Poll: What if an RPG used real races?

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Rastrelly said:
It would be funny. Personally I see nothing offensive in such approach.
There are people here suggesting that arabs get a bonus to explosives. How is that NOT offensive?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
ace_of_something said:
I'm annoyed by your suggestion of Americans.
How about this. You start with more money but receive no 'affirmative action' style benefits? Being a straight, white, American male would probably mean you are somewhat more likely to start off at an advantage, but less likely to get reverse racism bonuses (no-one's going to give you a scholarship because you are white, or give you some social lee-way because you are painfully normal, and most non-Americans would probably have a somewhat negative view of you anyway).

OT: I think it would go over poorly, and would need to be done very well. Like maybe people with darker skin make better vampires because of their resistance to sun-damage, and people with lighter skin make better snow-hunters because their lily-white buttocks are less visible than darker alternatives. Or people from a desert nation have fire resistance, or people from jungle nations draw less aggro from animals (so a wild bear would be more likely to attack the bandit attacking you, than actually attack you).

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
There are people here suggesting that arabs get a bonus to explosives. How is that NOT offensive?
Quite simple: WTF, what explosives? It's stupid. They should have something like "Allah leads my way!" bonus allowing to evade critical damage or smth. and "The path to the sky" perk disabling all debuffs when overwhelmed by enemies. Same perk goes to skandinavians (berserkers got their tickets to Valhalla same way).

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
Quite simple: WTF, what explosives? It's stupid. They should have something like "Allah leads my way!" bonus allowing to evade critical damage or smth. and "The path to the sky" perk disabling all debuffs when overwhelmed by enemies. Same perk goes to skandinavians (berserkers got their tickets to Valhalla same way).
I have no idea what you're on about.
People suggested arabs get +10 explosives because of suicide bombers. If you don't find that offensive then I have to worry.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
Just read my response more careful.

Also, almost every game where Russia is mentioned is offensive on soooo many levels... You can't even imagine. "Explosive Arabs" on this background look just a silly pun, nothing more.

Aaaand, third point: did you play Red Alert 2? No? Go play and then think. Thrice.

And finally: terms "racism", "offensive" etc. are currently being overused and misused. Poor Americans are sooo afraid of Arab terrorists! Oh, if they didn't want oil that much and if they didn't want to seed their pseudo-democracy everywhere, maybe there would be no terrorists in Arabic countries?

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:

Also, almost every game where Russia is mentioned is offensive on soooo many levels... You can't even imagine. "Explosive Arabs" on this background look just a silly pun, nothing more.

Aaaand, third point: did you play Red Alert 2? No? Go play and then think. Thrice.

And finally: terms "racism", "offensive" etc. are currently being overused and misused. Poor Americans are sooo afraid of Arab terrorists! Oh, if they didn't want oil that much and if they didn't want to seed their pseudo-democracy everywhere, maybe there would be no terrorists in Arabic countries?
I've re-read your post. Still not sure what you're getting it.

I would disagree that offensive and racist are overused terms. But even we accept that, surely openly saying "Arabs get a bonus to explosives, cos they're all suicide bombers" is clear offensive. And Russians being portrayed offensively is in no way justification for arabs to be portrayed offensively.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
ace_of_something said:
The shitstorm that would follow would be unmanageable.
It'd be an interesting idea though.

I'm annoyed by your suggestion of Americans.
totally agree on the first 2 sentences. funny how this is ok when you use fictional races/origins, but probably would become racist, offensive or somethinglikethat if you applied these sorts of bonuses on currently existing nationalities. double standard? only making a mountain out of a molehill? overrating political correctness to the point that one isn't allowed to say that russians are sturdy, chinese are, dunno, dextrous, french can cook, english not so much (j/k!!), etc

i wonder what modifiers you'd wish to apply to US americans?

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
No. That makes no sense. Genetically speaking, there is only really one human race. If you wanted to include all those other social/cultural/phenological 'races' with racial bonuses then you'd definitely be making a racist game. No question.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:

I would disagree that offensive and racist are overused terms. But even we accept that, surely openly saying "Arabs get a bonus to explosives, cos they're all suicide bombers" is clear offensive. And Russians being portrayed offensively is in no way justification for arabs to be portrayed offensively.
Noooo, you still didn't catch my position. I say everything should be taken less serious. Cultivation of "political correctness", "tolerance" etc. causes same processes we all, who came from USSR, understand pretty well: the witch hunt. "Oh no, he told a joke about jews/black guys/no matter whom!" - "Darned racist scum!" Instead of raising such looks, it would be better and more adequate to grow other kind of tolerance. You see: NATION or RACE cannot be offended: they are not PERSON to be able to. Only person can be offended for something. Civilized society, as for me, should co-integrate. And ability to look with other nation/races eyes is the best way. Racism is approach placing one race above other one - period. "Every white guy is cooler then ******" - it's racism. It's offensive. "Each jew should be burned in the name of great Reich" - same thing. But jokes, puns... They are harmless. If children of different nationalities will be raised in atmosphere of appreciation of such humorous international and interracial communication - that would make twenty times much more then removing of crosses from French schools. And from this view "explosive arabs" balance on border of becoming really offensive: terrorism is evil near which almost any Near Eastern person lives. And that's why I told such bonus for Arabs would be stupid.

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:
CaptainKarma said:
Rastrelly said:

Noooo, you still didn't catch my position. I say everything should be taken less serious. Cultivation of "political correctness", "tolerance" etc. causes same processes we all, who came from USSR, understand pretty well: the witch hunt. "Oh no, he told a joke about jews/black guys/no matter whom!" - "Darned racist scum!" Instead of raising such looks, it would be better and more adequate to grow other kind of tolerance. You see: NATION or RACE cannot be offended: they are not PERSON to be able to. Only person can be offended for something. Civilized society, as for me, should co-integrate. And ability to look with other nation/races eyes is the best way. Racism is approach placing one race above other one - period. "Every white guy is cooler then ******" - it's racism. It's offensive. "Each jew should be burned in the name of great Reich" - same thing. But jokes, puns... They are harmless. If children of different nationalities will be raised in atmosphere of appreciation of such humorous international and interracial communication - that would make twenty times much more then removing of crosses from French schools. And from this view "explosive arabs" balance on border of becoming really offensive: terrorism is evil near which almost any Near Eastern person lives. And that's why I told such bonus for Arabs would be stupid.
Yes, we should be tolerant. For me, the highest sign of tolerance is not making jokes that brand people as suicide bombers.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
x-machina said:
Imagine an RPG that used real races, and gave the character stereotypical stat bonuses. Say, if you chose Russian you would get an HP bonus because they are notoriously hard to kill. Or if you choose African you could run faster. Americans, could... I don't know maybe shout AMERICA!! and inspire one another (giving a stat bonus). etc.

I guess the heart of the real question is: Is re-enforcing positive stereotypes offensive?

EDIT: Alright, I realize now that I should have said National bonuses instead of racial ones. So please stop correcting me on that. Also, yes I realize Africa isn't a country, so no need to point that out, you smug bastard. (jk)
Here's the real problem. It would be boring. If you want to roleplay with real races, step outside and start talking to the first stranger you meet.