Poll: What is your stance on swearing?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Quite a few people in our day and age are into the cuss words and I figured I'd make a poll asking Internet users if they swear because I have nothing better to do.

So, do you think that swearing is bad or a'ight? And do you swear or choose not to? Personally, I think it's a-ok, but I don't typically use swear words. I don't really know why.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's all about context.

Do I swear while I'm with my friends out on the town? Fuck yeah! Although I don't swear often; it's more for emphasis or when I'm wicked unhappy...

Do I swear while at work/church/school? H - E - double hockey stick no!

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
For me, it's all about what you mean behind it. One thing that always gets me is: why are words associated with things in the first place (but I don't obsess on this because I accept that they are what they are...) and that certain things may cause offence in other languages such as the car MR2 when said in a french accent says merde, meaning shit.

Mark Watson made a point once on his radio show about 5 years ago to a pretty similar point, such as why you can't, say, replace 'frisbee' and 'twat'?

I often swear at people and call them things like 'daft tosser' but I mean no harm by it, and the tone of my voice (or surrounding statements when in written form) show that I'm not being cruel, I'm being jokey and harmless.

Certain people I do reserve ire for, I could call them anything, and with vitriol behind it, the offence becomes clear. Of course, it's easier to be insulting with profane words, but I don't feel that this nor the opposite need be true.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Yes, I swear. And there's nothing wrong with it. How you're using the word in context is the base of wheter of not someone should get angry, but that's true of every word.

When I walk into a room with my friends in it, I say "Hey assholes". They full well know I havnt said it to indicate I'm mad at them.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I use it mostly to emphasize a point. I swear anywhere (never excessively) except in front of strangers.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Personally, I don't swear all that often because I take context and emphasis into consideration. It's not so much that swearing is out and out "bad," it's more that there are really very few situations where it's at all appropriate. It also basically totally defeats the purpose of swearing if every second word you say is a swear. There's no emphasis to the word choice any more and, quite frankly, you just end up sounding like you don't have the intelligence to get your point across in any other way.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I swear a fair amount. I've accidentally dropped an f-bomb drop in front of my grandma before, but she didn't hear it so it's OK, right? I also swear in front of children sometimes.

IDK, both my parents curse like sailors so it's not much of an issue.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Swearing is appropriate is certain situations, and sometimes it is not.

Example:

Library- Not appropriate

Getting in a car accident in which a small child is jettisoned from the opposing car into your car whilst a pterodactyl is wrestling with a SWAT helicopter only feet above the ground-appropriate

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
It's seasoning for words.

In the proper amounts it's useful, but overseasoned food is generally garbage.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
People who insist that people shouldn't swear have my contempt.

This kind of stuff is some of the worst shit I know of.

I swear whenever I want to, which is often in regular conversation. There's nothing wrong with it, and certain people need to stop taking offense at words.

Esoomspark

Aug 4, 2012
Honestly, I know for kids it might be at least a bit understandable, saying words with alternate meanings they probably shouldn't know about.

But Adults/Older teens? Perfectly fine. Everyone has to express themselves in their own way.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
It's all about context.

Do I swear while I'm with my friends out on the town? Fuck yeah! Although I don't swear often; it's more for emphasis or when I'm wicked unhappy...

Do I swear while at work/church/school? H - E - double hockey stick no!
ninja'd on the first post.

When I'm out and about with friends or driving, I swear like a sailor, just because it's what I do.

But I work at a summer-camp, and there's no way in heck I would ever even think about swearing there, or at any of my other jobs either

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I don't swear around young children or my grandmother. I don't use racial, ethnic or sexual slurs. Other than everything is fair fucking game.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I absolutely love swearing.
In its place. When it's done right, it's like adding a little bit of spice to your words.
But as with any spice, if it's overused, it's just unpleasant. So I try to use moderation.
Try being the key word there.
I've been known to make sentences out of nothing but swears when I drive.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I swear constantly, not in front of children, parents, or people I don't know particularly well though.

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
Occasionally, but only to add emphasis or when I'm pissed. It honestly feels better if I save it up for when I really want to use cuss words, not just using them willy nilly all the time. I don't know what it is, but I have to resist the urge to laugh when I hear someone who structures their sentences around curse words.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I'm a more precision-F-strike type than the cluster-F-bomb type. Not to add emphasis, but to point out I've been really aggravated and the gloves have come off.

Though, the inside of a car, specifically the driver's seat...that exists in a weird parallel universe.