Poll: What if you could fly but...

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
But your power to fly upsets nature, where ever you fly it'll rain there for the same amount of time you spend there an hour after you've left that location. (half a millimeter per minute)
Because of this your government has instructed you to fly only when told for as long as you're told, where you are told and they pay you a reasonable salary of $350.000 a year for your service.

The Question is : on a scale of 1 to 10,
1 being that you NEVER FLY,
10 that you ALWAYS FLY,

How often do you fly ?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I'm American, I assume I should be seeing the decimal as a comma?

$350k is a tidy sum for doing something that is theoretically enjoyable. It would definitely become my new occupation.

Depending how long Uncle Sam kept me busy, and how exhausting the power was, I might pick up even more money charging other parties a reasonable rate for rain. After all, I could be the answer to every problem of irrigation, drought, etc. Can't put a price tag on that, though I would surely try.

I'd also do the occasional humanitarian mission, help make Africa more fertile or something.

It also depends on just how "upset" nature became. If we're talking summer storms that were normal in all respects save being caused by me, there's no problem. If freak typhoons hit the coast of Asia every time I used the power, I'd have to stop.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I would go freelance. Screw the government, there is no law preventing me from flying if I am able to. I would most likely fly for donations where people can't afford to 'rent' me, and fly for an hourly salary if some business wanted to hire me.

Unless the sudden appearance of rain also affected the global weather in drastic ways. Like in the anime one piece where a powder could make it rain, but that rain was drawn from other locations. Which resulted in other area's getting huge droughts. Then I would go the scientific way.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Fly whenever I want. You can't control me! I'm a goddamn bird man! The salary is tempting though.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Id fly over africa and other places where droughts are happening. And if reservoirs are getting a bit low id top them up

Saving the world would be my game

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
My ultimate dream.

I'm sure I would fly at first whenever I wanted, then after a few years take the gov't up on their deal.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
Live in Australia. Rain is very little a problem here.

EDIT: In the non-flood part, obviously.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I live in Britain, it's always raining anyway so no one would notice.

I'd actually be a cool guy and go fly around Somalia or something, may as well help people and see the world.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So whenever I fly, it will rain at my location? Ideally I would put my service to droughted areas like Africa or parts of Australia but yet again I wouldn't want to lived there (no offence to those who lived in those places).
Either way I will used my powers for the Government but since I lived in the UK, I probably end up being in the SE region of England (last time I've heard they have been getting less rain) or if it's typical British weather, I will fly at the coastal or the sea of Britain.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'd always fly, there would be constant demand for my services especially in drier countries. I would tell my government to go screw themselves as I could earn way more than that and the UK earns enough anyway - if they kick me out I could quite easily get citizenship elsewhere.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
$350k a year for puttering around in the air? Where's the dotted line and when can I sign it? (I would want to make sure there were scientists on hand to keep tabs on the wider effects though)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Now here is the big question:

If every time I fly it rains, does it rain on me whenever I'm flying or does the rain appear behind me as I fly?

If it's the first I probably wouldn't fly much.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
You sure that rain isn't just me pissing while flying cause i'm scared of heights? Hahahaha

Ahem... I'd probably wuss out and help out places where fresh water is needed the most, like African countries and like that.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
If I just had the power to fly no string I would go with fly when ever.

But if it's going to cause environmental issues and the government is willing to pay me around £300,000.00 a year I would definitely take their offer (with emergency exceptions).

Getting paid allot to not do something (or only do something very rarely) is a no-brainier for me.

Of course the first year or so I had the power I would have basically not stopped flying around the world for like the whole year. So this would take place after I have had my fun and I came back home.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i imagin if it rained whenever you flew then your services would be in constant demand, any time there is a drought or below average rainfall in a region you would be called in to get levels up again.

the question is where does the rain come from? and what effect do you have on the weather? if it comes from the upper atmosphere then it could affect the jet streams that make everything go round. if it comes from ground water then you might dry up wells or stop water on its normall rout thought the rocks and maybe dry up rivers.

also if you find out that what you are doing does influence those things but as no water is lost it is deemed ok you would become essiencal to the rainfall in that region. if you mess it all up you have to keep doing that or rain might stop for good.

if none of that really mattered then i would probally spend quite a lot of time flying around as i like the rain so getting it to rain on demand would be great. that being said i might do it somewhere remote or over a sea or something so i dont end up messing up everyone's good time on a beach or something

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Uh,

question here. How fast do I fly? Hot air balloon? Speed of sound? Superman?
At any rate, leaning towards: screw the government!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Now here is the big question:

If every time I fly it rains, does it rain on me whenever I'm flying or does the rain appear behind me as I fly?

If it's the first I probably wouldn't fly much.
Well the OP says rain will start "an hour after you've left the location". Don't know if he edited the post because of your question, but there you go.

OP: I'd probably fool around some before taking the deal.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I would leap on that deal in a heartbeat. Are you kidding? I would be doing something I love, my services would always be in demand,and I'd be paid handsomely. Assuming I listen to a part of the government that knows what it's talking about, even not being able to control when and where I fly is a small price to pay when it's guaranteed to be often, and part of a moral imperative. Besides, half a millimeter per minute? That'd give about 400 hours of total time flying before I even equaled my own area's annual rainfall.

The only downside I can think of is disrupting general weather patterns and invoking a new ice age. Or maybe I just read The Malloreon too often.