Poll: what Fallout 3 dlc should I play?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I gave Fallout 3 another chance after barely playing it a while back. So far I find it to be the bethesda standard. The bethesda standard is essentially means this game is well designed for exploring while almost everything else is uninteresting and/or shallow. The exploration the only noteworthy positive thing I have to say about fallout 3.

I have not even made an effort to find james(aka the guy voiced by liam neeson) and I am in no rush to. I felt no motivation to find him when I got out of the vault. Then I explored because there is nothing else of value to do. After exploring for a while and now want something a bit different.
Maybe one of the dlc will be a nice break away from the wasteland.

EDIT: It seems by finding some vault I may have sequence broke the main quest and That is disappointing. The sequence braking was not the disappointing part. I was hoping for a potentially interesting vault to explore and instead I got a boring vault. I guess while I'm there I might as well just do the quest and hope I get a good amount of exp from it.

EDIT2: I found him and now I don't care about him and project purity. I have enough clean water and The people in towns survive well enough without a logical source of food. If they don't need a logical source food then they don't need clean water either. I will just get back to exploring and go to rivet city when find it convenient.

Which dlc should play if I only play one of them?

DLC's
broken steel:
not an option because it would require me to beat the main quest and that may never happen. I only care about exploring and quests will only be done when convenient. If I ever do finish the main quest It will be a long time from now since I will be starting school in a few days.

Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta:
From what hear they both focus on fallout 3's weak combat mechanics while dropping the exploring. I could justify doing dlc with no exploring if it has decent writing. I'm in no rush to try them. I have mod that adds stealth armors; so chinese stealth armor is not a valid reason to play Anchorage.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2654

that leaves the pitt or point lookout to do
If I get no reply to this thread then I flip a coin.

edit:
the pitt focuses on story. I have little confidence in Bethesda's ability to write but I will play this before trying Anchorage and zeta.

point lookout is exploring an entirely new area. Exploring is what Bethesda does best when making games. So far plan on playing point lookout first.

Anchorage and zeta: still not in a rush to try them.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
For me I thought point lookout was the most interesting after Mothership Zeta (yeah, yeah get the torches and pitchforks because I liked MZ). The main story of PL isnt all that great IMO but the various side quests around the area were what really drew me in. There's...I want to say 5 or 6 of them to do. Also IMO PL has the better characters and writing but his may be more because of the Pitt's singular focus on one story arc. Ultimately PL is a DLC I can spend a lot of time exploring, the Pitt is a single story you play and forget

As for the pitt while it has more interesting gear theres really only one main quest and IMO its not all that great. It tries to be deep with a morale choice that Ill not spoil but the few times Ive played it I just felt like you were "damned if you do and damned if you dont".

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I'd have to recommend Point Lookout as well. You get a new, different area to explore and some pretty creepy-looking locales. The Pitt is a more hellish location than the Capital Wasteland, which makes it look pretty nifty. It does, however, have a smaller and less interesting area to explore.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
If you like exploring, then Point Lookout is definitely the best choice. Its "campaign" is only like four missions, and the rest is just nifty stuff to look at.

Mothership Zeta has some cool aspects, but I found it to be an intense slog and generally more tedious than any part of the base game. There's one tower defense-like segment that took me probably 20 times to squeak through due to the awkwardness of the control system and the uselessness of my companions.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Point Lookout. It gives you more of what Bethesda is good at: open ended environments to explore, which is a whole lot more content than the other DLCs can boast (not that they aren't worth a play eventually).

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I despise Point Lookout. Shitty swamp that is no fun to explore, disgusting mutant hillbillies in overalls tougher then Super Mutants, armed with civil war era rifles that magically tear through power armour instantly (and destroy normal armour even quicker) but are useless in your hands.

Shit DLC.

Go with The Pitt. It's actually interesting.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Point Lookout is better for exploration but The Pitt has a better plot. I personally much preferred The Pitt but maybe you'd like Point Lookout more given that exploration is what you're after. Can't say if you'll be disappointed or happy with a swamp though - I wasn't thrilled by it. But you don't do The Pitt for exploration, I'll say that much.

