Poll: What if you were forced into military?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Okay, here's the thing. The 'have you served' thread made me think that most of the escapists can choose if they go to military service or not. In my country the situation is different, but participating in actual combat will not happen.

But I wish to hear your opinions on the following situation. Let's assume that your country has just passed an emergency drafting law (via general vote among the people) that states that every male between the ages 18-35 must receive training for a likely near-future (less than a decade) international crisis that will escalate into armed conflict if it happens. You can choose however, how you will serve. Options are:

You train and serve for 18 months in civilian institutions, factories and other non-combat places. Lasts longest, but if the crisis begins you will not be sent anywhere near the battlelines or military targets. You will stay somewhere relatively safe, never touching a weapon (unless you specifically request weapons training) and helping your country.

You refuse to follow the drafting law - You flat out state your intent to not comply. You will be convicted for 14 months of jailtime as according to the law, after which you will be released. If the crisis starts, the government and the military will not come looking for you and will leave you to survive on your own. No governmental help beyond the bare minimum required for survival will be given to you during the crisis.

You escape the country before they can drag you into prison or push you into service. However, you must leave all your friends and family and most of your posession behind and cannot return to your country until after the crisis has blown over or 20 years have passed. In addition, the country you flee to will stay neutral in the possible conflict and you know that country will not draft you against your will.

You serve in combat support operations. They train you as a medic, weapons technician, field cook etc for behind the lines work. You train for 12 months and if the crisis starts, you might see combat but it's unlikely. In this option you can serve without ever touching a weapon, if you simply talk with your commanding officer and site personal reasons against violence.

Frontline support operations. Trainging lasts 9 months. You will be trained as a medic, a driver, a cook, weapons technician etc for close-to-frontline work. You will also be trained in the basics of infantry combat. If the crisis starts, you will be on the frontlines or close to them. However, you will not be stationed near priority targets and the enemy is less likely to shoot at you than the infantrymen in front of you. Combat is a distinct possibility.

Frontline combat. Training lasts 6 months. You will be trained in infantry combat with various weapons and tactics. Training lasts the shortest time, but if the crisis starts you will be on the frontline shooting at the enemy and getting shot back at.

Long-range combat. Training lasts 9 months. You will be slightly behind the lines, with artillery, air force etc. Ground combat remains a possibility, but you will be stationed next to a priority target to enemy bombers/counter-artillery/missiles.

EDIT: Women can serve as well if they wish for it, but they cannot be drafted against their will.)

That's it folks. What option would you choose and why? Remember, this is about your personal choice, not about the morals of such a law (unless those morals greatly affect your choice). It is assumed that over 60% of the voting-age population in your country voted for the law, fully aware of the consequences and that the emergency drafting law is now legally binding.

EDIT: The times mentioned are the duration of the training given to you before the crisis. The actual crisis will last an unknown amount of time. Clarified the original text.

Mar 17, 2009
I'd probably shoot myself in the foot, either that or in the interview I would mention how I can't wait to get my hands on a weapon so I can go on a killing spree in my own base.
Better yet, I would pretend to be a Quaker.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Where's the "Surrender the instant the enemy attack" option?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Oh you would pass. There would be a spot for everyone. Even complete lunatics will be pressed into service or put to jail.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Combat support I think. I am currently still studying, and I even applied at the army for an intern ship, thinking I can put my Operations Research skills at use. Armies have a very interesting supply chain it seems, and I would have enjoyed using mathematics to optimise it. They didn't need me though, but it would have been interesting to do.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Whatever they think I could do the most good in, its what I did when I was drafted for real.

It disappoints me to see such a low level of courage here sometimes, either you fight or someone else has to fight for you. We all die eventually, better to live a shorter life of meaning then twenty more years as a coward which serves nothing but himself.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
In an emergency situation, it would be the suck to get sent out to the frontlines, but for peace time, mandatory military service has proven to be a good way to instill discipline and respect for ones countrymen.

I'd go with close range support I guess. Being a cook has it's advantages...cake.

May 6, 2009
I'm confused. Are you saying the TRAINING for front line combat is shorter than the TRAINING for other types of service as in the poll or are you saying the SERVICE is shorter as in your post?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
AlphaOmega said:
I'd show up, they wouldnt let me pass their psychologic and psysical tests anyway.
Maybe the same here. I heard somewhere they generally don't let aspies into service. If I had to be in a branch of the military, though, I'd be in the Air Force.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
asiepshtain said:
Whatever they think I could do the most good in, its what I did when I was drafted for real.

It disappoints me to see such a low level of courage here sometimes, either you fight or someone else has to fight for you. We all die eventually, better to live a shorter life of meaning then twenty more years as a coward which serves nothing but himself.
So you would have served in the Nazi army to protect Germany as the allies pounded down on it? Better to live a short life of meaning right?

Christ it's people like you who don't question the direction of a country which make the world a dangerous place.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Lord Monocle Von Banworthy said:
I'm confused. Are you saying the TRAINING for front line combat is shorter than the TRAINING for other types of service as in the poll or are you saying the SERVICE is shorter as in your post?
I'm sorry, perhaps my original posts wasnt clear enough. The times mentioned are training times, the actual crisis will last an unknown amount of time.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I'd take the six month course.
It's shortest, as you said, so there's a smaller window of opportunity for me to get shot at.
While I'm there, I get to pick up neat weapon skills.

If the fighting starts, I defect and kill anyone who comes after me.
With a fucking skinning knife.
Slowly.

I'll ship the bodies back to them until they stop sending people after me.
Very awesome idea !

as for me i will not go to war ever !

so i'm gonna chill in my house while all you people ghet shot at hahahahaha

jcpwn3r

Jan 14, 2009
join the marine corps.... w8 im doing it anyway, guess i can't be drafted then can i hahhhh :p

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Doug said:
Where's the "Surrender the instant the enemy attack" option?
Only applies in france. Their basic training is track and field and your "army" boots are a comfortable pair of sneakers.
Hey, don't knock it til your neck deep in mud and a bunch of angry tough looking people with guns are marching in your direction with an look of purpose ;)