Poll: What is your appetite like?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I feel like I eat too much. Others say I don't eat that much at all.
For reference I bought a footlong Subway sub and that filled me up all day (it was my brunch and dinner). I guess that's normal?

But here's the thing though, I love food. I love trying new foods, I like high quality foods, and I enjoying the foods I already like a lot.
I will also be one of those pretentious hippies that will eat Non-GMO, Locally Grown, Organic Kale in biodegradable packaging that cost twice as much as normal lettuce and feel good about it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I have my tastes but I tend to find that the budget I have right now and what my stomach wants to be called 'full' are different things...

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Redlin5 said:
I have my tastes but I tend to find that the budget I have right now and what my stomach wants to be called 'full' are different things...
I can relate to this.
I spend so much money on food because I want to be "picky or treat my self" to the expensive experiences I like. I love sushi for example, but sushi isn't something someone should be cheap with.
It doesn't help too that I want to be health conscious when I eat, I avoid most fast food places. I wouldn't if more places replaced fries as a side at no additional cost.

Sometimes I just have to settle for that 5$ sandwich and make it last a meal or two.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Cooking is my hobby and I love eating, I learned to cook out of how much I love food. I am not 400 pounds (or even 200, for my height I am approx 5 pounds over the average bmi thing lol) because of good metabolism and due to my dislike of all sort of sweets/candy/dessert/soda and the like. I am an over-taster so even a single bite of a chocolate bar will cause me to need to drink two full glasses of water to get the unbearable sweetness out of my mouth.

Also, I tend to go long periods of time without anything to eat. I come from a feasting culture so I can't be satisfied by snacking at all so instead I just have two huge meals each day. I can't be satisfied from a meal unless I have eaten until it is impossible for me to eat any more. Also, I only drink coffee for breakfast too since I am never hungry early in the day.

As for savory foods, I have some favorites, specifically spaghetti carbonara, toro sushi and roasted wild mushrooms, but I will eat everything outside of artichokes and fava and enjoy it if cooked right. I'm sure someone could cook those two things in a way that I would enjoy as well for that matter, I just haven't gone out of my way to find them.

Aug 31, 2012
When I'm in work (I do 4 on 4 off, so that's half of the days) I eat like a horse. Breakfast will usually be something light like instant noodles or a bowl of weetabix. I might have a fry up at work if the others are getting one. Then for lunch I'll have a full meal at the canteen and a pastie or pot of "salad" (bet you didn't know sausage and bacon salad was a thing). Then I'll make a full meal again in the evening, enough for 2 platefulls and eat the lot.

On my days off I rarely eat until evening, when I make a meal as above. For example, today I haven't eaten yet but I'm about to make a chicken yakisoba that will nicely fill 2 heaped dinner plates. It will not see the morning.

I burn off a lot of energy at work though, so I don't really put on weight.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I don't really feel hunger, a result of my medication and of drinking coffee all day.

I could eat endlessly though, and whenever I fancy something, I'll eat ridiculous quantities of it.

Feb 7, 2016
I used to eat rather well.

I'd eat three or four meals a day, with them being smaller if I had that "fourth" meal (which was more like a snack.)

A mix of various foods enough to be considered "healthy".

Then I got a job.

Now I'm fat.

Stress, social anxiety, a developed caffeine addiction, something went horribly wrong in my brain and now I am probably killing myself with the way I've gotten used to eating.

Turns out my friend who replaced my position at this old job agrees it's one of the worst retail positions he's ever been in because the customers are that awful. Glad to know I wasn't just whiny. Though I am. I think. I'm sorry if I am....can I have that candy bar?...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can eat alot but I don't gorge myself these days (I say I'm full when I still got rooms for a few more). I only become too full if I underestimated the order I places or had to finish it all.

In saying so in FKC months ago, I was suprised to overheard some young guy next to me who was having family bucket to himself and boost that he can eat it all (was on the phone).

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I eat a hell of a lot less than I used to. I'd previously have called my appetite "ravenous". Since I got my portions under control and cut out certain foods, it's normal, and maintaining weight loss is actually not that hard.

So far anyway. We'll see where I'm at in 5 years.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm a natural glutton on a diet.

So yeah. I've basically spent the last six months wanting to eat absolutely fucking everything all the fucking time and fantasizing about the utter pig-out that is going to occur when I am no longer on a diet (rivers of ice cream, mountains of pizza, wild donuts swimming free in oceans of iced coffee...)

It doesn't help that I love almost any food. I'll eat and thoroughly enjoy just about anything that stays still long enough. No matter how cheap or crappy or unhealthy it is, chances are good that I think it's delicious.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Appetite? I remember that. There are people out there who complain about their appetites, saying that their lives would be so much better without them. They're wrong. They're very wrong.

