Poll: What is your favourite kind of sword?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm partial to rapier as my favourite. I like the Late Medieval/Renaissance era in history where duelling became more about speed and accuracy and scientific principles.

In reality, well specific swords were made for specific situations, as explained here:
"There is No 'Best Sword'" [http://www.thehaca.com/essays/nobest.htm].

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Centrophy said:
I'm disappointed in this thread. No one has mentioned curved swords. Curved. Swords.

(Yes I know scimitars are curved...)
...Not a great fan of mixing reading and attention, aren't we ? :D
Not a great fan of knowing what you're talking about, aren't we? :)

No one used the exact wording as the meme. Do a Ctrl+F for all the pages of this thread. You won't find "Curved. Swords." anywhere.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
On the list? katana. I would very much like to justify this selection but I cannot. I have no reasonable explaination for this choice. I suppose it's because it's generally portrayed as the the quick and speedy alternative in videogames and that's what I like.

Not on the list? Kukri. This time I have no reason. Err...the Sniper uses it and he's awesome?

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
All i've got training with is katana, but that being said i'd go with some kind of hand-and-a-half sword, because i like that option. probably throw a buckler on my left arm too.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
TheSentinel said:
OH DIP, Jack fuckin Churchill. Sorry, but one (admittedly seriously fuckin badass) dude ain't doin much to sway the whole "swords are completely goddamn irrelevant in the modern world. and when posts like

White_Lama said:
Katana, mainly because samurais are awesome.

Secondly because I have one in real life to be prepared for the zombie outbreak.
happen you know the thread is beyond hope
Then how about them?:

Yup thats WWII.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Centrophy said:
JesterRaiin said:
Centrophy said:
I'm disappointed in this thread. No one has mentioned curved swords. Curved. Swords.

(Yes I know scimitars are curved...)
...Not a great fan of mixing reading and attention, aren't we ? :D
Not a great fan of knowing what you're talking about, aren't we? :)

No one used the exact wording as the meme. Do a Ctrl+F for all the pages of this thread. You won't find "Curved. Swords." anywhere.
Well, i'm not sure how about reality you're coming from, but this one i'm currently focused on recognize Falcatas as pretty "curved". :D

http://deadliestwarrior.wikia.com/wiki/Falcata_Sword

I could ***** about Sappara, Kopesh, Falx, Kilij, Yatagan and, ahem, Crescent and Batleth.
I could cite myself saying
It's no secret and no coincidence that best blades for cavalry were usually curved.
...but i feel sad all of the sudden. Only sad.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Saladfork said:
Yes, I know I missed a lot, but I only have 8 options.

Personally, I am a fan of the versatility offered by the Bastard sword and in most video games I'll take one if I can find one. My love of the speed of a rapier comes in second.

What about you guys?
I don't know why you included the Falcion or the Epee in there, when like you said you only had 8 options.

Claymore, the 13th century one, not the 17th century one

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
There's something undeniably sexy about the speed, agility and grace of fighting with a rapier. It's something I'd absolutely love to learn.

Vancleef

Jul 6, 2010
I know very little about swords. Anything works as long as it's well balanced, easy to use and don't weigh a ton.

LittleJP

Mar 1, 2011
Personally, with what foil experience I had, I've always had a little something for a well made smallsword.

Still can't own one, with the more accurate ones running about a grand.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
Rapier (or Colichemarde if I want to be specific) - I did fencing for eight years and know how effective they could be in the right hands.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'm fond of the rapier myself. I've never done fencing or any kind of sword training, and the only swords I own are cheap nasty katanas they sell at flea markets, but if I were ever to buy a sword with the intend of starting a sword collection, the rapier is where said collection would start.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Used to do fencing a few years ago, with a rapier since most competitive fencing was with it. (Because of how easy it is to count points with the button at the tip, I believe, a sabre would be more difficult to do such without a referee...plus I found it exceedingly awkward)

Anyway...I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by favourite sword, by looks or what I'd prefer to wield? Not that it matters, since I'd prefer the longsword.
Not only does it looks great, but it offers the versatility of either one handed or two handed use, can deal with armour (a shortcoming of a few of the options) which means it is versatile, something I would very much crave.
Unless no ones wearing armour and it's all about fighting? Then the rapier, since I could then feel safe in using the weapon I'm used to.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
Hmmm, for actual durability and usefulness and looks probably a bastard sword. I do feel I've slightly betrayed my fencing weapon of choice however. I do love my saber, especially my brand new one with a blue blade. But the bastard sword is so plain yet so lethal and looks superb I just couldn't bare to go with anything else in my vote

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
The bastard sword, possessing the maneuverability and weight of a one-handed sword whilst allowing for some of the power of a two-handed sword. That said, the katana is also an attractive weapon for its disembowelling slash.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
Katannas, the amazing amount of craftsmanship that goes into one makes them both beautiful and effective. In other words it has both form and function.