Poll: What do you call split screen cheating?

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
"Being a cheeky ****" that was what usually got said before taking a swing at the other person's head

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Do you mean looking at your opponents position? I use "Ghosting", just because I'm more used to PC shooters (Dead players look through enemy players eyes to find their location and report it)

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
"Screen watching" was what my circle of friends would call it. I went with "Screen looking" in the poll because we'd call it that too.

Oh the days of four player split-screen Halo 1 and 2. Good times.

Rough Sausage

May 19, 2010
I usually use the term screen watching. It's completely obvious when you're watching other people play and they screen watch to gain an advantage, and I just lose all respect for them.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
The Spartan E1337 said:
I call it screen looking. It is the only strategy my brother uses when we are playing versus split-screen. Its so bad that we cant be on different teams or else he does nothing but cheat. And it most definitely is cheating.
How can that be cheating? You are both looking at the same screen and your vision isn't constricted to your side. I'm presently looking a video on youtube on one screen (my TV) and I'm answering you on the forum at the same time and can keep my attention on both.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Julianking93 said:
I just say "I can't help but look"
Seriously, how am I supposed to keep my eyes averted?
yeah, its a bad habit of mine as well. however, i always specifically look at who they are shooting at (because i usually look when they are shooting), so i try to not make my habit an unfair advantage by picking out their spot on the map.

and my bros and i call it screen peeking. always have. always will. perhaps its because it was the best word we knew for it at the time we started playing split screen games (i was like 4, eldest about 6, youngest was only 1-2 so he didnt actually play for another year or so)

Johnson294

May 8, 2011
I always say screen looking, and screen looker. I miss the good old days of split screen on a side note. :(

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
My friends and I always referred to it as "screening", usually followed by a smack on the arm, or the back of the head.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Never actually called it anything, but out of the poll I'd all it "screen cheating" although I love screen queen and screen peeping too.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I've heard it called "ghosting", since you can see where your opponent is and stalk them.
This is the only name I've heard it go by. Also applies to LAN / internet cafe parties and games where dead players can spectate the positions of the enemy team (e.g. CS:S, obv with the death cam settings still on with no restrictions)

Generally, though, when I play split screen with someone (since most games that I do play split screen will only split into 2) we would be playing something co-op so ghosting is required to aid tactics. That and the ghost camera in Killing Floor can actually be a group saver

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
kortin said:
One of my friends call it "Screen Hacking". I want to tear my ears off every time they say that. I call it Screen looking.
Hehe, my brother would do that all the time too. I found that I could use it to my advantage by deliberately looking at something random so that he would get confused or view a weird angle of something iconic in the map so that he gets drawn to it, making for easy kills :p

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Akalistos said:
The Spartan E1337 said:
I call it screen looking. It is the only strategy my brother uses when we are playing versus split-screen. Its so bad that we cant be on different teams or else he does nothing but cheat. And it most definitely is cheating.
How can that be cheating? You are both looking at the same screen and your vision isn't constricted to your side. I'm presently looking a video on youtube on one screen (my TV) and I'm answering you on the forum at the same time and can keep my attention on both.
Because you're not supposed to do it. Just because you can doesn't mean it is allowed. It isn't a matter of whether or not it's possible, its whether or not it is considered fair. For example, I could knock the controller out of his hands when we play, but that would be cheating. If we are trying to hunt each other down, he has a huge advantage because he knows where I am by looking at my screen. I could do the same to him, but it is less fun for me, so I don't.