Jun 16, 2008
Ladette said:
American Grading scale.

A = 4.0 Great
B = 3.0 A Bit Above Average
C = 2.0 A Bit Below Average
D = 1.0 You Suck
F = 0.0 You Done F**ked Up
So okay, this is for everyone who doesn't live state side. That's the scale of what each letter grade is worth but no one seems to have said how to calculate your GPA.

The way it works is you take each of the letter grades for your classes. For the purposes of this explanation lets say you're took 6 classes this semester and your final grades are 3 B's, 2 A's, and 1 C.

You then take the point value for each letter and add them together (you're essentially getting your average) Note that you cannot have a GPA higher than 4.0 in this system. Some high schools with gifted programs go past 4.0 but in the university system the GPA scale does not go higher than 4.0.

8 = 2 A's
9 = 3 B's
2 = 1 C

19 / 6 = 3.16

Since you're GPA won't be rounded up you can say that your GPA for the semester would be a 3.1

If you want your overall GPA you do the same thing with every letter grade on your transcript. Note that you can't go over 4.0 in this system. Some high schools will go past 4.0 if they have gifted programs but for the most part in high schools and in universities you can't go higher than a 4.0

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
I'm a sleep in til 2pm and miss lectures kind of student. Your American grade system centric poll is irrelevant to me.

So...disregard uni coursework, play New Vegas sums it up xD

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
I generally score 3.5-4 (that'd be conversion as I live in an area that does percentages, I think my last term averaged out to 94 or 3.7) as I just do all the work and leave it at that.

It's pretty funny considering my attitude towards school.

And studying, which quite literally (in the actual sense of the word literal) doesn't actually happen.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Serving UpSmiles said:
MurderousToaster said:
Serving UpSmiles said:
MurderousToaster said:
Serving UpSmiles said:
Empty Seven said:
Yeah... you Yanks keep that thing....

I'll stick with my firsts, seconds and thirds...
Yeah you Midlanders can keep your rats arse of a curriculum.

Standard Grade and Highers keep it real in Scotland.
Scotland has the most real of all the educational systems, and it does, indeed, keep it. Although all the SQA invigilators look so old they should be fossils or middle-aged and depressed.

Indeed, I have an Exam tommorow, so i shall be remembering this quote, I think they have been into education for so long they can't see any other form of work. Also i would find it depressing seeing children who have gotten greater opportunitis than themselves.
I also have an exam tomorrow - S.G English. There's a huuuuuuuuge break between the end of the writing and start of the close reading, though. I'm really not sure why.
I only ask which school you go to because i have the same Exam times.
I think the SQA exams are at the same times across the country to avoid people being able to give each other the answers in between exams if there's a discrepancy. The exam timetable [http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Timetable2011.pdf] is the same everywhere, so I think that unless something catastrophic happens at your school the exams are at the same time for everyone give or take a few minutes.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I'm usually somewhere between 3.5-4.0 most of the time, with it dropping closer to the former this year due to trigonometry being the hardest fucking class I have ever taken.

And I'm guessing next year won't be much better, seeing as I'm taking pre-calculus, physics, AP English 11, psychology, Spanish III, and more.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
I need 3 As at A level to get into my first choice uni... and I got 1 A and 3 Bs at AS level... so yeah.