Poll: What is your favorite game in the Mass Effect Trilogy?

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Mass Effect 1. The game was so clunky and at first I disliked it, but I went in with no expectations and it didn't take long for it to blow me away. I was completely immersed, I felt like I was really in a world which had immense history and that as a human I had to prove myself in it. I could feel the tensions between races and the immensity of the galaxy, I loved how the characters were introduced, the story was much better than the later ones and it was much grittier. I love the games almost all equally and the action was much improved later on, but because my expectations were raised by then the later games were disadvantaged and they had a more cinematic feel, unlike the first one. ME2 and ME3 are definitely a pair and moved away from the style of ME1, but in both good and bad ways.

r4zgul

Jul 4, 2012
Terminate421 said:
I liked the second one the most.

I love them all, but the second one had a "feel" to it that worked. Plus it had the best soundtrack and had the most characters. Also, Legion as a squadmate.
Sorry but Mass Effect 1 had the best soundtrack not only in the series, but in gaming as a whole. Seriously that soundtrack is one of, if not, my favorite soundtracks ever.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
If 3 had ended with Andersons "You did good, child. You did good. I'm proud of you." speech, and bypassed the whole Catalyst thing, I would vote 3 in a heartbeat. The whole game was fantastic, everything I wanted, right up until that bull crap with the starchild.

And because of that, 3 is now the worst of them all, and 1 is my favourite.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mass Effect 2 definitely. It just expanded on the awesomeness of Mass Effect 1. A lot of awesome squad members, a new, dark atmosphere that really worked well. I loved it. Improved combat that I really, really loved. A lot more dialogue with characters and a lot more awesome choices. Amazing unique locations like The Citadel, Illium, Omega, Tuchanka. The whole mystery behind The Collectors was really great as well. I just love everything about that game. RPG elements were lacking a bit, but I play Mass Effect for the story. And that's where it delivered. Everything I've done in the game influenced the ending, and the ending itself was very epic and gratifying.

Mass Effect 3 really fucked renegade players in the ass. It is as the game was made with a paragon Shepard in mind. I play as paragon mostly so it's not a big deal for me. But knowing that if I choose to play a renegade Shepard I'd be very disappointed with how my choices from previous 2 games were handled in ME3 (they were completely ignored) makes me kind of angry.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
r4zgul said:
Terminate421 said:

I love them all, but the second one had a "feel" to it that worked. Plus it had the best soundtrack and had the most characters. Also, Legion as a squadmate.
Sorry but Mass Effect 1 had the best soundtrack not only in the series, but in gaming as a whole. Seriously that soundtrack is one of, if not, my favorite soundtracks ever.
Thats good to know that your opinion is basically fact. Its so good to know that I am wrong and you are right.

Also in case you didn't catch my drift:

r4zgul

Jul 4, 2012
Terminate421 said:
r4zgul said:
Terminate421 said:

Thats good to know that your opinion is basically fact. Its so good to know that I am wrong and you are right.

Also in case you didn't catch my drift:

I'm sorry, but I AM right. You see, I am the Lord, Jesus Christ, and my opinion is law. That's why I don't have to add qualifiers to my every opinion (by the way, why didn't you add a qualifier when you said that ME2 had the best soundtrack?), because I don't need to appease forum-goers with some weird chip on their shoulder.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I still find it hilarious that since they managed to come up with something worse than the Mako (planet scanning sucks, I don't think anyone will argue about that) people have retroactively decided it was fun. No it bloody well wasn't. Exploration doesn't count for shit when there's nothing fucking there. All the planets were functionally identical patches of land build by messing around with the terrain tool from the sims and swapping the textures. They did not make the galaxy feel big, they were slow and tedious sections of the game, and for a perfectionist like me who doesn't feel like he's allowed to be done with the game until he's found ever last goody in it, they were pure torture. Although I will grant, the shifty looking cow is hilarious.

EDIT-

Sseth said:
Very, very short for an RPG (9-12 hours?).
... did you have the DLC's, and did you do the side quests/find all the collectibles? Because the shortest I've ever done a perfect run of the game (and I've beat it about 17 times) was 21 hours (on Hardcore difficulty, so probably a few hours less if you ran it on normal or casual). Just curious.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
The way I mostly saw it was that ME1 was a mystery story, ME2 was an adventure story (with a strong Oceans 11 vibe), and ME3 was a war story.

...also ME1s gunplay was kind of subpar. Wouldn't have made it through that game if I wasn't so interested in the world.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
First two had their strengths and weaknesses, both covered each other for it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Having only played the first one, I'd say it wins my vote by default.

Although from what I've seen and heard I don't think I would like Mass Effect 2 or 3 as much anyway seeing as Mass Effect 1 has a special place for me.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sseth said:
ME 1 was great at the time, but has not aged well at all. I'm surprised people vote for it, it's great for starting the series but has anyone else went back to actually play it?
I have, and I loved it all over again. I loved the MAKO sections, I loved the energy bar for weapons instead of ammo, I loved the difficult choices I had to make, I loved the characters... I just love it. The combat is still less awkward than Deus Ex in my opinion.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I like story and a coherent plot so the first game is my favorite. None of the complaints about the combat bothered me but I agree that combat kept improving throughout the series minus shared cooldowns.

