Poll: What is your favorite genre of game. A Statistics assignment.

Crazzy349

Mar 27, 2011
Hello all.
I'm here to poll you to see what your favorite genre of video game is so I don't have to stand outside to get random people in my town to answer me, half of which have probably never played a video game*.

But that wouldn't have much in the way of discussion, so please describe why you like your selected genre and also give a example of a game in that genre that you think does it the most justice and why. And please, keep it civil.

*(for those of you wondering, I was assigned to come up with a poll in my AP Stats class and have people outside of my class respond to it, it can be anyone, but it must be at least 10 people and at least one male and female. I figured this would be a better and more interesting resource then just my friends, as hopefully you all know some videa garmes. Only the results of the poll will be used in the final project, just FYI)

I can't believe I misspelled Assignment.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Real-Time Strategy games will always hold a place in my heart. They require skill, thinking, planning, and dedication to simply win. There is nothing more satisfying than planning, building/preparing, and fighting against an opponent for potentially hours (in the BIG RTS games) and coming out of the other side victorious.

I'm biased, though. The first PC game I ever played was the Command and Conquer series, and I bought and played the entire series as a kid. I was so sad when EA butchered the series with that monster of a game C&C 4: Tiber-- errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Code:
"Error.

Could not finish operation: RepressedMemoryException detected.

Rebooting...

..."
Whoa, where the fuck am I? O_O'

Crazzy349

Mar 27, 2011
Qwurty2.0 said:
Real-Time Strategy games will always hold a place in my heart.
While I have never played C&C, I actually love the Empire Earth series. I cry myself asleep at night thinking about the awful 3rd one.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
I change from time to time what I like most, but I always like things with RPG tropes like magic, skill trees, sometimes turn based combat, customization and item storage, classes, and shops.

Crazzy349

Mar 27, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
"RTS" should've just been "Strategy". After all, not all strategy games, turn-based or real-time, are RPGs. Seems more appropriate and inclusive.

I chose RPG. Tough choice, though, especially with the inclusion of "stealth", which probably should've been filed under the absent "action" category.
Does it matter that much? Action seems to be just one of those genres that go in front of everything. Action-RPG, Action-Platformer, etc.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Mate, it's gotten to the point where every genre is borrowing from each other. You can find RPG elements in almost every game released now, same as action elements and sandbox games. So if anything, game genres have kinda blurred to the point where in which it's far too diluted to say which specific one is a personal favourite.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
bug_of_war said:
Mate, it's gotten to the point where every genre is borrowing from each other. You can find RPG elements in almost every game released now, same as action elements and sandbox games. ....
I have to agree with this, most games have RPG elements nowadays. I personally prefer RPGs but, since I don't really have the time to invest in them, I am playing mostly adventure games.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Eliam_Dar said:
bug_of_war said:
Mate, it's gotten to the point where every genre is borrowing from each other. You can find RPG elements in almost every game released now, same as action elements and sandbox games. ....
I have to agree with this, most games have RPG elements nowadays. I personally prefer RPGs but, since I don't really have the time to invest in them, I am playing mostly adventure games.
Yeah, I think games are probably one of the only mediums that currently have a nice gel of genres. For example, in music there are different genres, but there's always a dominant style, same can be said for movies and novels. Games are really the only medium (besides maybe from visual static art) that can blur ideas/genres and actually kinda make THAT the standard genre.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
I chose RPG which marginally edged out TBS (and Civilization). If I had to pick the seminal RPG.... I guess I will go with an uncontraversial pick: Planescape Torment. RPGs have traditionally been far more character and plot driven than other genres and this game is a good example of how and why.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
no option for JRPG makes me sad, but I suppose it's more of a branch of RPG than anything, so fair enough.

I voted RPG, yo. though I should point out I prefer a linear narrative to the free-world RPGs with thin central plots that are the standard for the genre presently... not that I hate the latter, either, just not as immersive for me.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I pick RPG simply because when I stop and think about it, most of my fondest gaming memories come from them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I voted for RPG, though, Sandbox RPGs are my true favourites. Mount and Blade Warband is my favourite game of all time and falls under this category.

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
Platformer. Give me a good Megaman, Mario or classic Metroid any day and I will be a happy man.

The poll options are a bit limited. What about non-shooting, non-adventure action games like Assassin's Creed? What about hack and slash? Puzzle games? Turn-based strategy? Third-person shooters? I know you put the catch-all "other" in there but it means that someone might forget about another genre and choose one that they can see. It also doesn't account for Eastern and Western RPGs being so radically different (I love a good JRPG but I hate WRPGs).

Oh, and don't forget about the sampling bias you're going to be getting from somewhere like the Escapist (there are a lot of PC gamers so of course lots of them are into RPGs)

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
RPG because generally speaking (obviously there are exceptions) I think they have the more interesting stories and characters, and the player will be given more ability to define their own character through dialogue choices, visual customisation, level up choices, etc. Plus I really like swords and sorcery, demons, dragons etc and those things tend to be more closely linked to RPGs.

Dragon Age Origins is my favourite individual game of all time but honestly my top 10 would probably be mostly RPGs including (not in any order), Mass Effect, Witcher, NeverWinter Nights, KOTOR, Baldurs Gate, Elder Scrolls and many more.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I went with Other, for puzzle games.

The main example being the Professor Layton games. They frustrate me to the extreme but dang if I don't feel smarter when I solve a puzzle.

Except math ones. Those puzzles can go back to the depths of hell.