Poll: What gender is your best friend?

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
I am male, and my best friends at any given time has until now been male, but most of my "second-best" friends are female.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I don't have many friends considering how much of an introvert I am. To answer the question at hand, I am female and the person I would consider my best friend is male. We haven't known each other terribly long but I really enjoy his company and he actually picks up on my sarcastic sense of humour instead of taking everything I say seriously like most people I know. Of course, it helps that he's into many of the same video games as I am.

We're probably not close enough to fit the standard definition of 'best friend' but he's the closest thing.

shadu95

Sep 1, 2011
Well I'm male and my best friend is also my sister, which makes it even more awkward when people think we are dating.
It annoys me because we look almost the same, if you put my hair behind my ears I look exactly like my sister except i'm like a foot taller than her :p

Apr 24, 2008
I wouldn't say I have anyone filling that role at this point in my life.

The most recent one was female (I'm male), and it did get complicated. I still hang out with her from time to time, but it's been a bit weird... if I'm honest. I think we maybe both have the impulse to be more affectionate with eachother than what the friendship label we've settled on(because reasons) would entail in most peoples minds.

Currently auditioning for companions.

Mar 30, 2010
I'm a guy, and my best mate is a lass. The pair of us just click, we get one another without any words needing to be exchanged, and during the eight years we've known each other I can honestly say that there's no-one else I would rather have in my life. We've always got on like a house on fire, and as our friendship has been free of the will-they-won't-they tension that is an undercurrent of most male/female relationships (one of the things we have in common is our taste in women) we've been free to just be ourselves around one another.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I have 3 best friends.

I didn't choose the last option for "political correctness". I chose it because I don't identify under conventional gender terms.

I am genderfluid. Meaning I identify sometimes as male, sometimes female, sometimes both, sometimes neither, sometimes androgynous, and sometimes as no gender.

My best friends identify themselves as male, female, and robot. The female and the robot are on both sides of me in my profile photo.

Personally, I find gender to be unimportant in matters of friendship and anyone who is that concerned about it to me operating under archaic views of what friendship should be. However, I have always had a lot more male friends than female. And everyone thinks that my best friends and I are in some weird poly relationship. But honestly we couldn't care less. Oh and I am apparently sister to one of them and her lesbian lover according to her work and a few of the businesses around her work....and no one believes either of us when we say otherwise. We laugh anytime its brought up

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
I'm female with two people I would consider to be best friends, one is female and one is male. I actually tend to make friends with the opposite sex more easily than the same sex, so I don't particularly have any problem with the idea of close platonic friendships with people of the opposite sex.

I will admit that there were issues with romantic attraction with both the male and female friend in my case. In the case of the male he was interested and I was not; in the case of the female we were both interested, although I was likely more so. Ultimately nothing significant came of it. In both cases folks eventually decided they'd prefer to maintain the friendship than pursue their romantic feelings.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
my best friend is, as i love to call him 'my gay best friend', because he's gay, still hits on me despite being female, and neither of us take this seriously...

there is such a thing as a totally 'platonic' relationship, i always find it silly when people mistake that for some kind of 'unresolved sexual tension', there's just something about the 'best friend' that, while they 'get' you perfectly, you'd honestly never thought about them naked... or wanting to be with them naked XD

now for me this is always 'weird' territory as i don't consider him or any other friend i have this way (as they're 'freinds' not 'lover' material) but they always start off hitting on me/wanting to be in that 'lover' category, me and my gay-bestie, we've just known each other since high school, know we wouldn't sleep together, even if its totally possible, just 'eh' not... he's more interested in my husband anyway (he introduced us XD)

so do i find it weird when people have 'opposite sex' besties? honestly i find it weirder when them and all their friends are the same gender, i've primarily hung out with the guys, as 'chicks' annoy the hell out of me and most women seem to qualify as 'chicks' and only like other 'chicks', my only female friend is like me and honestly the next on my list of 'bestie', gay-best-friend only really beating her as i've known him longer XD people who only hang with one kinda people always seem limited to me and therefore are less interesting...

*shrugs* platonic relationships, confuse the hell out of 'normal' people...

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Other, the person is unexistent, as in there really isn't anyone I consider a friend and much less a best one, there's some people I've talked to and I kinda like but I don't talk with them often enough to consider it a friendly relationship much less close, I guess I'm really not a people person but anyway it has no gender because it doesn't exist.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
1. Yes, he is.

2. I don't know if I'd use the word weird. Statistically unusual, perhaps, but "weird" can have unhealthy connotations. There is nothing zip zero wrong with men and women being just friends.

In the vast majority of guy-girl friendships, someone ends up wanting something the other doesn't (i.e. sex, romance, "the next level," whatever you call it). This leads to resentment, awkward situations, and ultimately to the dissolution of the friendship.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Other, as in I don't have a best friend. Don't feel sad, I'm just not really the type for sharing feelings and doing stuff together.

Don't think it's weird though for people of opposite genders to be friends, be best friends with whomever you want or nobody at all. Whatever suits you best.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I honestly can't narrow it down to a 'bestie' like others can. I have really, really good friends but I like them for different reasons and in different situations. There are maybe 3 I confide in a lot more than the others but I can't choose between them either.

Then there are my Escapist friends and that's a whole different story altogether! ;3

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I'm male and so is he. We don't live near each other any more but I still consider him my best friend.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'm male and I have three people I'd consider best friends - two are male and one is female. One of the guys I've known since I started secondary school and we've both stayed close despite going to universities in different parts of the country. The other two are a couple who I've known for the last three years - we all started uni together and stayed close all three years. So, in answer to the OP's question, two of my best friends are the same gender as me. However, with the one female best friend I have, no it's really not awkward or weird at all. Our friendship is strictly platonic - even before she started her relationship with my other best friend it was platonic, but yeah, it never felt weird. I definitely don't get why people would find opposite gender friendships weird - we can all be friends.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I have a few people I'd consider best friends and they're all male. I have a few close female friends, but we just aren't really close enough for me to slap that "best" label on them.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I'm male and 3 of my best friends are female, 1 is male, I only ever get stigma from my Mum who assumes I fancied each of the girls at one point.