Poll: What faction would you choose? (Alpha Centauri)

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
A little blast from the past for you guys.

Im talking about Sid Mayers Alpha Centauri.
For those who don't know this game was sort`of a sequel to Civ2. Essentially, a Civilization game in space (and one of my favorite games of all times).
The story behind it is that due to war and global ecological catastrophe earth has become pretty much uninhabitable (although the exact details of what happened were never given)
In a desperate attempt to save the humanity a ship was lunched by UN with the best and brightest in order to settle a planet in the Alpha Centauri system and start anew.
However as the ship was getting near the destination a catastrophe happen and ship`s captain and the leader of this human expedition was killed.
Chaos erupted, and people started fighting and blaming each other. Essentially a civil war in outer space.
Amid this chaos new leaders emerged (mostly ex-advisers of the now defunct captain) and each one had his/her own vision on how this new human society should be run.

Somehow ship managed to reach its destination, and its time to board the colony pods. But despite the original plan, where everyone was supposed to stay together and united, each new leader took a pod for him/her self promising to lead the humanity toward a better future for anyone who will follow them.

Now it`s your time to decide. The ship is crumbling around you and you must get into one of the pods, and join one of the new factions............which one will you choose?
(Note: for those who played the game, im not asking you about the favorite faction gameplay-wise.)

Gaians

Led by Lady Deidre Skye, their main focus is ecology. Lady Deidre swore never to repeat the tragedy of Earth. The only way for humanity to survive in the long run is to learn and live in harmony with nature. Nature and balance comes before everything...even human life!
She`s no "tree-hugging hippy" though, and her philosophy is not that of peace but of sacrifice and adaptation. Becoming something more than just aliens on this new planet. An integral part of it! Her main technological focus is that of biology and living things. She wants to understand this new planet....she want to be part of this planet (and btw the planet has an Eco-system of its own).

In the great commons at Gaia's Landing we have a tall and particularly beautiful stand of white pine, planted at the time of the first colonies. It represents our promise to the people, and to Planet itself, never to repeat the tragedy of Earth.
-Lady Deirdre Skye, "Planet Dreams"

Hive

This one is kinda tricky to describe. They are led by Sheng-ji Yang and it`s a mix of Communism and ancient eastern philosophies.
The focus here is on eliminating individuality and reaching a state were humans no longer function as individuals but as cells in a bigger organism (think Borg, but with less technology and more spiritualism).
Like a bee hive, or ant colony, separate individuals are meaningless and weak and only a small part of the bigger picture, each one with it`s own duties.
However this "unification" is not to be reach with mindless tyranny but with discipline and meditation. Humans must learn and realize how insignificant each one is on its own. They must learn to abandon their selfish desires and to separate mind from body.
After all, body is nothing more than chemistry. Neuro-signals coming to our brains, Deceiving us into believing in "us". Giving us false sense of reality.
If we learn to abandon our self's and to "tame" our bodies, we will reach the colectivistic utopia and become something much greater than any individual could!

Or at least that's what their leader believes :)

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
-Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

University

Led by academician Prokhor Zakharov. Their main focus is science and knowledge. They believe that the only truly valuable thing humans have is their intellect. Research and scientific breakthrough is most highly valued and put above everything else. They don't hide behind "empty" morals, nor are they much preoccupied with social or economical issues.
They believe in facts and evidence and ridicule the childish need of humans to feel safe and that there is some hidden grand purpose to life.
If it wasn't clear by now, they are fiercely atheistic.
Scientific progress is the only thing that matters....everything else is expendable.

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist
-Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Believers

Pretty much the opposite of University. Led by Sister Miriam Godwinson. She believes that the reason world(Earth) has ended is because humans turned away from God.
However she is not to be mistaken for a "simple" religious zealot. She doesn't hide behind millenia old dogmas, and old fashioned religions but accepts the constantly changing nature of humanity and reminds us that God is watching!
She firmly believes that other factions will fail because they are too concerned about their own needs and wishes, and have forgotten God.
God is everywhere but humanity is too proud to see it.

