Poll: What is the answer to 48/2(9+3)?

Sep 17, 2009
Brawndo said:
ProfessorLayton said:
I don't know why you want us to do your homework for you, but I got 288... after you do the parentheses, you're supposed to do them from left to right. I think it's a poorly written problem, though.
lol it's not a homework problem man, I'm not in middle school. This question is blowing up other forums and reddit.

48/2(12) = 2 using PEMDAS
Nope

it is 288.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%2F2%289%2B3%29

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
jp201 said:
Jarl said:
Theron Julius said:
It's nothing more than simple PEMDAS

48/2*(9+3)

You do what's in the parentheses first

48/2*12
No.

You multiply into the paranthesis, as such:
2*(9+3) = (2*9)+(2*3) = 18+6 = 24

Then you do whatever multiplication or division comes first. In this case it was 48/2

24*12
Dude, wat? You'd do that if the question was (42/2)*(9+3). You can't divide by a single number in the denominator and leave out the rest. Everything "above" the division and everything "below" the division.

I hope this is not an indication of American math. Honestly, I suck at math, and this just seems like elementary school stuff to me. Whatever PEMDAS is, this is a clear and easy matter of calculating it using your brain, not a standard formula.

48/2(9+3) = 48/(2*9)+(2*3) = 48/18+6 = 48/24 = 2

Anything else is incorrect.
Please stop trolling the answer is 288

follow PEMDAS

saying you suck at math then saying its real easy and still shwoing the wrong answer just shows your ignorance and stupidity.

Your Denmark math is obviously superior then.
How is my answer wrong? Please tell me. Rather than trolling I actually showed where the problem was, and how it should be calculated instead. Actually, it's rather ironic that you accuse me of trolling, and then attack my country.

Whatever PEMDAS is, it's obvious that you are doing it wrong. Consulting an american friend, I was told that even with PEMDAS the answer is 2. I've explained why in my previous post (not the one quoted), please read that. And, if you have anything more to say, please let it be educated.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
PEMDAS/BODMAS are both equally valid.

Parentheses/Brackets > Exponents/Order > Division/Multiplication = Multiplication/Division > Addition/Subtraction = Subtraction/Addition

You go from left to right, top to bottom and work it out.

I read it as:

48/2(9+3)
=48/2*12
=24*12
=288

MagusVulpes

Nov 18, 2009
I was taught that division signs, '/', count as being a grouping symbol. Ergo, using that logic you would wind up with 48 over top of 2*(9+3), which would be better clarified as 48/(2*(9+3)).

It all depends on the order that you think it should be done in. Without clarification, it all depends on how YOUR math teacher taught you.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Oh god, can't you all see what he's doing? This is the new .99... = 1 thread, and you're all getting sucked into it.

The truth is that the equation is written ambiguously, so that two answers are both reasonably correct, and everyone argues about it for pages and pages and gets nowhere. Just stop this thing before it goes on for a hundred pages.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Brawndo said:
ProfessorLayton said:
I don't know why you want us to do your homework for you, but I got 288... after you do the parentheses, you're supposed to do them from left to right. I think it's a poorly written problem, though.
lol it's not a homework problem man, I'm not in middle school. This question is blowing up other forums and reddit.

48/2(12) = 2 using PEMDAS
It's BEDMAS where I am, but I guess it's brackets/parenthesis.

48/2(9+3)
So 9 + 3, for the B/P
48/2(12)
Now the next step is division.
24(12)
Now we multiply the brackets with the outside
Not sure where you went wrong.

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
MagusVulpes said:
I was taught that division signs, '/', count as being a grouping symbol. Ergo, using that logic you would wind up with 48 over top of 2*(9+3), which would be better clarified as 48/(2*(9+3)).

It all depends on the order that you think it should be done in. Without clarification, it all depends on how YOUR math teacher taught you.
While I agree with you, it technically comes down to whether your math teacher taught you properly or not. Math is not subjective in the least.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
i got 2, as the part inside the parentheses is still located on the bottom of the fraction

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Jarl said:
jp201 said:
Jarl said:
Theron Julius said:
It's nothing more than simple PEMDAS

48/2*(9+3)

You do what's in the parentheses first

48/2*12
No.

You multiply into the paranthesis, as such:
2*(9+3) = (2*9)+(2*3) = 18+6 = 24

Then you do whatever multiplication or division comes first. In this case it was 48/2

24*12
Dude, wat? You'd do that if the question was (42/2)*(9+3). You can't divide by a single number in the denominator and leave out the rest. Everything "above" the division and everything "below" the division.

I hope this is not an indication of American math. Honestly, I suck at math, and this just seems like elementary school stuff to me. Whatever PEMDAS is, this is a clear and easy matter of calculating it using your brain, not a standard formula.