A lack of appetite is not the same as a lack of caloric intake; just because you're not hungry doesn't mean you don't need calories. And if, say, extreme central sleep apnea has completely destroyed your body's ability to feel hunger and thirst, you face the choice of risking too many calories with resultant weight gain, or too few calories with resultant passing out and (thanks to the aforementioned sleep apnea) brain damage.

Be grateful for your hunger.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I used to have a strong appetite/metabolism, in that if I didn't eat at specific times I would get all weird and shaky and sometimes even nauseas. these days I can go all day without eating and just have dinner in the evenings which does bring up some irritating questions at lunch break at work.

I know you're supposed to eat small meals frequently throughout the day but it has never worked for me. I used to be a hardcore circuit exercise person/guy. I would run for fifteen minutes and then go lift weights to let my legs recoup then go run some more etc, etc. I tried the 4 to 5 small meals a day thing hoping to get better results but I just felt bloated all the time and I simply wasn't hungry and found my self forced to eat when I didn't want to.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I have a pretty strong appetite, unless I'm on the computer (which seems to suspend my need to eat, sleep or do pretty much anything else, for some reason). I'm tremendously picky about how I indulge it, but mercifully the small number of things I'll eat are usually very simple to prepare/buy. Now if only they were healthy too...

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
With the exception of the occasional "pig out" moments that come and go, I've always eaten little. I've always been between 1-3 regular meals a day and I've never been big on snacking (with the exception of the times I, unsuccessfully, try to quit smoking). I never go over 2000 calories a day if I'm working and I can easily do with less than 1500 when I'm sitting on my ass.

Of course, the result of this was that I killed my metabolism and now I have the honor of getting fat the moment I eat anything even remotely unhealthy. So at this point I'm trying to shove something (healthy) down my pie-hole every hour or two (some fruit, maybe a sugar-free biscuit) to get my metabolism to wake up, even if I'm not peckish.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
I might have a fry up at work if the others are getting one.
I know I'm about to out myself as an ignorant yank here, but I have to know. What's a fry up? The left half of my brain wants to say it's a fish fry, and the right wants to say it's got something to do with potatoes.

OT: One of my prior jobs had terrible coffee, I speculated that it was probably because the water filter hadn't been cleaned in years. The only way you could choke the stuff down was having it with a candy bar or something to mask the taste. Because I wasn't about to face the day without the benefit of caffeine, I got into the habit of having something sweet with my coffee, and it's a habit I still can't break. Every morning I can't properly enjoy coffee without the accompaniment of a pastry, or sweet of some sort, so that's probably my biggest calorie intake upfront.

I'm 6 feet 1 inch and 135 pounds, so I never dip into what anyone would consider "overweight", in fact last I checked the Body Mass Index said I was emaciated. But I will put on a bit of weight if I stop moving around and eat nothing but fast food for a couple of weeks. But if I abstain from doing that, and eat several small meals throughout the day, my metabolism takes care of the rest.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Since I started working out daily in my 30's, I've been keeping track of what I eat much more. I really don't like the feeling of being full and I've always been a picky eater and I don't like sweets so I've never been overweight or in danger of even love handles but man... once you hit a certain age you'll discover the old adage "you are what you eat" isn't truth, it's TRUTH.

I keep a total calorie diary and I have a lot of self control, but it's hard to live in America and take in less than 2,400 calories/day.

And super easy to go overboard, even on healthy stuff. Google Bradley Cooper's 8,000 calorie/day diet for American Sniper. It's honestly just an average middle-American diet and it adds up to 8K cal/day.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Ravenbom said:
it's hard to live in America and take in less than 2,400 calories/day
it is!
everything in America is added salt and sugar!
in comparison, everything from my home country goes bad so much faster! and bread is also not sweet!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I admit I don't put much thought into my diet, and I should. I'm the heaviest I've ever been (although I'm not really gaining weight at the moment, but not losing it either). I tried to cook my own meals for a while but I guess I hate cooking because I've pretty much stopped completely.

I used to eat big lunches and dinners (I haven't eaten breakfast with any frequency for maybe 10 years now) but lately I've started just eating one huge meal a day and maybe a snack or something at night. Not every day, but enough days where I've noticed the trend.

As for my tastes, I'll eat just about anything. The only food I know I really hate today is turnips. Everything else I either like or don't mind.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Too much. Also bad quality (because it is cheaper, yay frozen pizza- deals if i buy 4 they are just 1.20 Euroes per pizza). And i eat a bit, when i am bored or just because "it is the time for eating".

So overall: yeah, i am overweight, bordering on fat. Really need to do something about that, but changing your whole lifestyle ist REALLY hard (my sympathies to the smokers, alcoholics, other drug addicts - they have it even harder)

Also only "normal" western food i won't eat: Anything with pineapple or raisins.