Poll: What level did you start off on Guitar Hero?

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
I was watching my sister play World Tour the other day. She was playing it on easy, which struck me as odd; she's one of the few people I regard as my equal.

Now, the first time I played Guitar Hero was with my friend Zeb. He had just gotten GH3 for the PS2. I stayed with him for a week and we played through the entire friggin' thing. It was Epic.

So, what was your first expirience with Guitar Hero? Also, if you have a favorite song to play, why don't you tell us? Mine is My Name Is Jonas on Guitar Hero 3, although I like Everlong on Guitar Hero World Tour (I haven't played it on Rock Band).

Final talking point, are there any songs you wouldn't mind seeing in Guitar Hero? I can think of a few, but I'll have to sort it out in my head before I post it.

Apologies for starting up another Guitar Hero thread; in my defense, it's more a general discussion than just a wishlist.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I failed on easy the first time I played.

My favorite song is definitely Bark at the Moon, from GH1. Although, I will always prefer trying to sing Run to the Hills and Ballroom Blitz on Rock Band...

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I honest to God, started on expert. I'm a guitar player and it felt far more natural to start there. I couldn't stand purposefully missing notes out so expert it was.

Edit:

World Tour was the first one I bought. I played maybe twice on each game since the original came out tho.

My favourite song to play was 'Pull Me Under' on bass. And all of the Tool tracks were great.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Myself and my mate started at medium because we weren't game to use all five buttons but thought we could handle four. We were also getting drunk at the time so five buttons seemed a little daunting as our hand-eye co-ordination was inevitably going to go down...

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
ravens_nest said:
I honest to God, started on expert. I'm a guitar player and it felt far more natural to start there. I couldn't stand purposefully missing notes out so expert it was.
I'm a guitar player too. Guitar playing in no way makes Guitar Hero easier, minus the speed at which your fingers can move.

I mean, I was playing on a Fisher Price guitar. That threw me off. A lot.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I tried going on expert when I first started...I failed, quite badly but finally after a year of practice I just finished it on expert yesterday woohoo.
Anyway, in terms of BEST SONG EVAAAR!!!!1111!eleven, I quite like Impulse, it's just fun to play and sounds so cool if you can get it right, maybe top gun because the solo is awesome and it is so cheesey it's great.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
ravens_nest said:
I'm a guitar player too. Guitar playing in no way makes Guitar Hero easier, minus the speed at which your fingers can move.

No it didn't make it easier, just the concept of strumming and fretting on time comes more natural. That was something I could only really achieve on expert difficulty.

And that is only since World Tour. Expert on the previous titles were ridiculous. I can play Welcome to the Jungle easily on guitar but it was a ***** on GH3 on expert.

Did any guitarists out there notice how much more sense the notes made in World Tour. Musically it felt better.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I started on Easy then worked my way up to the top. I can now play expert rather well.
Favorite song: Through the Fire and The Flames or Panic Attack (Rock Band 2)

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Flying-Emu said:
ravens_nest said:

No it didn't make it easier, just the concept of strumming and fretting on time comes more natural. That was something I could only really achieve on expert difficulty.

And that is only since World Tour. Expert on the previous titles were ridiculous. I can play Welcome to the Jungle easily on guitar but it was a ***** on GH3 on expert.

Did any guitarists out there notice how much more sense the notes made in World Tour. Musically it felt better.
Well, the strumming yes, but the fact that there was only five primary colored buttons threw me off, when I was used to ... lots more.

Yeah, it made more sense in World Tour than in GH3, but it still felt wrong in a few places. Like, the note would obviously have been higher on the neck and they'd throw it to the farthest possible place.

sirsolo

Jan 10, 2009
Wish I could multi-select: Rockband, Medium, play both Guitar and Drums.
I can do expert drums on Some songs, Hard on like.. ONE of them, and I can do hard Bass.

I dont own the game. hahaha.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
ravens_nest said:
Flying-Emu said:
ravens_nest said:

Well, the strumming yes, but the fact that there was only five primary colored buttons threw me off, when I was used to ... lots more.

Yeah, it made more sense in World Tour than in GH3, but it still felt wrong in a few places. Like, the note would obviously have been higher on the neck and they'd throw it to the farthest possible place.
Your guitar has many multi-couloured buttons? This I must see!

One day I am going to photo shop a picture of a GH controller with all 130+ buttons across 6 different flippy flappy strumming bars, just to show non-guitar playing users who boast too much, what's what...

I was impressed with the effort that went into doing it though. It was a big leap from the others. I found the original GH a joke when I first played it. Apparently the new greatest hits GH will take many of the classic tracks AND re-map them so they play better.

CertifiedWaffle

Mar 3, 2009
I started out on easy then worked my way up to medium/hard, but I don' play that much so I'm terrible with expert.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
i played it in store because i own rockband now XD
but i started on medium because id already played the DS version, i know its not the same but i did ok

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Started on easy. :p
I tried Medium for a while but it was too confusing.

My favourite song is Cult of Personality on Hard.
Insane Hammer-ons for the win.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
Started on medium, worked my way up to being able to do every song on hard and about half of them on expert.

Did drums on rock band the same can do hard on all (except for 3 or 4 retardedly hard songs) and about half on expert.

Anyone else notice that the hardest songs on hard are miles harder than most of the expert songs?

Shame i've never actually owned GH or rockband :p

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
I started on Medium, worked my way to Hard, and have been there for 2 years.

My favorite song to play has to be Free Bird. I'm a big Skynyrd fan and, unlike Through The Fire And Flames, it's a song that someone on my level can actually beat and enjoy doing so without muscle cramps. (Although I do think it's giving me Carpel Tunnel).

The song I'd like to see most, without a doubt is "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppord.
It's a great song, it's somewhat challenging, but fun, and most all, it's a kick ass classic rock song that almost everybody knows. (All this weird new shit they keep putting on there is making me sick).

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I started on Easy, and worked my way through the entire game (This was GH2) with 5 stars on every song before I went onto Medium. Did the same thing then and worked my way up to hard. Got most songs 5 starred on Hard (Except the few that are really tricky) and just said 'screw it' and slaughtered the game on expert.

So now I'm pretty good. Not the best, but I can hold my own in an expert battle.

I also love 'My Name is Jonas' on GH3, and can almost finish it on expert with 100% completion. Well, I could when I last played. It's been a while.

I'd like to see just more 'fun' songs. Songs that are upbeat, and that you just have to bounce to when playing. Like 'Dead!' or 'Girlfriend' in GH2. Those, I find, are the most fun to play.