Poll: What Hands do you Use a Knife and Fork With?

greenimp

Mar 22, 2011
I was taught knife in right hand, fork in left. Given I was taught this as the grandchild and great-grandchild of two of the highest ranked members of the RAAF and RAF respectively (taught for formal dinners)I think I can safely say my etiquette is correct.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
brandon237 said:
Zarkov said:
brandon237 said:
SckizoBoy said:
... the 'normal' way (knife in right, fork in left), though if I'm just using one utensil, it'll be in the right hand, regardless of which one it is.

A better question would be: how do you hold your knife? (And no, that's not supposed to be a euphemism...)
This, knife is always, ALWAYS in the right hand if it is being used. Or else you are just rude D:<
When the knife is not in use, the fork shall occupy the right hand.
I am done now.
u... u mad bro?

But seriously, if I were to sit down at your eating table and eat with the knife-left fork-right format you'd get your panties in a bunch and kick me out?

Because seriously, that's really silly. I mean... the thought that it would be considered rude because you use "object A" with "hand B" instead of the other way around is really stupid.

I mean... what? I think I'd almost be insulted if someone were to tell me that I can't eat that way; it'd be like someone telling me I can't write with my left hand because dead nobles many centuries ago didn't use their left hand. I mean, that's all etiquette is anyway. Tradition of how one holds certain items.

But I'm sure I'm just stating the bloody obvious and there really was no need to bring up these points.
...right?
I have made bolder the important word there XP
And it does depend, at a casual event, why aren't you eating with your fingers??? But at a formal occasion etiquette is very important, you wouldn't show up in jeans to a wedding, you wouldn't smear cake on the guests, you would use the proper dining etiquette.

And again, if it were someone else's event, go ahead, but at my formal event, don't. I just see it as good upbringing to eat with knife in the right-hand at a formal occasion.

I guess the big, bold always wasn't really accurate there, but at a formal occasion... ALWAYS XP
However you've toned down your argument to formal events, I'm still flabbergasted that you'd kick a lefty out of your party just because "it's rude to use that hand".

I mean... where do you live? I can't imagine a place that still holds those values in particular. America sure as hell doesn't, I can't imagine Europe (or at least most of Europe) does. Do you come from mars, or do you be trollin'?

All kidding aside, I know that formality matters; but in which hand you hold something is determined by your dominant hand, not a formality issue.

It's simple really. The way you hold them could be considered a formality because no one has to hold something a certain way, but in which hand (considering that lefty's exist and people aren't born the same way) could not by definition and common sense be considered a formality. A really quick summary: In which hand you hold something you're born with (or develop at an early age); thus, it can equate to the color of one's skin. How you hold something is a preference and thus can be affected by etiquette. I've spelt it out for you.

I'm sure you're a cool guy, but this opinion of yours... I mean, it's disgusting. Absolutely.

Or you just be trollin' and I just gotta stop replyin'.

Either way. I also think I'm due for a "u mad bro" right about now.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Fork in the right hand, knife in the left. *Always* in the left - none of this 'hold the knife in the right hand to cut food' bullshit. Maybe it's because I'm half-Scottish half-American that I've rejected both 'British' and 'American' styles.

Of course, I often find a knife rather unnecessary, since all you need to cut through many foods is a high pressure (rather than a sawing motion) - and the side of the outer tines of a fork or spoon serves that purpose well. I think I saw a spork with serrations once; I should try to find one of those...

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Zarkov said:
brandon237 said:
Zarkov said:
brandon237 said:
SckizoBoy said:
... the 'normal' way (knife in right, fork in left), though if I'm just using one utensil, it'll be in the right hand, regardless of which one it is.

A better question would be: how do you hold your knife? (And no, that's not supposed to be a euphemism...)
This, knife is always, ALWAYS in the right hand if it is being used. Or else you are just rude D:<
When the knife is not in use, the fork shall occupy the right hand.
I am done now.
u... u mad bro?

But seriously, if I were to sit down at your eating table and eat with the knife-left fork-right format you'd get your panties in a bunch and kick me out?

Because seriously, that's really silly. I mean... the thought that it would be considered rude because you use "object A" with "hand B" instead of the other way around is really stupid.

I mean... what? I think I'd almost be insulted if someone were to tell me that I can't eat that way; it'd be like someone telling me I can't write with my left hand because dead nobles many centuries ago didn't use their left hand. I mean, that's all etiquette is anyway. Tradition of how one holds certain items.

But I'm sure I'm just stating the bloody obvious and there really was no need to bring up these points.
...right?
I have made bolder the important word there XP
And it does depend, at a casual event, why aren't you eating with your fingers??? But at a formal occasion etiquette is very important, you wouldn't show up in jeans to a wedding, you wouldn't smear cake on the guests, you would use the proper dining etiquette.

And again, if it were someone else's event, go ahead, but at my formal event, don't. I just see it as good upbringing to eat with knife in the right-hand at a formal occasion.

