Poll: What do you do when you've been killed for the 10th time in the same place?

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
I like games for their story and exploration the first time I play through them and for perfecting the course of the levels for the replays.

I am not a gamer who's in it for the stubborn hardcore challenge. If I can't beat it, it's no fun and that's the point I usually abandon it.

What about you?

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
If I paid for the game, I may as well try and finish it. Or, give up and try at it again tomorrow. You'll usually be able to do it in one try.

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
NicolasMarinus said:
What about you?
I've beaten Contra: The Hard Corps [all endings in the EU version], R-Type III, Castlevania 64...You work it out.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
try 1-5 keep at it
try 5-10 try new tactics
look online
10-15 try found tactics
give up (for the night at least, possibly for a few weeks)
try again miraculously get it in a single try

This seems to be my pattern lately

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I keep trying and each time change up what i think may have went wrong the previous times fueling myself with caffinated beverages and supressing my rage quit factor until i get past the bloody PART as i feverishly fight the urge to sleep

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Give up eventually, and maybe try agai in a few days, weeks, even months.
It worked with SFA3 anyway! XD (Though I could never beat Shin Akuma with Dhalsim!)

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
My cut-off point's the 30-death mark. Unless the game has serious awesomeness that makes it forgivable (rare, but it happens).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
I usually keep going, particularly if there is an achievement in it for me. I'll yell and swear a lot, and maybe punch a few walls, but I'll keep going.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
NicolasMarinus said:
I like games for their story and exploration the first time I play through them and for perfecting the course of the levels for the replays.

I am not a gamer who's in it for the stubborn hardcore challenge. If I can't beat it, it's no fun and that's the point I usually abandon it.

What about you?
I'm like you. When I read a review on, let's say, an RPG, they always say if the game is too easy, and usually in a bad way. I always love it, though. I like for SOME challenge in my FPSs, for example, but I hate when they're frustrating. They have to be just right.

I love easy JRPGs, though, since I more play them for exploration and story, like you said.

Though western RPGs are usually more action-based, so they need more challenge than JRPGs to be better.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
The only times I die tht often are in FPS, (really hard story-lines) or in FFX, seymour for the third time. For the FPS's, I just throw some flashes, hide behind stuff and work through it very. slowly. but. safely. For FFX, I got all my aeons with overdrives, then spammed them.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Try different tactics, no matter how silly they seem to me. There's always a different approach that works.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I don't give up after the 10th time.

Try a million times and maybe I'll rage quit.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Try a new tactic, weapon, or just see if I can go around the area. However, in something like "Raining Blood" on GH 3 I just quit. Damn Mosh section. Screw that.

If I'm consistently dying in a game where I've got multiple saves or can revert to an earlier checkpoint I'll sometimes do that, just to see if I made the tough section difficult for myself by screwing something up earlier on in the level.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
10 times, I'd probably give it 5 more tries before giving up.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
I'll keep on going at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

and at it...

etc.

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
i always beat every game i buy on hard.... i figure since i bought it i have to finnish it.... if it gets to the point where i get too worked up i just go do something else for an hour and come back... but video games rarely get to me..