Poll: What do other country think of america

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
JoJo said:
While I don't agree with a lot of your typical American's views, as an Englishman I find them a friendly and interesting people, which is lucky I guess because I'll be going over there to work in less than two months time.

What part of the US will you be working in?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Eddie the head said:
him over there said:
Well I'm from Canada. Strictly speaking from a geographic stand point I think they're pretty cool guys, they make a nice chair.
Not a chair a bed. 75% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S-Canada border that strikes me as laying down not siting up.
I suppose you're right, it's a very soft bed so that's a plus. Just kidding 'merica! [small]mostly...[/small]

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Equal parts respect and utter terror, to be honest.

There are whole swathes of individuals in the USA who have done amazing things, and provided great things to the world at large. Yet the overwhelming majority that puts people in power, and that we see publicly outside the US, are terrifyingly bigoted and stupid.

I have always, and will always, think the USA is to big for its own good. It is a nation of what should be smaller nations, and so it is impossible for its government to properly represent the diverse people that make it up. What seems to happen, is that the loudest voices get into power, and sadly those can be batshit insane at times.

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
I'm conflicted about my feelings. I have been to the states several times, and know quite a few americans, and all of them are good, good people. But as a country, I'm having trouble.

(Note: outside view and all that)

You seem to think everyone who visits wants to stay (I'm very happy here in the Netherlands, thank you, but my job requires me to come over often because Americans don't seem to like to travel much). There's mandatory fingerprinting and mugshot on each visit, extensive questioning, and the random denial of entry. Even if you're just transferring on an airport in the US.

You seem to be overly proud of your country, yet do not appear to take very good care of the people in it.

Your political system is batshit insane and rotten to the core. You have politicians that can spout the greatest of lies, and get away with it. Your government also passes laws favouring certain small groups while disabling most of the rest, and then force extensions of those laws on other countries because you can't compete on a level field any more.

I also don't understand the obsession with guns, and I don't understand your weird interpretation of capitalism (granted, that goes around in a lot of places now).

As I said, I'm conflicted, the above probably sounds way more negative than my total feeling, and again, the people I've met over there are all great, and very level-headed. Also, there's certainly a crazy amount of insanity and ignorance in my own country (and the ones around us) too. But you were asking about yours :)

Oh, and hamburgers from diners are awesome.

Felipe Nurwandi

Oct 30, 2011
I didn't claim that MOST do, just a lot x).

I've spent a large chunk of my life there and just from pure observation of people's attitudes and behaviour, I can honestly say that some people's thoughts of Americans being the stereotype fit.

Still, it's not like I hate them. Some of my real good friends are there too right?

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I dont want Americans to die and burn in hell, I want America to die and burn in hell, if you know what I mean.

Although I guess without the Vietnam war we would have never had that hilarious scene at the end of "A fish called Wanda", so that makes up for all the dead people.

overpuce said:
I'm a US American and it seems that there are fellow US Americans that hate us just as much as the perceived hatred coming from other countries. Honestly, we're a country that makes mistakes and I don't think there's a country out there that has never made a mistake.
We in Europe spend our time glancing across the pond occasionally, turning away again to shake our heads and smile in pain.

Thats why we cover the elections - not because we give a shit, but because it makes us feel better about ourselves. No matter how fucked up shit is, the republicans are always topping it.

"I don't want Americans to die and burn in hell, I want American to die and burn in hell, of you know what I mean."

You wish us all to be homeless refugees, and the land of my ancestors to be destroyed, because you disagree with a government I have no control over is what I assume you mean, but I'd like to think your better than that. So no, I don't know what you mean.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Woodsey said:
You're far too religious. Other than that, meh.

Although I can never quite work out if you vote for retards because you actually want them in any position of power, or because they're rich enough to get there and you just feel you should vote for someone.

I mean really, I may not be a fan of the Conservatives over here, but they're a shining beacon of light compared to the supposed creme of the Republican crop.
From what I've seen, it's mostly the latter. For example, most of my extended family votes Republican, and when I ask why, instead of an actual reason, I get "because they're not ". It's really fucking stupid, and I get yelled at every time I try to press the issue, but there you go.

