Poll: What console should I buy next?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Here's an embarrassing confession. I never bought anything beyond a PS2. Basically I've always stayed one generation behind, buying a PS1 when the PS2 came out, and buying a PS2 when the PS3 was released. Because of gild I guess. Also the PS2 has such an awesome game library that the urge to stay updated more or less died out (and I've yet to play through all the games I own for it).

Anyway, I think it's about time I move on. Now everybody's talking about the upcoming generation, but nobody's very sure about the PS4 and the Xbox Whatever. So I don't know what to do, do I buy into the current generation (PS3, Xbox 360) or skip it altogether and keep saving for the upcoming one?

I'm adding a poll but I would really appreciate if you took a minute of your time to illustrate your choice.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
A PC, friend.
Join us.
Join the true sons and daughters of perfection.
Join the master race.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Before suggesting a system, I'd advise you look at the games that each one offers and decide if they interest you enough. The PS3 and 360 have largely the same libraries, with just a few exclusives to differentiate. Personally, I think the PS3 has a stronger line-up; it certainly has a greater quantity of exclusives, but I think the quality is there, too. You might disagree though.

I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I use my 3DS quite a lot, if you don't mind handhelds. It started out a bit weak, but it's been getting some good stuff lately.

What kind of games are you into?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
A PC and/or a 3DS.

The 3DS because it offers a completely unique experience and has some really great games, you literally cannot play 3DS titles or anything similar on any other system. All you are getting out of the Xbox 360 or PS3 is the same games you can run on your pc, except the console will run them significantly worse unless you haven't upgraded your PC in several years. Yeah there are exclusives and its up to you whether or not they are worth buying an entire machine to play, personally I'd like to see this entire practice disappear.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
For me, it comes down to the controller. I could never get used to playing anything heavy with the Playstation controller, so the Xbox 360 was the system for me.

Since you're already comfortable with the PS2 Controller, you might want to pick a PS3.

Though, if it were me looking, I'd just get the cheapest console I could find. Check on Ebay or your local games store for refurbished models - I picked up my PS3 for $125 a year ago (though I paid full price for a 360 when it came out). If you can find one that is significantly cheaper than the other in a convenient place, I'd pick that up.

You could also opt for a new gaming computer, but even the cheapest option will be much more expensive than what you can pick up a PS3/Xbox360 for.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
At the moment go for PC.

Its a safe choice, future proof (well as future-proof as any tech can be), MASSIVE selection of games, and at this point we know jack about the Nextbox and barely anything for the PS4 baring specs.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I prefer my 360 to my PC and I'm more likely to buy a PS3 than upgrade my PC to a point where it could run Skyrim.

That said, it's more reasonable to get a PC if you want to catch up on this Gen.

You should be able to buy a prefab PC which can run everything upto and including 2011 releases for less than the cost of a 360/PS3 (will vary by region).

Most of the stuff worth playing is on PC, the rest is PSN exclusives but I can't justify buying a PS3 to only play Heavy Rain, Nobi Nobi Boy, Flower, Flow, and Journey.

(inb4 Uncharted or Killzone series. Not interested in either.)

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SlaveNumber23 said:
A PC and/or a 3DS.

The 3DS because it offers a completely unique experience and has some really great games, you literally cannot play 3DS titles or anything similar on any other system. All you are getting out of the Xbox 360 or PS3 is the same games you can run on your pc, except the console will run them significantly worse unless you haven't upgraded your PC in several years. Yeah there are exclusives and its up to you whether or not they are worth buying an entire machine to play, personally I'd like to see this entire practice disappear.
This. PC and 3DS is the best combo.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
I would highly recommend a Commodore 64k home computer, with datasette and at least two single-button joysticks. If you can afford it, you might like to get a Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive to complement your seething powerhouse of pelvic-thrustingly awesome gaming perfection.

Whatever you do, DON'T opt for a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, or even an Amstrad CPC 464. Totally not worth your dime.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I got all the consoles that are currently in production and a PC. Unless there are games for PS3 or Xbpx 360 you really want then don't buy either. They're on their way out so it's kinda late. The Wii U is a console with some potential and there will probably be some good first party titles for it with some time, there's also bound to be some decent RPGs for it such as the new Monolith Soft game. However right now there is little reason to buy the console and we don't know enough about the PS4 or the new Xbox to say if they will be any good or not.

Stick with PC for now and check in again in a year or more.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'd do a number of things first. Wait until the specifics of the Xbox420 are revealed, wait until a you have more of an idea of what games are coming out for the new consoles, and see if there are a handful of exclusive games for the current consoles that you want to play. For example PS3 has Journey, MGS4, Demon's Souls, the Resistance series and the R&Cs. Xbox has Gears of War and Halo I suppose, don't really know much. If not, skip then and make a more informed decision after console launch, possibly stick to PC.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
Here's an embarrassing confession. I never bought anything beyond a PS2.
Yep, me too. I have another confession, I still find plenty of fun in the PS2 games I have. I'm going to stick with my gaming pc and continue to buy consoles ten years after release. My reasoning is that I've never in the past seven years been so bored with my PC that I've felt at a loss for video game entertainment that I felt I needed to have more. I'll still get to play all the good console games, just years after they're hot and most likely at a stupid discount of 90% off. It's not like Silent Hill 2 became a bad game in the seven years it took for me to get around to it after I saw it in a bargain bin for $4.

The online component worries me though, even for this generation of consoles, it's going to stop at some point, and then will my games suck because I can't download patches for consoles without their servers? I might never buy the next gen if it's online only, it takes the benefit out of buying late.