Poll: What if LARP became a sponsored sport?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I had to watch that video twice to understand what the hell was going on there. No, i probably wouldnt. Unless it paid decently and i could wear a mask or something.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I call hax, that guy was spamming lightning bolt! Everyone knows its a 3 second cast time.

And no, I'm not interested in larping.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
It is in Sweden. A company got a sponsorship from some organization called "Play for Change". They recieve about halv a million SEK per year to fund their project.

ValentineUK

Mar 15, 2011
I LARP even without getting paid so if it actually became a sponsored sport I would be the happiest man alive!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I would not LARP were I being paid because, were that the case there would only be two explanations:

1) I am an actor in a stage play and I hate stage lights and makeup
2) It is an insidious trap the designs of which no mortal could comprehend.

Also, in order for "LARP" to be a sport, I feel you'd need a more regimented rule system than...Whatever the hell is currently used. But, at that point, I feel you would just end up with fencing and that's already a sport.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
holy_secret said:
It is in Sweden. A company got a sponsorship from some organization called "Play for Change". They recieve about halv a million SEK per year to fund their project.
500,000 SEK is approx. 72.6 K in USD, so it's not really that much. Does that money get split between every player? Are there bonuses for certain "achievements" for lack of a better word? I'm not expecting you to know the answer to these questions, but if you (or anyone else) does, please let me know. Thanks!

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
They could easily make the combat a bonafide sport, one I would gladly sign up for. Though I prefer live-steel fights (my viking reenactment group uses full weight steel weapons, nobody gets seriously hurt because they are blunt and we know how to use them), a foam sword would be interesting. I'd do it, almost certainly as a viking warrior (so I don't have to waste money on another kit). I love using a spear or a scramseax and shield.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Would you LARP if you got paid?
I would do anything if it paid decently.
anything you say? ; P

OT:
I don't think it can be considered a sport... Is there even a winner in LARP? I thought it was more of a form of acting than it was a competition. Either way, I'd sort of like to try it out.

It seems like a combination of DnD and Cosplay.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
crazyarms33 said:
holy_secret said:
500,000 SEK is approx. 72.6 K in USD, so it's not really that much. Does that money get split between every player? Are there bonuses for certain "achievements" for lack of a better word? I'm not expecting you to know the answer to these questions, but if you (or anyone else) does, please let me know. Thanks!
It's not very much? Are you kidding me? It's better than NOTHING.
The players don't get the money. The company use the money for stuff like workshops, renting areas for LARPing and stuff like that.

Lawllerskater

Jan 29, 2010
That would be a stupid idea. There are too many technicalities to determine earned points and whether someone would really be "dead". There's really too much imagination and honor needed for the game to -not- be broken in the world of competitive sports. Think about sports nowadays. Usually there is some sort of point system where item A goes to point B. The closest thing to this would be fencing, but that is 1 on 1 combat where judges are there to determine clear hits and points. Having a whole shit ton of people, in wild costumes that could obscure line of sight to the judges, would be a living hell for judges to keep a keen eye on every single person at once, seeing who actually hit who, and if that attack would "kill" them or score any points. LARPing should be a left as a casual game and not get into the competitive world, just like many games little kids play.

I mean, I understand it sounds like a cool thing from first glance, but once you actually look into how it would be gone about, it would be too much effort for a "sport" people would consider extremely laughable at.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
I think what you're talking about is less a LARP (Live Action Role Play) and more a.. well there isn't really an acronym for it, as LARP is used as kind of a catch-all. Which is silly, really.

Perhaps call it what it is? Fantasy Combat Enactment, perhaps? FCE? Not as catchy or acronym-y as LARP, but still more descriptive of what it actually is.

OP:
Paid? To ditch and have battle-games and tournaments? Are you off your noggin? I'd be signing up as soon as my chair stopped spinning.

What rules-set is being played in the video? Looks like Nero. Certainly not Amtgard or SCA.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
holy_secret said:
crazyarms33 said:
holy_secret said:
The players don't get the money. The company use the money for stuff like workshops, renting areas for LARPing and stuff like that.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a decent amount of money, I meant as far as paid sports go right now. And I thought that the money went to the players due to the topic/discussion on this thread, which is apparently wrong haha. But thanks for letting me know! I do appreciate the info! Merry Christmas!

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
crazyarms33 said:
holy_secret said:
crazyarms33 said:
holy_secret said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a decent amount of money, I meant as far as paid sports go right now. And I thought that the money went to the players due to the topic/discussion on this thread, which is apparently wrong haha. But thanks for letting me know! I do appreciate the info! Merry Christmas!
No problem man! :) Sorry if I seemed rude.
The company gets the money so they can keep doing what they love without losing too much income and for the people who like LARPing to be able to do so without paying for it.

That's the closest to sponsoring they get, as far as I've heard :<

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Doclector said:
Dude, I'd probably already be doing it if I knew of any clubs in my area.

Nerdy? Yes. But I'd love to go around hitting people with foam swords, how could that not be fun?

Also, it seems like everytime anyone says LARP, people seem to say "Oh, that thing from role models", and actually, if such a league got started, it would probably go to it's advantage, as most people I know said it seemed like fun.
Pretty much this.

Even though, if it became a "sport", I probably wouldn't like it as much, just because of the different mindset of the people that would more than likely be playing it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Well I can tell you this. If people started getting paid for it. We'd see a lot less over/underweight types playing it and more people that look like well... the people who beat up people who larp in high school.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
If I could find a group to do it with? Sure, I'd give it a go, looks like fun. Even the version Doc Fruitbat described (which apparently is the real version compared to the video I didn't watch) sounds like fun to me.

I'm a poor suppressed kid in the middle of the land of rednecks, I'm willing to try many a nerdy thing XD

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
STORY TIME! =D

Once a short time ago when I was still a Medieval Reenactor a fellow geeky friend of mine who shall now be named as Fred the Fierce asked me to try larping as a guest on his membership, saying that it'll be like reenactment but with magic and stuff. Me: =D.

so I go dressed in my kit: Brigantine shirt, Gambason, buckler, helmet with my toiletries of a waterskin foodpouch etc. and get handed a Rubber sword. Me: =]

SO the FIRST QUEST! I run into a forest and meet an ork, fighty fighty starts And I block most of his attacks and land most of my strikes(i was told beforehand not to get too rough or disarming) I get a small tap on the leg and a ref comes over and tells me that I've sufffered horrific injuries and I get taken prisoner. Me: o_o

However do not fear for our hero! as im lead away a freindly group attacks the ork in a most shambolic manner including throwing the bright yellow bouncy fireballs of death that you often see at Wimbledon. Me X.X

You cant have a professional sport where you win not out of skill but by the amount of damage you supposedly do by what level your character is.