The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.
-Sister Miriam Godwinson, "A Blessed Struggle"

Spartans

Led by Corazon Santiago. They have a very simple philosophy. Since the beginning of time men fought each other, why should things be any different on this new world.
Military strengths and discipline is the main focus of this faction. However her goal is not so much to conquer and dominate everyone else, but to always be prepared for someone else s invasion.
What the point of having a prosperous society if you don't have the guns to defend it?

Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?
-Col. Corazon Santiago "Planet: A Survivalist's Guide"

Morgan Industries

Led by Nwabudike Morgan. They are the direct opposite of Gaians.
Where lady Deidre preaches harmony Morgan preaches opportunity. Resources are there to be used and usurped. Industry and economy are the main focus of this faction.
Morgan cares little about ecology or the planet.
What will we do if we cause another end of the world? Simple, change the planet. We are the top predators, the top of the food chain and its our right, no our DUTY to use the resources on our disposal as we please.
The word "greed" has no negative connotation for them. Instead it is recognized for what it really is, part of the human nature.

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"

Peacekeepers

Led by Pravin Lal. They are the natural successors of the original mission. Pravin Lal was the second in command of the original ship and has sworn to carry the UN principles to this new world. They stand for human rights and value individuality above all else (the opposite of the Hive).
Despite the fact that many have blamed the "old ways" for the Earths downfall and think that we simply cannot afford the old values or be so naive on this new world, Pravin Lal will never never think of human rights as a luxury, but the base and a building block of every society.

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

So, the clock is ticking, the ship is going to fall apart any second....which leader will you follow? Which faction do you choose?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Zakharov all the way.

Who cares if they steal my fusion tech. I already have singularity drop troopers ready to deploy! Now if only that Miriam would stop picking fights with me, she's pesky. Oh and after she's out of the way, Santiago too. Morgan is a good ally usually. So is Lal. Yang and Deirdre could go either way tho.

But yes, University. FOR SCIENCE!

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
The University is for me. I still like Lal and the peacekeepers alot though.

My favorites quotes come from Zhakharov and Morgan. Morgan mainly because it's interesting to see someone so absolutely corrupt.

"The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist. Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done.""

This is my favorite quote in game filled with alot of great quotes. Like Fallout: New Vegas, each faction was an answer to a difficult problem.

I miss games like Alpha Centauri.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I don't play, but from reading the descriptions I like university the best. Science is what makes us strong so we must embrace it.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
University. Because, you know, SCIENCE.

Who cares about profits or the size of your military when you have machines capable of using every single resource on the planet and guns so incredibly effective the enemy doesn't even realize it's losing miserably.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Its not a blast from the past for me. Bought and played it for the fist time after a gog sale ^_^

Human Hive all the way! Spread fast and large. And take whatever you dont have! Plus: Dystopian future! Wheeee!

VeryOddGamer said:
University. Because, you know, SCIENCE.
Strength in numbers with the human hive :p

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
SCIENCE!!! is an attractive way to play the game, however, it is also quite effective to play Gaians and take over the world with invincible armies of mindworms. Nothing says "recycling" like laying eggs in the living brains of your enemies.

I think the most broken, however, is Morgan, as you get most benefit from Infinite City Sprawl, getting massive energy and production and basically being able to buy All The Things.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'd go with the Nautilus Pirates from the expansion pack, even if they're more akin to Somalian pirates than the swashbucklers from days of yore.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
Guys just a little reminder. Im not asking you whats your favorite faction, or what faction you think its strongest.

Im more interested in your philosophical views.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I gotta go with the Peacekeepers

I was thinking of siding with the University orginally, but, while science for the sake of science is all good and fine, what happens when its the only reason for the state to exist? In a world where no old rules apply, whats going to keep freedom of expression alive when some person could opress it by killing dissidents "in the name of science" just like the belivers could murder those they deem heretics "In the name of christ"?

Its a balancing act. There has gotta be rules to stop people from using each other, but there has gotta be enough freedom to preserve individuality, and for the people actually living in the nation to choose whats important to them in a collective fashion.