Poll: What is your opinion of PeTA?

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
http://www.nokillnow.com/PETAIngridNewkirkResign.htm
Considering that they murder more animals every year than a million michael vicks,
I would have to say that they are assholes,
and no I dont buy the bullshit excuse that they are "misguided" ETC,
no,they are not,they are scumbags hiding beneath a benevolent disguise,like a Nazi in a clown suit.
is that clear enough or am I being too ambiguous again? :)

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Togs said:
DRes82 said:
I don't agree. There are many humans out there that I wouldn't shed a tear for if they were in pain or dying. However, I can't think of any type of animal that I would wish harm or death to.
If you dont mind me asking why od you hold that opinion? As the only basis I can think of for it is mawkish sentimentality which is not sufficient in my opinion ot justify some of the behaviour that PETA members are infamous for, and I know that Im missing an angle in my analysis of it.
If read my previous post, I said that I think most of peta's member-base and most certainly their leadership is completely misguided and foolish.

That said, humans are the only animal capable of cruelty for the sake of cruelty. Also, there are 7 billion humans on the planet. I like the common analogy of a virus. Why in the world, logically, would we place a priority on such an animal over others that aren't nearly so commonplace or destructive? In fact, which are much more likely to disappear and also which are much more healthful for the planet.

Its not mawkish sentimentality, in my opinion, but logic.

phylline

Oct 23, 2011
I can't remember where exactly this came from, but my vegfriends and I have a "vegans against PETA" thing going on. I guess that sums it up.

I think they're impractical, hypocritical and needlessly preachy.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
I used to regard them as a generally easily-ignored source of unintentionally hilarious ad campaigns and such. And by and large, that held true. It wasn't so much that I didn't like them so much that I simply didn't take them seriously.

And one thing changed that: they crashed my cousin's college graduation. They ran on stage, seized the microphone, and screamed that everyone attending was an accessory to murder and torture.
and were they arrested? charges against them should have been pressed.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Where is the option for Misguided, ignorant, and foolish? I mean, I've posted my opinion on PeTA several times across different threads on these boards, and I just got off work, and I don't really feel like doing it again right now. However, I will summarize it: They are short-sighted and ignorant, ignoring the fact that domesticated animals have no chance of survival in the wild, and that even if they did, the death of an animal in the wild is far more painful and horrible than any death at the slaughterhouse.

Also, they are animals, they are not humans, and they do not deserve to be treated as such. Every single form of life on this planet, survives by destroying other life, in one way or another. We will not, nor could we be any different. What gives them the right to say that it is wrong to kill animals but ok to slaughter plants?

Life only survives through death, and while I believe that animals should not be made to suffer needlessly, nor do I believe it is justified to rail futily against that reality and spend billions of dollars on making feed cows more comfortable, in turn making it more expensive to eat their delicious meat.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
They have good intentions but their execution is very poor and creates a very bad image for them.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Not a fan.
I get fighting for animal rights, that's fine, but they started being jerks about it at some point, I think it was right around the time they got their knickers in a bunch over Cooking Mama that I REALLY lost respect for them, and it's been all down hill from there.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Gmans uncle said:
Not a fan.
I get fighting for animal rights, that's fine, but they started being jerks about it at some point, I think it was right around the time they got their knickers in a bunch over Cooking Mama that I REALLY lost respect for them, and it's been all down hill from there.
what did cooking mama do wrong? it's a children's DS game?

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
CulixCupric said:
Gmans uncle said:
Not a fan.
what did cooking mama do wrong? it's a children's DS game?
I guess they didn't get MAD per-say, but they did mock it pretty rudely This'll explain everything...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87494-Cooking-Mama-The-PETA-Version

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I just hate how all the PETA members I know shove as much propaganda as possible down your throat. Yes I'm going to eat that steak. No, those pictures of cow intestines aren't going to stop me. They will, however, move you into the non-friend zone with the quickness.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
PETA once tried to discourage people from eating fish by starting a campaign to rename them "sea kittens".

They are completely insane.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Other: Funny. Most of their propaganda is just straight up hilarious in its over the topness.

As for some of their other activities, particularly the eco-terroristy ones are less funny.
But overall, they're hilarious in their efforts which usually end up undermining their whole message.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Aidinthel said:
PETA once tried to discourage people from eating fish by starting a campaign to rename them "sea kittens".

They are completely insane.
a fish isn't a kitten even if you call it that. a tail isn't a leg even if you call it that. i think a US president had something to say on that a long time ago, that if you call a tail a leg, it still isn't a leg. so they are insane.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think it is good they want to help end animal cruelty but they are way too extreme at how they go about it. Getting mad at the Battlefield 3 rat thing seems silly. Killing hundreds of AI people is fine but god forbid that you kill an AI rat.

I hate animal cruelty. In my opinion anyone that would willingly abuse an animal for fun is sick and needs to heavily fined or thrown in prison for many long years.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Negative. So much negative.

I like to think they had the most good intentions. But then somewhere around the way, they got lost. And then went absolutely bonkers.

For all the good things they might have done... it's only one step forward; two steps back.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
CulixCupric said:
Char-Nobyl said:
I used to regard them as a generally easily-ignored source of unintentionally hilarious ad campaigns and such. And by and large, that held true. It wasn't so much that I didn't like them so much that I simply didn't take them seriously.

And one thing changed that: they crashed my cousin's college graduation. They ran on stage, seized the microphone, and screamed that everyone attending was an accessory to murder and torture.
and were they arrested? charges against them should have been pressed.
Beats me. They make a habit of doing it, at least at Columbia University. So even if these specific guys got charged with something, it's not an isolated incident, and that's what shapes my opinion the most.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
CulixCupric said:
What is your opinion of PeTA?

I think they want to good, but are misguided, and ignorant of the real problems surrounding animal cruelty.

what's your opinion.

EDIT: any advice or input on how they can improve.
I think that they take their already radical ideas and try to make them even more radical.

What this means is, that they are now taking places to court for having whales jump out of water for fish, and criticizing the virtual killing of a rat in a videogame.

They're stupid and naive at best.

If they were to address the actual, real life problems at hand, such as people intentionally treating dogs, cats, etc. like shit; and address them rationally, then I would have more respect for them.