Politics in the US is super fucked up. It's so polarized that the government as a whole is in an almost constant state of deadlock. The current federal government takes years and trillions of dollars to decide that yes, the sky really is blue. I personally blame the 2 party system and the bullshit that politicians are allowed to get away with.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
I'm sure you are a lot like the rest of us.

Draenin said:
Thing is you let your idiots into the world's view, others have learned to keep them away from media.
This is a good point, the rest of the world (or Europe at least) is good at keeping vocal idiots away from the cameras whereas the USA has realised that while they are idiots they do have money and so they are catered to as well.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Being from America, I can say that we do, for the most part, fit awful stereotypes; though I am from the South. We are are God Fearing to the manner that people give more shits about Obama being a Muslim, than his actual policies. We are racist enough to throw entire ideas and people down the drain because someone has a different ethnicity than white. We love our guns, and don't believe anyone that says it's self-defense. People where I live routinely buy assault rifles, and so many more awful things.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
It's a country.

It has some stupid people and it's government does some stupid things as well.

Just like every other nation in the world.

I guess America is just louder about it.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
I'm sure the country as a good amount of decent folks in it. Though the country as a whole is a disgusting violation of rights and morals.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I'm not a fan of the USA's government treating the UK like it's *****.
To be fair to the US Govt it is the UK politicians that put up with that crap or even actively encourage it that deserve our ire for that one. The US has no power in the UK other than what it is given by our spineless politicians. You don't see them treating France of Germany like that because the French and Germans have the guts to stand up for themselves.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Regnes said:
Well here in Canada we don't really hate Americans, even if we do consider them to be an inferior culture in general.

A lot of us do take issue with America's portrayal of WW2 though, how they ignore every other country's contributions and even take credit for famous battles they didn't win. Also quite rich when you consider most of the world still looks down upon America for joining the war two years late.
I can't speak for other Americans, but I personally find the "inferior culture" statement to be pompous and insulting.

Of course, even to claim that the US has a cohesive overall culture is a failure to understand what the US is, which is a nation of immigrants, and native people; a multitude of small cultural groups living together under one banner. Cultures in the US drastically change even state to state. Saying that the cultures of California is anything like that of Kentucky would be a mistake. So, which culture is inferior? That fabricated culture you see on television? Chinese American culture? Native American culture? Jewish American culture? Middle American Culture? etc.

erykweb

Apr 1, 2011
DarkishFriend said:
We love our guns, and don't believe anyone that says it's self-defense. People where I live routinely buy assault rifles, and so many more awful things.
It actually is self defense, but not in the way that you are thinking. It started as way way to keep the governments of the world (including our own) on their toes, giving the people the power. There is a reason that no one has invaded since 1812. That was the idea behind having it be in the constitution. Now, we have forgotten this, our military is so powerful that no country would dare invade, and no uprisings would ever succeed within the US. Things were fine when the people had all the guns, but now it is the US government that has them.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I personally think it has a very unbalanced smart/moron ratio and a lot of religious nuts, especially in the political scene
which is a bit frightening considering USA pretty much owns the world =P

but that's just my opinion, I don't particularly hate you folks

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
DarkishFriend said:
Being from America, I can say that we do, for the most part, fit awful stereotypes; though I am from the South. We are are God Fearing to the manner that people give more shits about Obama being a Muslim, than his actual policies. We are racist enough to throw entire ideas and people down the drain because someone has a different ethnicity than white. We love our guns, and don't believe anyone that says it's self-defense. People where I live routinely buy assault rifles, and so many more awful things.

Being from American I can say that the greater majority of people that I have met here do not fit the stereotypes. I can also say since I use to live in the south myself that the above quote is a terrible exaggeration.

Yes, people are allowed to own guns here.
No, not everyone does.
Yes, their are a few racists here, But in general bigotry is looked down upon, and those people that are racists are a small minority, even in the south.
Yes, some people are religious here, but so what.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Some people outside of America probably think of us as the stuck up guy that thinks that he's better than everyone else. With that said, I agree in some points. There seems to be a fine line between being proud of your country and believing that where you live is Earth's equivalent to heaven.