I guess the big, bold always wasn't really accurate there, but at a formal occasion... ALWAYS XP
However you've toned down your argument to formal events, I'm still flabbergasted that you'd kick a lefty out of your party just because "it's rude to use that hand".

I mean... where do you live? I can't imagine a place that still holds those values in particular. America sure as hell doesn't, I can't imagine Europe (or at least most of Europe) does. Do you come from mars, or do you be trollin'?

All kidding aside, I know that formality matters; but in which hand you hold something is determined by your dominant hand, not a formality issue.

It's simple really. The way you hold them could be considered a formality because no one has to hold something a certain way, but in which hand (considering that lefty's exist and people aren't born the same way) could not by definition and common sense be considered a formality. A really quick summary: In which hand you hold something you're born with (or develop at an early age); thus, it can equate to the color of one's skin. How you hold something is a preference and thus can be affected by etiquette. I've spelt it out for you.

I'm sure you're a cool guy, but this opinion of yours... I mean, it's disgusting. Absolutely.

Or you just be trollin' and I just gotta stop replyin'.

Either way. I also think I'm due for a "u mad bro" right about now.
At my formal event, I would kick you out. Didn't say I wouldn't let you back in. You could explain to me then that you were left handed XD I actually really just want to do that one day. Hence the tone of the post. After doing it once I probably wouldn't care, but I badly want to make someone who does it the other way, even just for one night, do it knife in right.

But on a first time basis at a formal event, I would kick you out for a minute, because I can, not because or should or need to or actually feel that strongly about it (although it was hammered into my skull at every family dinner), but because I CAN. I'm a strange person who likes to mind-screw, M'kay.

EDIT: You could say my post, while not trolling itself, was a reflection of the Trolling I want to do to someone in real-life... so fine, I concede...

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
I switch. Knife in left, fork in right. I switch I need to cut something. My sister does the same thing. No one mentioned it until I was like 14, and it's somewhat hard to break such a worked-in habit (not to mentioned that it's a very minor thing, so why would I bother changing?)

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Knife in the strongest hand, fork in the other and they stay that way for the entire meal. Should I be using a spoon and fork (desserts or spaghetti) then its the Spoon in the strongest hand. I read in a book ages ago about people swapping the fork around, but I admit I didn't realise how widespread it was until reading this thread and I've never seen anyone do it.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
interspark said:
just a little public survey, i got into an arguement with someone the other day who believes that to eat with a fork in your right hand and a knife in your left hand is the "wrong" way of eating and that no-one does it, i argued that not only is there no "correct" way of eating, but that i know/have heard of several people who eat said way, so to put this arguement to rest, how do escapees hold cutlery?
Go to any fancy restaurant and you'll find that there is a correct way to use cutlery.

I heard when I was a kid that it was only done the opposite way in the US. I think it was my grandmother being funny.

(Get it? American's are so uncultured they can't even eat properly! Oh my she's a comic genius. Forgive her, she's an older English lady, I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm.)

NightmareLuna said:
And of course, remember to follow all other etiquettes aswell! You know;

"The meal begins when the host or hostess unfolds his or her napkin. This is your signal to do the same. Place your napkin on your lap, completely unfolded if it is a small luncheon napkin or in half, lengthwise, if it is a large dinner napkin. Do not shake it open.

The napkin rests on the lap till the end of the meal.

The host will signal the end of the meal by placing his or her napkin on the table. Once the meal is over, you too should place your napkin neatly on the table to the left of your dinner plate. (Do not refold your napkin, but don't wad it up, either.)"

And always keep your drink to the right, eat to your left, and use the cutlery farthest away first...

Seriously, yes etiquette says that you should hold fork in the left and knife in the right as many have stated but seriously... Do you follow all other "rules" aswell? Because if your friend says that is the correct way of eating, call him on all the other stuff aswell...

The correct way of eating is the way you feel comfortable with. I hold my fork in my right hand and knife in the left (if I use a fork/knife at all... I usually just go with a spoon unless it is a big piece of meat).
I follow all of those rules.

I'll be disappointed if my children don't.

I'll be disappointed/disapproving if my children bring home a partner who doesn't follow those rules.

I know I'm in the minority here, you don't have to tell me, but there are people who value etiquette.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
interspark said:
just a little public survey, i got into an arguement with someone the other day who believes that to eat with a fork in your right hand and a knife in your left hand is the "wrong" way of eating and that no-one does it, i argued that not only is there no "correct" way of eating, but that i know/have heard of several people who eat said way, so to put this arguement to rest, how do escapees hold cutlery?
Knife left fork right is objectively wrong.

May 29, 2011
I'm mainly right handed but I do some things with my left hand because it's stronger, but less precise. No I don't know why, I probably did something wrong when I started working out.

ANyway as a result of this I use my left hand for cutting.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Depends on how much I'm cutting. If I'm cutting a whole steak, fork in left knife in right. If I just forgot to cut off a little fat piece I use my knife in my left since I'm to lazy to switch hands.