Maybe you're better flipping a coin.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
Which dlc should play if I only play one of them?

DLC's
broken steel:
not an option because it would require me to beat the main quest and that may never happen. I only care about exploring
Let me stop you right there. Get Point Lookout; you'd have the most fun with that one. It has the most substantial map to explore. It's like getting another 5th of the Wasteland added on and there's a lot of weird things to find.

btw- you probably didn't break the main quest but it sounds like you may have skipped a good number of the story missions which is probably a good deal for you.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Windcaler said:
For me I thought point lookout was the most interesting after Mothership Zeta (yeah, yeah get the torches and pitchforks because I liked MZ).
I though it was great. The perfect way to end the game in my opinion, so I'd save that for last. I voted for The Pitt dlc because it contains my favorite weapon, the steel knuckles. They allow you to punch people's heads into bloody chunks without using an oversized power glove with one punch animation

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
You just had to say "Power Glove", PoolCleaningRobot. You just had to.

Now look at what you made me do!

<youtube=AacoxHFYvZw>

In all seriousness, though, Point Lookout is my fave. New Vegas wins the DLC contest, though, through sheer virtue of having Big Mountain's offered content. Humour in a post-Black Isle and post-Interplay Fallout title! Who'da thunk it?!

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Basically they are all crap so it depends what your looking for. If you want game breaking items then operation anchorage, otherwise i can't help you. I've played them all through with 3 characters and i find all of them quite tedious and basic with very little to add to the main game which is an absolute classic. Still...for 6 quid with all the dlc i wasn't upset with my purchase.

I'd also say the same if it were the DLC's for New vegas...poor

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I'd go with The Pitt. It had a far better story than any of the other DLCs. If you like exploration over story, you'll probably like Point Lookout better though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Spaceman Spiff said:
I'd go with The Pitt. It had a far better story than any of the other DLCs. If you like exploration over story, you'll probably like Point Lookout better though.
I loved the Pitt. But I think TC needs to do Mothership Zeta first, get some great weapons, then do this.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
The Pitt is alright, but the setting doesn't really differ that much from the usual abandoned warehouses of the core game. Mothership Zeta has a neat setting but is otherwise completely forgettable. Operation Anchorage is a nice departure with an entirely different color pallet and it can set you up with some really nice weapons, but it's completely linear and almost entirely devoid of exploration.

Like so many others, Point Lookout is my choice. Different setting, new enemies, new weapons, new locations and a nice atmosphere round out a great package. It also has a really cool part where you trip balls, which alone makes the DLC worth playing.

Actually, what the hell are you doing playing Fallout 3? Play New Vegas instead.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Regardless of the main quest, doesn't broken steel open up the level cap and add a ton of new abilities?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
While exploring is fun in Point Lookout, the story is also pretty cool. Then again, it had a bunch of themes that speak to my personality. If you haven't already explored the Dunwich building, go check out the mansion on the west side of the PL map.

Hehehehe.

faefrost said:
Regardless of the main quest, doesn't broken steel open up the level cap and add a ton of new abilities?
I don't know if OP is playing on PC but if he is he could use the command console to complete the main quest easily. If he just sets the last mission to the last phase, he might be able to do it. But I've had bad experience running around afterwards with main events untriggered.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Funnily enough, even though you say you'll never get through the main quest, I'd say Broken Steel. It was probably the coolest DLC I played, with some really cool locations and an amazing scene right at the start (Did anyone say "Massive Mech Assualt"?) To be far, I have only played BS and Point Lookout... and eh. Whilst Point Lookout is the most open DLC, it's just so boring to explore. It's got like, 3 locations I can recall. There's the intro area, the swamp hillbilly going on a drug adventure area and then there's the manor. I can actually only recall two quests from that DLC, one because you get to defend a mansion that is slowly crumbling and have some pretty cool scenes with you dropping down floors and enemies breaking in, and the other because it involves your brain (But the Big Mountain DLC for New Vegas did the brain thing so much better).

