Poll: What do you think of the WiiU now? v2

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I had intended to get one when the next Legend of Zelda came out. However, if it comes out on the NX, I may end up waiting another few years, and getting that instead.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I'm just sad that it's basically become the console equivalent of the PS Vita.
Heck, at least Vita has a few good exclusives, huge library of PSOne games and at least once every month there is a new JRPG released for it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I bought it exclusively for Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X and I am happy with my purchase because Bayonetta 2 was just that amazing for me. It made me feel like I had rediscovered the reason I play games because I was having that much fun.

Havent finished Xenoblade did not like it anywhere near as much as Chronicles but its a completely different game so not holding that against it and I am about 80 hours and was quite enjoying it before RL got in the way.

Only first party Nintendo game I got for it was Smash Bros and er yeah its not for me overall I have not been very enthusiastic about their first party titles not sure why maybe I just feel that they have run their course for the most part. Mario Kart 8 in particular I found horrendous, barebones game with poor tracks and atrocious handling. Was hoping it would allow me and some friends to partake in some battle arena showdowns like the old days but it was not to be. Will just have to stick with CTR and Double Dash.

Console has pretty much been on life support since it launched Nintendo did a lot of damage to their brand with the core market with the Wii and their decision to step away from direct competition. I liked the WiiU definitely not a favoured console however for me and still think its ignored by most.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mister K said:
shrekfan246 said:
I'm just sad that it's basically become the console equivalent of the PS Vita.
Heck, at least Vita has a few good exclusives, huge library of PSOne games and at least once every month there is a new JRPG released for it.
I've been getting a lot of time out of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth of all things lately on my Vita. Kinda like the PSP, Sony doesn't care about their handheld anymore but at least some other companies still do.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I have one and while I'm disappointed by it, I'm not disappointed to have picked one up. There are some games that I only could have played on the Wii U that I'm glad to have played but I really wish third parties had stuck with the thing for longer than they did. It was clear that Nintendo was really relying on third-party support during the first 6 months or so but EA dropped support before the Wii U was on shelves for 90 days. That's just one company though and not even the main offender...to parrot what everybody else has said, Nintendo screwed up when it came to marketing the thing but the biggest blunder was releasing New Super Mario Bros U as the big launch title instead of something like Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World or better yet, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World AND any-given third thing (like Wind Waker HD...or Skyward Sword HD or something).

The first time I played Arkham City and Mass Effect 3, it was on the Wii U and I realize that puts me in the 1/100th of-a-percent of people who can also make that claim but again, that was a third party mistake more than a Nintendo mistake. These companies like Bioware and WB must have known that the sales life of those games had come and gone for the most part. Nobody had any reason to expect that Batman or Mass Effect would ever be on a Nintendo console to begin with...

...I'm done rambling. I want to complain about the Virtual Console not being unified but I think I'll stop now. I like my Wii U but this generation, I've spent a majority of my time playing on my 3DS.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
I like this assumption that because Zelda got delayed, it's obviously going to be an NX title. Because... Twilight Princess had a Gamecube and Wii version? I mean, okay, go for it, at least there's precedent for this theory I guess.
It's already been confirmed that the new Zelda will be released for both the WiiU and NX. A WiiU version demo is going to be playable at this years E3.

I think the implication was because it's also being released for the successor it's not going to be an incentive to purchase the WiiU?

Feb 7, 2016
Bought one brand new with a copy of Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario/Luigi U, and ZombiU.
Mario Kart was a great time, really enjoyed that. My friend coerced me into buying a WiiU in the first place to play it.
The Super Mario/Luigi game was fine. Didn't play it much.
ZombiU was really interesting, and even fun, but the FOV was too narrow for me to play all the way through.

Then I picked up Wind Waker HD. Played most of it, never finished it. Very pretty, but it literally felt like a child was explaining to me what a Legend of Zelda game was, and they made it into an actual game. Got boring pretty fast.

Then that was it. I bought Monster Hunter on it to play with my brother on 3DS, but we never got into it. Debated on waiting out for a potential port of the new Zelda on WiiU, but I lacked patience with it, as it just collected dust until it was no longer black in color.

Traded it into my local used video game store toward an Xbox One. I use my Xbox almost every other day since.