48/2(9+3) = 48/(2*9)+(2*3) = 48/18+6 = 48/24 = 2

Anything else is incorrect.
Please stop trolling the answer is 288

follow PEMDAS

saying you suck at math then saying its real easy and still shwoing the wrong answer just shows your ignorance and stupidity.

Your Denmark math is obviously superior then.
How is my answer wrong? Please tell me. Rather than trolling I actually showed where the problem was, and how it should be calculated instead. Actually, it's rather ironic that you accuse me of trolling, and then attack my country.

Whatever PEMDAS is, it's obvious that you are doing it wrong. Consulting an american friend, I was told that even with PEMDAS the answer is 2. I've explained why in my previous post (not the one quoted), please read that. And, if you have anything more to say, please let it be educated.
48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12) = 24(12) = 288

You do what is in the parentheses first always then any exponents then checking from left to right any multiplying and division not in parentheses and finally any addition and subtraction not in parentheses to come up with your answer.

The issue i had was that you said any other result is wrong and your correct which in your case your own result is wrong. If someone else wants to prove that I am wrong then I will gladly see but seeing people say I'm absolutely correct just to be wrong is your problem.

We only use parentheses first if all numbers are within the parentheses.

So for 48/2(12) we do order or operation of the 48/2 to 24 then multiply by 12 because the 2 in not within parentheses which would result in the answer 2 if done the other way 48/24 = 2 which is not the proper order.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Left to right precedence. Do the division before the multiplication. Multiplication has equal precedence with division.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
An expression like 1/2x is interpreted as 1/(2x) by TI-82, but as (1/2)x by TI-83. While the first interpretation may be expected by some users, only the latter is in agreement with the standard rules
Look what I found.

Both are technically correct, but 288 is preferred. I guess it depends on the teacher if you're doing it in class.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
48/2(9+3)

Okay, I got 288

Those who got 2, I imagine are looking at the problem like this:

-------
2*(9+3)

But that's incorrect. If that were the case, the problem would be written like so: 48/(2(9+3)), showing that 48 is being divided by the rest of the problem.

Instead, it is only being divided by 2, which is then multiplying 9 + 3.

So:
48/2*(9+3)

48/2*(12)

24*(12)

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Mah brain it hurts... The Nerdiness in this thread is too strooong(not that that's a bad thing)...or I'm just an idiot who doesn't understand math, either way.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Brawndo said:
What do you guys get for an answer, 2 or 288?
The problem here is that in a linear form like that, it's hard to tell if after the obvious

48/2*(12)

The phrasing is

or

--
2 X 12.

The top will give you 24X12 = 288, the bottom, obviously, will give you 48/24 = 2.

I learned PEMDAS, so I see the bottom, but really if this was properly written as a fraction I doubt it would be up for debate.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Merkavar said:
i got 2

9+3*2=24
48/24

google changes the formula to look like this (48 / 2) * (9 + 3) = 288
That's because often times, the / is used as division, not as the line separating numerator from denominator.
So, the answer is 288.

Ginormous76

Dec 26, 2008
Jarl said:
My last attempt in this thread before I give up.

Since there is no visible symbol of multiplication between the 2 and the paranthesis, it MUST be a single entity, 2(9+3). The idea that you must put paranthesis around it holds no weight, as I can just as well say that you must put a paranthesis around 48/2 for the 288 answer to be correct. It's not a matter of poorly written or lacking paranthesis, it's a matter of poor reading comprehension.

Had it been 48/2*(9+3), then it's correct that there is a problem. But, it's not. It's clearly there, in the title. No multiplication symbol. It's a single entity. It must be treated first, resulting in (2*9)+(2*3) = 24, thus making the answer 2. The entire question is based on this. This is THE question. Can you see this? Do you know this? And unless this was a question thought up by a moron in his mom's basement, I can't see any reason this would not be made EXACTLY to test people on this rule, that if you omit a multiplication symbol it's because they're a single entity. Just like 4X = 4*X, but because you treat them as a single entity you omit the multiplication symbol.
Actually, the parenthesis is a clear sign. If there are no other symbols (or a parenthesized portion isn't noticeably used as an exponent), the parenthesis stands for multiplication. Trust me. As someone who has a college degree in math and is working on their PhD. Let's take your 4X = 4*X example, and slightly modify it to 1/4x. Now, as we look at this, it is the same as 1/4 * x, however you are trying to claim it equal to 1/(4x). Because there is not anything to specialize that the x is in the denominator, the default methodology used by mathematicians the world over is that it is multiplied. When you "omit" a multiplication sign, it doesn't make them a single entry. 1/4x = 1/4 * x 1/(4x)

Another way to go about this, is simply substitution. Say that (9+3) = x. Now we have 48/2x = 24x, because nowhere does it say that x is being used to divide, because the mathematical equation is written purely left to write and therefore defaults to multiplication. If this was handwritten as 48/(2x) and someone translated it to 48/2x not realizing what they were doing, then it is an error on their behalf.