The only other thing I can remember from that is there was some kind of submarine underwater and there was some kind of old spy mission thing.

Anyway, to sum it up Point Lookout is really not the DLC you'll want. It's area to explore are dull as all hell, shitty swampy areas. It's quests are the definition of forgettable and the enemies all just play like stupidly OP super mutants. If I have to recommend one thing:

Get New Vegas!

Heh, but yeah, seriously, save up your money and buy New Vegas instead. Lot more content, lot more fun. It's actually fun to play and fight rather than Fallout 3 which while VERY fun, could get a bit slow and sluggish at times.

Not to mention you could play the 2299 mod when it comes out for New Vegas. The team and I just hope Fallout 4 doesn't beat us to the punch XD.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
Funnily enough, even though you say you'll never get through the main quest, I'd say Broken Steel. It was probably the coolest DLC I played, with some really cool locations and an amazing scene right at the start (Did anyone say "Massive Mech Assualt"?) To be far, I have only played BS and Point Lookout... and eh. Whilst Point Lookout is the most open DLC, it's just so boring to explore. It's got like, 3 locations I can recall. There's the intro area, the swamp hillbilly going on a drug adventure area and then there's the manor. I can actually only recall two quests from that DLC, one because you get to defend a mansion that is slowly crumbling and have some pretty cool scenes with you dropping down floors and enemies breaking in, and the other because it involves your brain (But the Big Mountain DLC for New Vegas did the brain thing so much better).

The only other thing I can remember from that is there was some kind of submarine underwater and there was some kind of old spy mission thing.

Anyway, to sum it up Point Lookout is really not the DLC you'll want. It's area to explore are dull as all hell, shitty swampy areas. It's quests are the definition of forgettable and the enemies all just play like stupidly OP super mutants. If I have to recommend one thing:

Get New Vegas!

Heh, but yeah, seriously, save up your money and buy New Vegas instead. Lot more content, lot more fun. It's actually fun to play and fight rather than Fallout 3 which while VERY fun, could get a bit slow and sluggish at times.

Not to mention you could play the 2299 mod when it comes out for New Vegas. The team and I just hope Fallout 4 doesn't beat us to the punch XD.
bartholen said:
The Pitt is alright, but the setting doesn't really differ that much from the usual abandoned warehouses of the core game. Mothership Zeta has a neat setting but is otherwise completely forgettable. Operation Anchorage is a nice departure with an entirely different color pallet and it can set you up with some really nice weapons, but it's completely linear and almost entirely devoid of exploration.

Like so many others, Point Lookout is my choice. Different setting, new enemies, new weapons, new locations and a nice atmosphere round out a great package. It also has a really cool part where you trip balls, which alone makes the DLC worth playing.

Actually, what the hell are you doing playing Fallout 3? Play New Vegas instead.
people are trying opened pandora's box by mentioning new vegas in a fallout 3 thread. This thread is potentially doomed to become a thread about fallout 3 vs new Vegas. I choose not to mention new vegas in my post; but since box is probably open I might as well talk about it.

I played almost 900 hours of new vegas according to steam. Fallout new vegas with dlc and mods is one of my favorite games. New vegas without mods is still guaranteed to be on my worthy mentions list. The best part is I only spent $10 to buy the version with all dlc.

Fallout 3 with mods does not have a chance of being in my favorite games list and even on my worthy mentions list so far. What fallout 3 does well makes it a good game but not a great or an amazing game.

this is the first I heard of the 2299 mod and it sounds like another hoax.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
this is the first I heard of the 2299 mod and it sounds like another hoax.
No, it's not. I'm a programmer on it with the full team, all of them who are working on this mod. We all work for the guy who actually pulled off the hoax, as we wanted to make his idea into a mod. So yeah, we have a ton of graphic, model and design artists as well as writers and such all working on it.

It's pretty damn cool.