Nintendo will have to really sell the NX to me HARD for me to even consider it. I skipped the Wii, regretted the WiiU, and now they are replacing it with something else. If it ends up being a uselessly gimmicky piece of tech, I'll probably skip it entirely. I'm quite bitter enough.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Bellvedere said:
shrekfan246 said:
I like this assumption that because Zelda got delayed, it's obviously going to be an NX title. Because... Twilight Princess had a Gamecube and Wii version? I mean, okay, go for it, at least there's precedent for this theory I guess.
It's already been confirmed that the new Zelda will be released for both the WiiU and NX. A WiiU version demo is going to be playable at this years E3.
Ah, fair enough. I finally managed to track it down as a throwaway addition to a Nintendo UK post. You'd figure something like that would've been bigger news in official news rather than rumor-mongering video games sites.

I think the implication was because it's also being released for the successor it's not going to be an incentive to purchase the WiiU?
I'm not sure why, though. We still know literally nothing about the NX, and it's not like the Wii version of Twilight Princess was so "omg i gotta buy a new system!!!" compared to the Gamecube version.

Plus, being a new system means that the NX won't even have the scarce library the Wii U has to help push people into buying it. Zelda isn't as big a console-seller as people seem to think, and if it's literally the only worthwhile exclusive game the NX has at launch, then I don't see why you'd elect for that over a Wii U (assuming there are other games on the Wii/Wii U that you're interested in, of course).

Of course, if Nintendo sticks to their traditions and has the NX be backwards compatible with the Wii U, then maybe I could see a justification.

Fuck, man, I dunno, I'm kinda tipsy right now because vodka really hits me hard, so I'm just rambling because I like to spew my thoughts out for nobody to care.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I bought one a month or so after launch.
I've had some great times with it, both playing alone and different partygames with friends.
Don't regret the purchase in any way, and the amount of games and hours I've played on it proves that.
So yeah, been a solid system for me.

As for the NX, I'm not the biggest smartphone user/friend, so depending on how "heavily smartphonebased" it will be, might be this is not an immediate purchase for me (for me that means 6 months from launch).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Don't have one and don't intend to buy one. Part of it is that the whole Motion Control scheme thing doesn't appeal to me(seriously, Nintendo, just make a functional controller without gimmicks. That's all most of us want). The other part is that there are very few exclusives for the Wii/Wii-U that would make me want to buy an entire console. I bought a PS3 because of the backwards compatibility, which meant I could play 3 generations of games on one machine and there are more then enough PS exclusives to make the purchase worth it. For the Wii/Wii-U there's.....

-Super Mario Galaxy.
-A few Zelda games.
-Something Something I forget.

And that's not going into my massive steam backlog along with the PS games I haven't gotten to yet.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Don't have one, not gonna get one until either the console is dirt cheap or the very short list of exclusives that interest me finally come down in price. Its hard to justify buying a console for only a few games. Its even harder when those games are retailing for sixty bucks two years after launch.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I got your negativity, right here!

It's the first console I haven't bought from Nintendo. I was waiting for them to impress me and they utterly failed.

I know a few people who own a Wii U and most of the popular games mentioned, and they were disappointed right along with me. I really wanted to try out all the heavy hitters that Nintendo produced, and I couldn't believe how crappy the game play is with most of them. I really tried to enjoy Mario Kart 8 and SSB Wii U, but they're not as enthralling as their classic counterparts. And DK Tropical Freeze felt clumsy and stiff compared to the classic DK Country games.

Not to mention I'm pissed off with Nintendo and their crusade to eat all the let's plays and rom hacks. Oh, and the over-priced DLC and stupid toys with micro-transactions of their own.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I have one and I don't regret it. I've enjoyed my time with the heavy hitters such as Mario Kart and Smash Bros. BUT... I am completely tired of Nintendo trying to re-invent the wheel. It isn't 1987 and you're not the only game in town anymore. Focus on making user and developer friendly software, not an innovation for the sake of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Wii U is a good console; the problem is Nintendo doesn't know how to support it, and because of that, almost has no third-party line up. The system itself is better than Wii in terms of quality games with no shovelware, but they seem to live in their own little world and refuse to let go of old mentalities and tradition. I'm sorry Nintendo, but what works for Japan does not work America The New 3DS not coming with an AC Adapter you have to buy separately comes to mind.

