Poll: What do you think when people don't care about the plot?

DestinyDriven

Jun 30, 2011
OK, have you ever been on youtube, or maybe played with a friend etc and found out that someone doesn't care about the plot? And I mean, they don't even give the plot a chance. I seem to be seeing a lot more of that. I like to look at LP's on youtube a lot, and my nerd self wants to rage so hard when this happens.

I have now seen 2 people on youtube both doing a Dead Space 2 LP, both female, wanting to skip the first ever cut scene for it (I am just glad they can't), and they haven't even played the first game either. They have also done no research into the games, so they are totally brand new to this franchise (not to mention they look like they are new to gaming).

So not only are they doing it the wrong way by playing DS2 first, (but I guess I can forgive that.. just about), they don't even care about the amount of work everyone has put in to make such games with plots.

I decided to make a poll about this. I want to know your opinions. Do you find that to be very ignorant, or is it just me? Have you noticed this happening? What do you feel about it? I would like to see your opinions because I want to know if I am not the only gamer who wants to bite those peoples heads off... <.<

midget_roxx

Feb 22, 2010
Each to their own. No need to hate on people because they like different things, but then the world would be a lot less interesting :)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
If it's an LP, you're doing it wrong if you skip the cutscenes.

As far as anyone else goes, meh. People play games for different reasons.

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
I will watch the cutscenes first time around, i wont watch them every time, and i dont like it where they arent skippable, also depends on how long and how often they are, sometimes it just ruins a game for me, my perfect cut-scene to gameplay ratio is 2-3mins intro and for every second of cutscene you want to do next you need atleast one minute of gameplay leading up to it, i dont mind if i play for and hour then a quick 60second cutscene showing something nice happens what i dont want is 5-10 min scenes every 30-45 mins.

sometimes too much emphasis is put on the plot, it should be told through the story rather than loads of flashy cut scenes.

so ye i dont blame people for not caring about plot, chillax max its only games after all, it doesnt affect you personally, if you dont like someones vids then dont watch em?

DestinyDriven

Jun 30, 2011
Collins254 said:
I will watch the cutscenes first time around, i wont watch them every time, and i dont like it where they arent skippable, also depends on how long and how often they are, sometimes it just ruins a game for me, my perfect cut-scene to gameplay ratio is 2-3mins intro and for every second of cutscene you want to do next you need atleast one minute of gameplay leading up to it, i dont mind if i play for and hour then a quick 60second cutscene showing something nice happens what i dont want is 5-10 min scenes every 30-45 mins.

sometimes too much emphasis is put on the plot, it should be told through the story rather than loads of flashy cut scenes.

so ye i dont blame people for not caring about plot, chillax max its only games after all, it doesnt affect you personally, if you dont like someones vids then dont watch em?
I can understand wanting to skip them if you already know them, but I don't particularly like it when someone doesn't give a toss. There are many mindless games out there for that exact reason, so when a game comes along with a plot, it's there for a reason. It's nice to have mindless games, but it is also nice to have games with amazing plots.

Or perhaps this is just because I am a huge media fan. I love media so I am passionate about it. When someone comes along who really doesn't care about the amount of thought and time that goes into such things, it irks me because I respect it. It also doesn't help when said people end up getting seriously confused about what is happening because they were not paying attention to the plot in the first place. Unless it was meant to be a humourous LP, I don't find it a nice thing.

Yeah I wouldn't generally watch people like this, but being female, it's nice to see other females do LP's. It's too bad that so far I haven't come across any ones I find decent.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It doesn't bother me at all what other people do.

As long as i'm enjoying the game and the plot within it who gives a shit what Bob down the road thinks?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Generally, since people are much more similar than most people think, if people don't care about the plot it tends to mean it's a crap plot. It doesn't make them stupid or plebeian, especially when so many games have such shit storytelling.
This.
Now where are the people who care about the gameplay.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, people play games to have fun. If the plot isn't fun to you, fine, I won't look any differently at you. I take a look at the plot and see if it's interesting or not. If not, then the game wouldn't be any less fun.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
To each their own I guess. I would rather pay attention to the story, but I think having fun would be more important.

Although I have to say that one thing that would probably annoy me when watching an LP video would be talking over/skipping cutscenes that haven't been watched yet. I would have thought it would be the normal thing to do so people who haven't played the game get to see the cutscenes and cinematics.

DestinyDriven

Jun 30, 2011
veloper said:
Generic Gamer said:
Generally, since people are much more similar than most people think, if people don't care about the plot it tends to mean it's a crap plot. It doesn't make them stupid or plebeian, especially when so many games have such shit storytelling.
This.
Now where are the people who care about the gameplay.
I care about the gameplay. But I also care about the plot (if it has one). I care about games as a whole. I just don't like it when people don't care about the game. Which yes, does include the plot as well. You know, with the whole attitude of "I want it NOW, screw everything else".

There is a difference between not caring about the plot because the plot isn't that good (or you couldn't get into it), and not even giving the plot a chance, right from the very start. Even if the plot is pretty decent. It really defeats the point of actually having a plot. And there is my point I am trying to make.

If people just don't care, then what is the point of giving something like Assassin's Creed a plot? The plot is one of the most intriguing things about AC. I find the Animus and Desmond to be a very interesting part of it. In fact, I really enjoy those parts in modern times. Especially with things like subject 16 and the bleeding effect. It's also great that when playing as his ancestors, you are actually playing memories brought to life by a machine.

You also feel for the characters by understanding the plot. Yet, if no one really cares, what is the point? It's nice to have games without plots, but it scares me that so many people don't care for games that actually try to tell an amazing story as well as having amazing character development and gameplay. If people don't care, developers and publishers will continue to produce mindless games. Which mindless games may be all nice and fun, but I don't think that is the best road to be heading down to be honest.. Brotherhood's plot and gameplay suffered a great deal just for some crappy multiplayer (which should not be in games that are intended to be single player anyway). -_-

Harb

May 2, 2010
Why should I care how others want to play THEIR games as long as their attitude doesn't personally affect me?
They can do whatever they want. Ignore the plot, play upside down or with closed eyes. :)

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Harb said:
Why should I care how others want to play THEIR games as long as their attitude doesn't personally affect me?
They can do whatever they want. Ignore the plot, play upside down or with closed eyes. :)
Oh hai like minded fellow.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
If people play for fun, then why does it matter how they achieve it(in single player or co-op anyway)?

Lullabye said:
Harb said:
Oh hai like minded fellow.
Hi, how are you?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Why are you implying that everyone on this site cares about plot? Isn't that a little ignorant to word your post in such a way to imply that you can't be on this site if you don't care about plot? That's honestly rude, you know.

As someone who could give a shit less about most plots in games (writing in games is inherently subpar nine times out of ten, simply because of the quantity required), I fail to see why I should care about how or why other people play their games. Honestly, a vast majority of plots serve no purpose beyond setting up why you get to kill things ( though there's nothing really wrong with that). I see no harm in disregarding it.

Besides, why do you care about how other people play games? Is it really THAT offensive that someone does something different than yourself?

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
To me, a game is empty without a good story. But if you'd prefer to hack and slash your way to the ending with no regard for what events catapulted you there, it's your loss. No skin off my nose.