Poll: What Do you Know About Autism

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Been working regularly with people that has autism spectrum disorders for the past 6 years or so in a psychiatric ward, so I know a bit about it. Nowhere near as much as I'd like to.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
As someone with autism I would like you to guess. Also my girlfriend has autism and most of my friends have it. We try to advocate for it but we're fighting people like Temple Grandin and organizations like Autism Speaks so it's a bit of an uphill battle.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I don't know anything about dinosaurs, but I learned a bit of autism from a manga that teaches people what is autism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Light

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I have two kids, both of whom have been diagnosed with ASD, so at this point I know quite a bit about autism. My knowledge of dinosaurs has fallen by the wayside, along with a lot of other things.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
What I know from autism is just what I've read on popular psychology sites. Namely that autism is a deficiency in social recognition that oxytocin might play a role in. Also that it's probably caused by a genetic susceptibility for an environmental trigger during very early development leading to cortical underconnectivity in long-distance neural connections due to problems with integrity of white matter. The brain then overcompensates with connections in the frontal and posterior areas. It would explain why people with autism often have repetitive behaviors, sharp focus on one specific thing and enhanced sensory processing while failing 'easier' tasks like social abilities that requires integrated processing of multiple brain regions.

From dinosaurs I only know that they were wiped out by a meteorite. :p

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I know that the autistic person at my college was difficult to talk to because autistic people are very literal and have difficulty with the cues and nuance of sarcasm, banter and metaphorical language.......which is like 90% of what I wanna talk about with other people. Sucks that they have these issues, would like to understand what causes the failures of the connections in the brain to appropriately strengthen and thus compensate elsewhere, that kind of science is intensely fascinating.

Dinosaurs are fucking cool. I don't know much about them for long because the retention of frankly irrelevant information in my day to day efforts is hard.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
ProfMcStevie said:
Sucks that they have these issues, would like to understand what causes the failures of the connections in the brain to appropriately strengthen and thus compensate elsewhere, that kind of science is intensely fascinating.
Yeah, my guess is that way more people carry the 'autism gene' than there are actual people with autism and environmental triggers run the gamut from infectious diseases to bowel bacteria to age of the parents to ridiculous ones that have long been refuted like vaccines. Seems like even when you're genetically predisposed towards autism you still need the appropriate environmental trigger which might be unique for every person with autism. Eventually I think it's just dumb 'luck'.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I know some people with it. I've heard various things but they kind of escape my mind at times. Personally kind of too lazy to research it myself so don't know too much

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I know that autism thread on the Escapist have had a tendancy to blow up into big arguments.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Great Info. The Whole point of the thread was to check out a hunch and it seems to be getting pretty even here. Mine was Diagnosed by a doctor, so woo hoo, but up until I was 19 I was "Mildly Retarded." What bugs me more is the fact it seems most people I meet, or at least ones in a position of power, are still of the opinion that Idiocy=Mental retardation=Autism. Yes the semantics, yes Judge a Fish on its ability to climb and you'll call it an idiot, but it still feels a little medieval. It gets worse when you add the public school system in California.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
i know more about extinct animals. but that's mostly because i know a fuck-ton about extinct animals.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Whelp, well sorry that I more about Dinosaurs than I do with Austism. I guess it's due to that I know noone with that disorder.

Still I do give them credit that they are adressing it now at a younger ages like that new Sesame Street character, Julia.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Probably because witnessing autism isn't as popular as dinosaurs, so not a lot of popular media is based about the former.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I don't know anything about dinosaurs and I know even less about autism. I know some people have it and some cases are more severe than others, that's about it. I've seen Adam, which I think deals with autism? I dunno if it's accurate or not. I've seen all the Jurassic Park movies, though, and they're all kinda bad.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
What I know about autism (without looking anything up):

It's a neurogical disorder that lowers the subject's ability to emphasize. This can mean saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, being unable to put yourself in another persons shoes, or even being unable to see other people as, well, people. Autistic persons can be self-centered, not out of any malice, but because they honestly have trouble grasping that other people have feelings too. And even if they do understand that other people have feelings, they still may have trouble understanding those feelings because they are not their own.

Now to hit the books to see how much I got right or wrong...

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
I probably know more dinosaur names than facts about autism, at least.

Autism is some sort of mental condition people are born with. I think it leads to issues with picking up on social cues and a big focus on a few topics that interest them, and it varies from a very minor thing to an extreme thing. That's practically the nerd definition, so you'll get nerds self-diagnosing or being called autistic as a sort of slur.

Kronosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Deinonychus, Triceratops, Spike, Ducky.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Autism is a developmental disorder that can affect how one can form relationships and interact with people. I literally know nothing beyond that. I also don't interact directly IRL with people who have it so it's very much not on my radar. I'm basically the kind of person who only learns about things by fucking them up a few times first and not knowing someone who has it makes it rather impossible for me to learn about it.

Dinosaurs are cool giant and not so giant reptiles that virtually every boy has a fascination with at one time or another in their lives. I know some grown ass men who still go gooey over them. Autism, like many mental disorders is sometimes poorly defined and experts often cannot agree on it's diagnosis and spectrum. So a layman who does not know an autistic person for real cannot expect to be some kind of expert.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Considering how the wonderful sewer that is internet culture has re-defined autism, I can safely say anything I did know about it is now null and void, considering that all you have to do is like certain shows oir not hate certain shows enough to qualify as "Autistic"