Poll: What does Easter mean to you?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It has great religious significance to me, because when the Mighty Bunny returns, we all shall fall.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
That time of year when I finally get enough time to exercise but everyone ruins it for me by giving me a fucktonne of chocolate which I feel obligated to eat.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Free time to go home from college and spend time with my family in the snow.

Also chocolate, and eggs for breakfast every day of the long weekend.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I went for the "religious significance" option in the poll since, I am Christian and y'know, it's important to us and such. Also, I am making an effort to emphasize the importance of today and Sunday since really, Christmas and presents are all well and good, but these days are in remembrance of when he actually sacrificed himself for us, and, I think that's a little more important than his birth. Of course, considering where I am, most of you probably don't really care and stopped reading this post at the word "Christian".

Silverslith

Sep 13, 2011
Its like Christmas, but without the presents and tree. I make a feast (usually a turkey or a ham) and gorge on chocolate. Aside from that, not much.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Three guys died and are at the pearly gates of heaven. St. Peter tells them that they can enter the gates if they can answer one simple question, "What does Easter mean to you?" The first man replies, "Oh, that's easy! It's the holiday in November when everyone gets together, eats turkey, and are thankful..." "Wrong!," replies St. Peter, and proceeds to ask the second guy the same question. The second one replies, "Easter is the holiday in December when we put up a nice tree,exchange presents, and celebrate the birth of Jesus." St. Peter looks at the second fellow, shakes his head in disgust, pulls the lever to the trap door, and then peers over his glasses at the third guy and asks, "What does Easter mean to you?" The third man smiles confidently and looks St. Peter in the eyes, "I know what Easter is. Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the Jewish celebration of Passover. Jesus and his disciples were eating at the last supper and Jesus was later deceived and turned over to the Romans by one of his disciples. The Romans took him to be crucified and he was stabbed in the side, made to wear a crown of thorns, and was hung on a cross with nails through his hands. He was buried in a nearby cave which was sealed off by a large boulder." St. Peter smiles broadly with delight. Then the third man continues, "Every year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out...and, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter."

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Fuck all, really. It's just a brief and mostly insignificant holiday where I get to sit on my Atheist arse eating chocolate for two weeks.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
For me, Easter is that time of the year when I break out in spots from eating far too much chocolate. Might mix it up this year by consuming far too much alcohol.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
This is interesting. Where is Easter an actual holiday off from work/school?

I have lived my whole life in Washington State in the U.S., and I have never had any time off because of Easter. I'm working today (can't you tell?), and I will be at work on Monday.

My son has the week off from school, but it's just Spring Break for him.

Maybe it's just because I live up in the godless Northwest. :)

So, I'm curious. Is getting time off around Easter mostly a European thing, or are there places in the United States which also treat this as a big deal? (I'm just jealous because I won't get a day off of work until May.)

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Dargocitfer said:
This is interesting. Where is Easter an actual holiday off from work/school?

I have lived my whole life in Washington State in the U.S., and I have never had any time off because of Easter. I'm working today (can't you tell?), and I will be at work on Monday.

My son has the week off from school, but it's just Spring Break for him.

Maybe it's just because I live up in the godless Northwest. :)

So, I'm curious. Is getting time off around Easter mostly a European thing, or are there places in the United States which also treat this as a big deal? (I'm just jealous because I won't get a day off of work until May.)
Dunno about the rest of Europe, but kids generally get a couple of weeks off from school at Easter here in England. My sister's been driving me up the bloody wall. My dad got today and yesterday off, and I think he might have next Monday off as well.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Kinder Egg Easter Egg.

It means nothing to me. I actually forgot it was Easter weekend.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Extra long weekend, and an unhealthy amount of Påskmust! [http://www.idaolsson.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Apotekarnes-P%C3%A5skmust.jpg]
Beverage of the Gods!

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
To me, it means South Park-level satire, an ancient religion's constant attempts to stay relatable and "hip" despite mostly being run by a bunch of phobic twats, and a holiday I didn't ask for but will happily take anyway. That said, I have the utmost respect for those who hold an amount of religious significance t'wards it, it's just that... well... I'm not part of your faith so I don't care.

It does make me think. Why don't we all get other holidays off? Why is it just the Christian ones? I wanna celebrate Hanukkah, too! I'm not Christian and I get Christmas. I'm not Jewish, but can I have Hanukkah?

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Oh god mom. No, I don't have to wear that fancy shirt, mine is just fine. No, I don't think anyone will care if my pants don't match my shirt. You want me to wear a purple undershirt too? No, stop, put the bottle of cologne down!
I...what.

OT: Chocolate eggs woooooo.
Also days off school in which I discover that I am one of those people who miss school and don't really like the holidays. :/

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Four day weekend and having to buy chocolate for my girlfriend.

Christianity has never seemed logical to me.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
... Judo training on monday is cancelled. That is literally the only reason I even thought about it being Easter (super markets have been stocking eggs for the last 3 months anyhow). I'm not religious, and I don't have school on mondays, so were it not for sports it would've gone right over my head.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Easter means nothing to me, but if I get a 4 day weekend.. I don't care what it's about I'm happy to have some time off.