Poll: What do YOU want in a video game

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'm kinda curious what people criteria is for a video game , What does a game NEED to have to make you interested in buying it , keep playing it , and ultimatly finishing it ? Does the game need to be flawless, or are some things more important to you than others, be it story , gameplay , difficulty , good controls, graphics , good audio/sountracks, good camera angles, fluent gameplay, immersion , realisme,good voice acting , etc...etc..(this is off the top of my head if you have other examples of whats important for YOU be my guest and add it to the list ) or all of the above and more.

For me the ABSOLUTE most important things are , Story , good challenge (difficulty) and proper controls, if a game has those, then the rest doesnt matter if they pull those three aspects off well.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
What about gameplay? That's the most important to a lot of people. Usually most people in these threads.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
well, everything has to be at least okay, otherwise its no good... No point having a good story if the voice acting is done by parrots who have copied their speech from microsoft sam.
At the same time, no point having really innovative and interesting gameplay, if the controls require you to be doing a handstand in order to play.

Although assuming everything is at a decent minimum a good story is what i enjoy most.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Firstly, I want story. Without story, it is a waste of time to me. Secondly would be gameplay. Followed thereafter by aesthetics in third.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
The most important thing about a game is......is it well thought out?

Time and dedication can go a loooong way in any game of any genre.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Characters.
I've played both good games and bad games, yet it always comes down to the characters.
A game can be good, but if I don't relate or care about the characters, then it'll never be good.
Just like a game can be terrible in every way, but have great character development, and I still enjoy it.
My favorite games that I replay a thousand times may be fun, have great replayability, and have excellent gameplay, but its the characters that make me come back again and again.
Story comes in at close second, and thats because the story is how the characters relate to each other.

FDLinc

May 8, 2011
Give us a game where the story, the cutscenes and the gameplay mix together in a seemless way, like how Killzone 2 had that shift between cutscene and gameplay without losing the emertion.

Also, devs, if you're going to make an FPS, please for god's sake make it so that when you're looking at someone, you're not pointing your bloody gun at the person.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
you forgot the #1 thing games keep leaving out these days-FUN.

plain and simple whats wrong w/ just a game simply being fun? not singl;e aspects or w/e, just fun :)

mada7

May 14, 2009
It's a bit of a mixed bag for me. The games I find really great are the games that have good mechnics in them that make me think of a lot of what if scenarios. Beyond that the game needs to work properly and have easy to remember controls. If a game doesnt have those two it will find itself on the shelf very quickly. The next most important thing is that the game doesnt make a puzzle out of figuring out where Im supposed to go and what Im supposed to do.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
A good story, but good controls come just after provided the story is good. Failing that, if there is a meh story, then the gameplay in terms of fun enemies and scenarios wins. All of those together wouldn't go amiss though. They are my winners of what is most important but all aspects being good is the ideal.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
What I want most in a videogame is to be able to set down the controller/take my hands of the keyboard after I have finished and say to myself "Wow, that was a damn-fine game" un-ironically. So... None of the above? All of the above? Some of the above? Just so long as I am able to do what I said above, I am good.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Sigh, all I want is to be impressed, through video (aesthetics, and graphics, camera work, etc.) and audio (voiceovers, sound effects, and music), and feel immersed (good controls, good gameplay that fits with everything else)

El Cookio

Dec 4, 2009
Physics, I love realistic physics in games. Nothing worse than seeing the same old animation every time someone makes a tackle, or dies, or whatever.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Tied for number 1 are Gameplay and Story. Preferably a story that is driven by the gameplay.
2. Good controls. Got to have good controls.
3. Decent difficulty curve and challenge.
4. Good art design. *NOTE: That does NOT mean good graphics. I don't give 2 shits about graphics, I'm talking about visual and art design. Watch the Extra Credits video on Graphics and Aesthetics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3201-Graphics-vs-Aesthetics] if you don't get what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Oh yeah; I forgot to mention, above all these things, it has to be FUN!!

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
For me, now-a-days I've turned into someone who I've always despised....

I always used to say "people who play games for the story are idiots"
But now, I find myself actually playing games and rating them on the story... Seeing if the characters are relate-able and if their motivations are true...

I mean, there are still some games that you can never play for the story (Need for Speed is the front-runner for a game that doesn't need a story) But still, one of the best game stories I've come across is from Metro 2033...
Sure, the game itself wasn't perfect, but the story is morally questioning...

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
not_you said:
For me, now-a-days I've turned into someone who I've always despised....

I always used to say "people who play games for the story are idiots"
But now, I find myself actually playing games and rating them on the story... Seeing if the characters are relate-able and if their motivations are true...

I mean, there are still some games that you can never play for the story (Need for Speed is the front-runner for a game that doesn't need a story) But still, one of the best game stories I've come across is from Metro 2033...
Sure, the game itself wasn't perfect, but the story is morally questioning...
Just outta curiousity , why did you think that people who played games for the story were idiots o_O

also i do agree with the story for metro 2033 was pretty good especially by FPS standards, plus it had a good mix of challenge , skill, and OMG wtf was that moments