Poll: What has been the best Console Controller (best layout, comfortable, easiest to use etc)

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
Year of playing with the dualshock now means I have trouble with the X-Box 360's controler due to the diffrence in the location of anologe sticks :(

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
Simriel said:
I do love my 360 controller, but i gotta say, best of all time was the Dreamcast.
either you have lost your fucking mind, or you have the hands of a giant.

the best controllers are the logitech brand wireless controllers for the PS2, hands down.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
scnj said:
Not a controller, but the best thing I ever used for gaming is this. [http://www.hartware.de/media/reviews/90/oben.jpg] I still have it somewhere.
The force feedback II, or Pro, or sidewinder or whatever they were called. That Joystick was awesome! Currently using this http://www.fspilotshop.com/images/x52.jpg I wish it had force feedback.

On topic:

I had forgotten how similar the dreamcast and original xbox's controllers were. I didn't really like either of them. The 360 controller gets my vote.

To people comparing old school controllers like NES and Megadrive...How can you compare them to current generation controllers? Games have progressed so much that the need for more features on a controller has changed also (obviously).

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
asam92 said:
Mr.Tea said:
Other.

People PLEASE stop mentioning the Mouse and Keyboard
I clearly mentioned CONSOLE
Even if you don't call a PC a "Console", it's a gaming platform which I refuse not to include along every other gaming platform out there especially when there was an "Other" option in the poll.

Still, I'll indulge you: Out of every gaming system referred to as "Consoles", the controller I prefer is the 360's. Simple yet not under-featured, aesthetically pleasing and comfortable.
I of all people can appreciate what you are saying, you are correct in saying that it is gaming machine however I am looking for consoles not gaming platforms

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
asam92 said:
Mr.Tea said:
asam92 said:
Mr.Tea said:
Other.

People PLEASE stop mentioning the Mouse and Keyboard
I clearly mentioned CONSOLE
Even if you don't call a PC a "Console", it's a gaming platform which I refuse not to include along every other gaming platform out there especially when there was an "Other" option in the poll.

Still, I'll indulge you: Out of every gaming system referred to as "Consoles", the controller I prefer is the 360's. Simple yet not under-featured, aesthetically pleasing and comfortable.
I of all people can appreciate what you are saying, you are correct in saying that it is gaming machine however I am looking for consoles not gaming platforms
There are attachments available to allow use of keyboard and mouse on consoles.

Therefore they can be allowed since you haven't complained about people suggesting third party controllers such as the wireless Logitech PS2 controller mentioned a few posts up.

Also, in my own opinion and to satisfy your requirements, the Madcatz small XBox 1 controller I always liked.

Conversly, the Madcats PS2 controller which came in a set of that, a stand and something else I think, was shit, and could only handle eight directions on its 'anologue' stick.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
ravens_nest said:
scnj said:
Not a controller, but the best thing I ever used for gaming is this. [http://www.hartware.de/media/reviews/90/oben.jpg] I still have it somewhere.
The force feedback II, or Pro, or sidewinder or whatever they were called. That Joystick was awesome! Currently using this http://www.fspilotshop.com/images/x52.jpg I wish it had force feedback.
Sidewinder Precision Pro. Unfortunately, I never had the one with force feedback. That would have been awesome. Especially with all the hours I put into TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

AfricanSwallow

Jan 17, 2009
I actually think the Virtual Boy controller was the best controller I've had the pleasure to use.

I'm not even sure how I feel about that.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
I have liked the Playstation controller ever since the PS-X. To me it feels right.

boomo_lao

Mar 1, 2009
Since the Tac-2 wasn't available, I'd say the 360, great ergonomics and feel to the analog sticks and triggers, too bad the D-pad is such bullshit

Vanilla Gorilla

Jan 15, 2009
Original X Box for my lanky hands! Plus it made an excellent beating implement if you lost all the time...

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
I'm a big fan of the Wii's controls, owing to their minimalism, and I used to love the N64 controller: things were so simple back when there was only one analog stick!

Master 2k3

Feb 17, 2009
I would have to say the 360 Controller, it just feel better then the ps3, but if you were to ask this question when the old xbox and the ps2 was the IN thing, then I would of Voted for the Ps2... (I know the ps3 and the ps2 controller are the same) but that old xbox controller was nic name T-REX,for being big and useless the S-type wasnt that bad

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Dual Shock.

It's been around for 10+ years with barely a change. I prefer that layout of analogue sticks as well, it just fits my hands better.
The 360 controller is alright ergonomically but it's let down by the details. Particularly the D-pad.
I'm not a fan of trigger type shoulder buttons either.