I remember when a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans saying with all of their might that the Wii U won't end up like Dreamcast, or pulling a Sega Saturn. Give it more time they said. Well now, it's starting look more like the truth. Say what you will about the Dreamcast, but at least it had a decent line up of first and third-party games. Oh, and Sega bothered to actually advertise their fucking system! With the Wii U I'm glad I was able to get Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze, but I don't even see myself getting the NX at anytime in the future. Ironically, the lack of third-party support was what did them in with the N64. Yeah, the 5th generation console has more games compared to its contemporary, yet it was a foreshadowing of worst thing to come The Gamecube had a similar issue; fortunately there was better third-party support than all of the 3D Nintendo consoles combined.

The best thing everyone can say about the Wii U is that it nailed backwards compatibility down to a T. The PS4 and XBone stumbled so embarrassingly with the concept it's ridiculous. And at least Nintendo's aware that their console is actually a console. I love the PS4; however, Sony's console feels like a glorified PC. The XBone still has it the worst with Microsoft trying act like their gaming system is not evena console. Microsoft is trying to fix their mistake, though I still don't feel confident in picking up their console. No worthwhile exclusives, forced planned DRMSony had a similar idea, but backed out the moment Microsoft went up first in E3 2013; the PS4 (now anyway and more coming) and Wii U have the best exclusives.

P.S - I am not getting Star Fox Zero until Nintendo makes a patch that allows you to play with the classic controller. What the fuck Nintendo? You didn't force the gamepad/gyroscopic/motion control features with Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, DK: Tropical Freeze, and most of your other 1st party titles. You guys more or less admitted that the gamepad was pointless, so why start forcing in it on every one again? Talk about ruining a great idea with forced "innovation".

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Huh. Surprising to see the top 2 options be entirely even as of this posting... and it seems things are finally getting a little more negative than positive overall, even if it's basically deadlocked either way. Probably the weakest showing by Nintendo in terms of tech and offerings compared to reception, I must note.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I waited until Black Friday 2014 to get a Wii U. Pikmin 3 was the only non-re-release game out at the time I really wanted to try and I had waited a year before getting a chance to play it. Zelda was the other announced title I was really eyeing, and I knew it was pushed back to the end of 2015 (at the time). There were even hopes in my feeble mind of Metroid and F-Zero revivals for the still young system. I figured there wouldn't be any price drops and the system does have some other games worth checking out either on the way or already here, so why not get it since I'll be getting in for Zelda Wii U. After all that's happened in the past few months though, I now truly regret taking the dive early. (Twilight Princessed again. I better not have to wait a month this time to buy the game for the system I've already invested in, Nintendo.)

It wasn't all for nothing. If I didn't buy the Wii U, I certainly wouldn't get one of the other consoles. My opinion then and today is their libraries still look bare for the price of entry, even with the very nice bundles like the Uncharted bundle that includes all 4 games and a PS4.[footnote]I'm kinda worn out on Uncharted and similar games.[/footnote] Pikmin 3 was worth checking out. I've yet to play my copy of Bayonetta 2, but the demo was good. The little additions to the HD versions of the Gamecube Zeldas did offer revitalized ways to play them, but those are still games I often played for the past 10 years or more, nothing truly new. I do like Yoshi's Woolly World, but Nintendo's platform design never jived with me. (I never could get into Mario games, especially 2D titles.) Posting screenshots from games, like the 2D Metroids, on the Miiverse and commenting on other's posts is probably the most I'll ever enjoy participating in this new sharing craze. The system does have some games worth checking out. (Unfortunately Star Fox Zero is only one of those titles if you're already a SF fan.) I just made the mistake of buying it a couple years too early. (I should have just bought a copy of Pikmin 3 and kept it sealed for 2 years. and that's what I'll do if an interesting NX game looks like it will get that sinister limited run shit Nintendo likes to pull. I've learned to wait, even for Nintendo systems to prove themselves first.)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I got one, and I have... minor regrets. Well, more like just reservations. I enjoy Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Yoshi. For the price point, I can't complain too much. It's significantly cheaper than PS4 or XBone, and I have had a good deal of fun.

However, with no unique Zelda (which had been a major selling point for me), plus the news that its time will end after a shorter run than its competitors, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little burned by the choice. NX will have to work harder to earn my trust.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Bellvedere said:
shrekfan246 said:

actually that sorta makes the Wii U version even more appealing to me now.

when the same situation happened with Twilight Princess everyone jumped on the Wii motion control bandwagon and bought the Wii version of the game.

hardly anyone bought the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess though and now it's actually a valuable collectible haha. who knows? same thing could always possibly happen with the Wii U version of this new Zelda coming out.