Poll: What if Steam were to stop existing

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
*gets gun and points it at head*
*BLAM*
*dead*
*gets up*
Is it me, or have I been dying a lot lately?
*dies again*

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
You arent the only one buying games off steam i have around 80 games on there.
For a start its not going to happen over night so a plan could be made and anyway valve have said they have plans for that sort of situation. I'd say it would be like when the microsoft locker closed and they gave everyone serial keys for all their products

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Twad said:
then prepare offline mode, problem solved.
Not much use for me, about 80% of my Steam games are online only (including L4D/L4D2, screw singleplayer).

I'd be sad, pretty damn sad, since I've got a wonderful clan that focusses on Steam based games. I always have a blast with those people, they pretty much keep me gaming on the PC, I'd abandon my PC without them. Glad I've got my PS3 and 360 though.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
2 reasons this wouldn't change much:

1) Valve would take care of it before going bust. They'd have a period (possibly a month or two) where you could DL standalone versions of the games you own. Also, there's currently a way to backup all your DLed games to DVDs so you can start backing up now if you want. Dunno if they'd work without the ability to log in, but I guess it could.

2) You could just download the games you owned through unofficial channels. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't count as piracy. You are allowed to own copies of games you already purchased right? Someone who knows more on the matter could enlighten us?

The real problem would be games which rely on Steam for on-line matchmaking (L4D, TF2).

EDIT: Then again, it IS illegal to change a game in any way, which would be required for the downloaded version (cracks etc). We need a lawyer in this thread.

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
Steam Goes offline, Valve will get sued out there ass, plain and simple.
At the end of the day. Someones gonna pocket some serious money, but the majority of users are going to be out a bunch. I've got 84 steam games. If steam were to go away, I really don't know what i'd do.

But it never will, Valve cares about its community more so than any other developer i can think of. And if it did, it would be to introduce something even better, and we wouldn't lose our steam games in the move.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
RAND00M said:
I've got a backup plan.It's called a console.
Youre avatar is both fucked up AND awsome! And sickening *Bleeeehhhh*

Well first thing I'd do is collect bets that HL EP3 would never be released. THEN I'd go cut my self in a corner.

No Valve no life blood.

Valve is the flow pipes of my soul maaaaaaaan *Hippy stare*

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
JamesTehWench said:
s69-5 said:
PC Gamers would be upset.
I wouldn't care so much.
But I would probably cheer a little to myself because Valve is a bunch douchebags.
WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!?!? :'(
Don't worry he's obviously trolling. Just report or move on. Don't pay him anymore attention.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I would hardly give a rats ass. Steam fucking ripped me off a few months ago and deleted my account with no due cause, didn't even use cheats. They expected me to provide original receipts of the Halflife 2 download I got off steam 3 years ago. Fuck steam, I hope it goes down in horrible flames. I'll torrent their games from now on, they can suck it.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I shudder to think what a world without steam would look like. It would be a cold and dark place for sure.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I would be pretty damn annoyed. The whole idea of having my games forever tied digitally to some program annoys me as it is, but to suddenly lose it all would be a massive kick in the balls.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
Meh. As of now, I've gotten more play out of my Steam games than I have of most of my console games. If Steam were end tomorrow, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Except that I'd lose a lot of my steam friends, who I like very much. Freaks that they are. ;_;

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
RebellionXXI said:
I think Steam has a clause in its user agreement where they will allow all of their users to download standalone versions of their games if the company goes belly-up.

Could be wrong though.

EDIT: HOW THE HELL DO I KEEP FROM DOUBLE-POSTING!?!? ARRGH!
do you double click the post button or second click if the first seems to do nothing? that used to be the cause when it happened to me