Poll: What is your appetite like?

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
I used to eat big lunches and dinners (I haven't eaten breakfast with any frequency for maybe 10 years now) but lately I've started just eating one huge meal a day and maybe a snack or something at night. Not every day, but enough days where I've noticed the trend.
I know this isn't an invitation for random advice, but from personal experience I'd suggest not doing that. It's what crippled my metabolism and it's becoming increasingly harder to lose weight as I grow older. Try to at least go back to three meals and, also from personal experience, a big-ass breakfast is a game-changer; not only does it give you enough energy to deal with your business for most of the day (complete with a mood boost), but unless you starve yourself afterwards, you'll be a lot less inclined to eat big meals for the rest of the day.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Stewie Plisken said:
Kolby Jack said:
I used to eat big lunches and dinners (I haven't eaten breakfast with any frequency for maybe 10 years now) but lately I've started just eating one huge meal a day and maybe a snack or something at night. Not every day, but enough days where I've noticed the trend.
I know this isn't an invitation for random advice, but from personal experience I'd suggest not doing that. It's what crippled my metabolism and it's becoming increasingly harder to lose weight as I grow older. Try to at least go back to three meals and, also from personal experience, a big-ass breakfast is a game-changer; not only does it give you enough energy to deal with your business for most of the day (complete with a mood boost), but unless you starve yourself afterwards, you'll be a lot less inclined to eat big meals for the rest of the day.
That's hokey nonsense. The reason you find it harder to lose wight as you grow older is because, well, it's harder to lose weight as you grow older. Your meal frequency doesn't affect your metabolism unless you actually starve yourself for extended periods of time (like, days). In fact, fat people have fairly active metabolisms compared to non-fat people because their body has to work harder just to function. Eating a big breakfast does not "jump start" your metabolism or set the tone for the rest of your day. It just makes you not hungry, which shockingly makes you feel better. I typically sleep until noon-ish though, so there's never been much point in eating breakfast for me. I'm a real night owl.

I appreciate the intent, but you should get real research from actual scientists who aren't trying to sell you something before giving nutrition advice to anyone ("Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is a marketing slogan with no basis in real research). Most research seems to say the "best" way to eat is "eat when you're hungry, and stop when you become not hungry." Besides, if I were to become a morning person (HA!) my breakfasts would be just as garbage-y as any other meal I eat. It's the food I eat that is unhealthy, not when I eat it. But it's so tasty...

Aug 31, 2012
Ebola_chan said:
I know I'm about to out myself as an ignorant yank here, but I have to know. What's a fry up? The left half of my brain wants to say it's a fish fry, and the right wants to say it's got something to do with potatoes.
It's a colloquial term for a full English breakfast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast#England

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Eh...

It varies, most days I just have a decent meal but just one a day, some other times I eat breakfast and Dinner and on extremely rare occasions I do get my 3 meals, how much I eat varies a lot too, I can eat just a Sandwich and have it be enough for an entire day or eat 3 hamburgers, fries and still have room for dessert, so I don't make much sense in that regard.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Voracious. I generally don't eat too much, but I always eat with much gusto. When the mood strikes me though, I can put away staggering amounts.

It helps that I am fortunate to be one of those people who can eat a lot without any significant weight gain.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I probably snack too often, and have a large amount of cheese. i normally go for stuff like pasta packets. if i worked out, i can probably fill in the amount minerals/carbs/whatever but for the moment im probably just starting to get a bit fat.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
My bad self image prevents me from eating proper. And if I do, it's either at irregular times, or just purely to take my meds. Drink alot of coffee or tea instead.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I've been ill for almost a year now which turned my appetite in to nothing, I lost over 20 lbs (10kg) in 2 months because I barely ate. Now I've been on these pills that made my appetite skyrocket and I've gained over 25 lbs the last few months. I'm still ill though so my appetite is either high or non-existent these days.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Given that I have high functioning autism I tend to be an extremely picky eater (hypersensitive to food textures) which is not good news for a competing powerlifter but I still manage. On average I eat about 3000-5000 calories a day depending upon the upcoming workout that day but only after I started taking ulcer medication did not appetite actually return after a long stint where I never felt hungry and had to remind myself to eat.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think I eat as much as I am supposed to. I eat about the same amount on a daily basis.
About what food I eat: If there is food, I eat it. That's about it. :D

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Sonmi said:
I don't really feel hunger, a result of my medication and of drinking coffee all day.

I could eat endlessly though, and whenever I fancy something, I'll eat ridiculous quantities of it.
i know the feeling with medication. im overweight but loosing weight fast because of it.. weird in a way because the meds are meant to put on weight

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I have non-diabetic hypoglycemia, inherited from my mom. So I process sugar quickly and if I don't eat for too long, it can cause confusion, dizziness, wobbly muscles, I basically become an incoherent catatonic mess. As a result, I can eat a ton of sweets and not gain an ounce. I also sweat easily so my weight fluctuates some between winter and summer. I do exercise twice each day and my job requires lots of lifting so combined with my inhuman ability to process sugar, I have an above average build. With a little self control I could be positively olympian but I would have to find a good substitute for processed sugars to maintain normal functions. Maybe fruit? So yea, sweets as necessary combined with meats and protein bars as I intend to drop at least 2 pant sizes by May or swap the fat for muscle, however it works out.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Well, most of my life I was pretty overweight and ate poorly. Then college rolled around and I lost 100 pounds and live a pretty fit lifestyle now and I'm the type of guy who lifts for fun. Where I'm going with this is, I make smart food choices most of the time but I do eat a lot of food. I'm 6'2 and 210 pounds of mostly muscle so I need a lot of fuel.

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
I used to be the first and got up to about 300 pounds. Then started running and learned to eat better and dropped down to 170. I still like to eat but I'm very picky. My meals must be nutritionally and aesthetically satisfying. Today I made an experimental wheat bread and some beef and spinach curry for lunch.

WorgenHunter

Feb 25, 2017
Some days I eat a lot, other days I just sit in my room until my stomach starts hurting, and it's making weird sounds. I'm so healthy.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Zhukov said:
I'm a natural glutton on a diet.

So yeah. I've basically spent the last six months wanting to eat absolutely fucking everything all the fucking time and fantasizing about the utter pig-out that is going to occur when I am no longer on a diet (rivers of ice cream, mountains of pizza, wild donuts swimming free in oceans of iced coffee...)

It doesn't help that I love almost any food. I'll eat and thoroughly enjoy just about anything that stays still long enough. No matter how cheap or crappy or unhealthy it is, chances are good that I think it's delicious.
Same here. Natural glutton on a diet. Thankfully, the replacement stuff tastes pretty good, and even butter is allowed for this diet, but I seriously miss eating out at all the restaurants in my area. It's especially disappointing when I have one of those rare days where I'm in a location I don't regularly visit, but cannot sample any of the local restaurants.