deep as "there are bad guys, you have a gun, wouldn't it be great if you shot the bad guys with your gun? Also, there is treasure somewhere on the planet that you just won't care about for ages. Because you will be shooting bad guys. With your gun." But it pulls it off with the kind of style I haven't seen in a long, long, looooooong time.

I love it, I love everything about it.

EDIT - I just got an achievement for stomping a Skag to death. It's arguably more efficient than the knife, but only because your character gets a thorough cardiovascular work out, too...

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I was going to get the PC version, but it got delayed for a week. Now i have to wait longer

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I love it. Shit, you can turn invisible as Lilith and get regenerating ammo later on with all characters.

malxmusician212

Aug 16, 2009
it's amazing, get it, the art design makes it look unique, there are tons of guns (obviously), HUGE world, co-op that keeps you coming back for more, classes that keep you comin back to try different ones, great leveling system, the only bad thing is that it can be a pain to get around the world but i guess that can be a good thing because that means that the world is huge, and i've heard the story is lame but i have pretty much only done side missions so i'm not far (story wise)

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I love it. Shit, you can turn invisible as Lilith and get regenerating ammo later on with all characters.
Regenerating ammo? do you shoot yourself in the foot to heal?

This game looked awesome and thus, I bought it. After starting to play it I began to feel a nagging in the back of my mind saying "this isn't what I expected... and the storys so dry..." after a while of play the nagging voice seemed to weaken for each shot of my rifle. The story still seems to suck balls, but the game is so fun and stylish I couldn't give a crap.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Borderlands is nothing like fallout 3, people that say that haven't obviously played one of the two. The closest to borderlands I can think of is Hellgate London. If you played Hellgate and thought it could have been awesome if the maps were more in open environment and less claustrophobic, and if it was on a first person perspective, and more focused on ranged rather than melee, then Borderlands is for you.

If on the other hand, you hated everything about hellgate london, you probably will hate Borderlands aswell.

Blackality

Oct 18, 2009
I'm playing it on the PC, and it's great. IMO, it completely blows Fallout 3 (i know, fallout 3 is completely different, Borderlands is more like Diablo or Hellgate, but it still owns).

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
TPiddy said:
Ok, let's stop comparing it to Fallout 3, it's not Fallout 3. It's closer to a Halo / Diablo hybrid set in the wasteland.

Secondly, if you like Diablo's loot hunting and questing aspects then definitely get it. That's what this game has in spades. It combines it with twitch shooter and vehicle mechanics ala Halo, but the real replayability comes from the Diablo side of the coin. If you didn't like Diablo, you won't like this.
I went into it with a fallout 3 mentality and for three levels thought about things like ammo conservation and constant ammo looting. Then at one point I ju8st realised that I was doing it wrong. I needed to have fun shooting.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Destal said:
I really like the idea of a MMOFPS, however, I really disliked the graphics style that they used. I dislike it to the point where I wouldn't play the game. APB looks like a far superior MMOFPS anyway.
The game goes beneath the graphics, do not linger at the visuals. Focus on what's below the surface.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Borderlands quickly made my top 5 console games list within a week of buying it. So, yeah.