ME2 had better character personality minus Shepard(How do you not care that you died?!) but nothing was accomplished toward the overarching plot, forcing ME3 to carry the weight of 2 games worth of plot.

ME3 had the best combat and appropriately concludes subplot elements introduced earlier in the series(The usual scenes most people enjoyed like Tuchanka and Rannoch). There is quite a lack of polish probably due to time constraints but I hate seeing things like floating geometry and unfinished textures that allow me to see through terrain. The lack of vehicle sections and a decent quest log also mar my opinion of this game. The plot was good till the earth mission where Shepard forgets how to use a Cain and gets progressively worse near the end.

edit:

Sseth said:
ME 1 was great at the time, but has not aged well at all. I'm surprised people vote for it, it's great for starting the series but has anyone else went back to actually play it?

Very, very short for an RPG (9-12 hours?). The side quests are ridiculously awful, there are many glitches and it doesnt run very smoothly, and the combat and looting mechanics are very weak. Combat was mainly a slog to get to the next piece of dialogue.
I just completed it again a couple of days ago and it holds up to me.

I didn't run into any glitches while playing ME1, though I'm playing the PC version and I hear it fixed some things. Copy pasted dungeons never bothered me and I enjoyed the minigame in the first game much more than the ones in the second.

I don't see how it's so surprising that people still enjoy the first one even if the combat made great improvements in the sequels.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
i love the entire series but my favorites are mass effect 2 and 3, love everything about those games, i would have picked a draw between 2 and 3 if that was an option but i chose 3 because it had so many epic cutscenes and emotional moments that made me nearly cry.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ME1 takes the cake for sure, but 2 and 3 were good as well.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Mass Effect 3 for me. It's flaws actually helped it in someways, for example, now that the dialogue wheel was completely broken it forced me just to sit back and enjoy the character they had created rather than do my own. I tried constantly to assert my own chosen personality in ME2 but the games just aren't designed to let you do that. Shepard is a soldier with a defined personality. The only time you can actually roleplay as such is when your character happens to match with Shepards (which I imagine was the case for a lot of people, considering Soldier was by far the most popular class, I didn't want a badass or a military character)

Also the actual plot of ME2 is the worst thing ever and hardly fits at all. At best it's a very poor Monster of the Week plot. ME3 gives context, right at the end makes the Reapers have more than 0 dimension and hits very nice plot points (Illusive Man, Mordin etc). I actually liked the ending and I don't really want to install the EC. (All through the series the game judges your decisions and tells you what happens, I preferred to leave the ending completely open to what I hope, free from control. I really really don't want to be shown anything that happens with the Quarians or the Krogans after by the game. Let my mind do the work)

But mainly the combat is umpteen times better in ME3. It's actually enjoyable, and since the game forces you into combat all the time at least when I realise roleplaying is a bust and go to that, it's actually fun for once.

Mission structure was much more deep in ME3

The overheard dialogue conversations were genius level writing, I loved the variety of ways you interacted with the crew and the way they talked between themselves and had relationships between themselves. Those moments where you chose between two people were also very good

Although there were less of them, the interrupts worked better in ME3, you could tell what they did and I made very deliberate chocies, ignoring some, choosing paragon or renegades at others and I didn't feel like I was missing out or breaking character.

ME3 actually gives choices consequences, War Assets made all the sidequests feel like they had larger purpose. The environments were much more detailed, the council stopped being a strawman, they belatedly chose to give us a face to associate with evil etc

The map which shows you what you need to do where was nice for levels with lots of loading screens and they were better at highlighting when characters wanted to talk. Reputation was a very welcome addition to the previously broken paragon/renegade convos. Scanning was much better in ME3

It should be noted though, that the actual characters in ME2 were much more interesting and the cinematography much much better. For someone reason they based their colour pallette on grey for ME3 so all the visuals and environments suffered.

In many ways ME2 was the better game, but the combat was awful and yet it forced you to spend most of your time fighting and it promised something that it actively fought against delivering. With ME3 they stopped trying to convince you that you could make your own character and encouraged just enjoying the story and that works better.

Plus I hated fighting collectors. And Harbinger, oh Harbinger. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Griffon_Hawke179 said:
ME2 had hands down the best ending. ME3? no comment.
It's you again. Hi :D Anyway, if ME2 wins the best ending, it wins by default. It was literally just a cinematic trailer for a ME3. It didn't conclude anything :D. It was exciting (a very good trailer), just not really an ending in any way, and Collectors sucked. I never played ME1 so I'm a little surprised to hear that that ending was worse than 2

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
pandorum said:
Mikeyfell said:
"Mass Effect 3 is the worst thing humans have done since the Holocaust."
That a little strong don't you think?
Well, you should know that if you don't agree with all of my opinions you're wrong.
Secondly the Holocaust is still worse. You just have to go back to World War 2 before the badness of Mass Effect 3 is overshadowed.

The captha's appropriate at least "Geronimo!" because if you don't get the sarcasm in this post then I'm jumping head first into a troll tank.