Poll: What music do YOU listen to

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I voted rock, since most of my favorites can be described as falling somewhere in between Fleetwood Mac and Cannibal Corpse. There was no metal listing, so I figured that was included.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh a bit of this, and a bit of that. By this and that I mean Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, House, Alternative, Progressive Rock and Trance. I don't really like putting a genre on what music I listen to, I prefer naming artists because I don't listen to the genres as a whole.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Mostly blues, rock and metal, mostly stuff that sits in the grey area between rock and metal. Not that I refuse to listen to other stuff (except soulless auto-tuned R&B), it's just that electric guitar, bass and drums is the most pleasing to my ears.
enjoy.

Jun 13, 2009
I put myself down as "other" because I can't think of any other way to categorise a music taste spanning this:

to this

to this

to this

The obvious theme would be rock influence and the crazy branches of that tree that have been created over the years, but I wouldn't call it all "rock"..

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
The past two years or so I've been digging rock with a bit of a country vibe such as Earth's newer works and Neil Young.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I listen to rock, classical, some techno, and whatever category Johnathan Coulton and OK Go fit into. Within those categories I'm not too picky, as long as the band in question stays far away from autotune. I even listen to Nickelback, which is apparently looked down upon? Sure they're nothing special, but they're not this abomination the internet is making them out to be.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
List time (I answered "other" by the way)!

Rock, jazz, some rap, some hip-hop, folk, country, neofolk, pop, post-rock, post-metal, space rock, ambient music, drone, minimalist, contemporary piano, some classical music, generic rock, hard rock, soft rock, blues, prog rock, avante-garde rock, doom metal, funeral doom metal, drone metal, some death and black metal (though not much), melodic metal, prog metal, some thrash, some -cores (but very few), noise, sludge metal (mostly Mouth of the Architect and a few similar bands, but I listen the hell out of them), dark ambient, some psybient, a bit of electronic music. I know I'm forgetting a few on there.

To shorten the list for convenience, though: most types of rock, the slower and/or more melodic types of metal, post-rock, post-metal, avante-garde/prog-anything, counry, folk, drone, ambient.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
I think metal could have done with a category. I got funnelled into "other". I also listen to hard electronic music which is not techno or dubstep, but that probably does deserve to be in "other".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I like how there are so many genres under "rock" when the majority of this site likes metal (or that is usually how it turns out when metal is on there), yet electric/techno and dubstep (the lowest and most pathetic form of techno) are separate.
Thought struck me too. So far there's only 1 vote for Jazz and a few votes for Techno and rap/hiphop, but metal which I guess most who votes places either under rock or other in this poll isn't mentioned. Considering how broad that genre is it deserves its own option rather than dubstep which as you said is techno in a cheap form while techno is music in a cheap form as it is.

OT: My music taste is made up by mostly punk and sub genres of punk, but I can enjoy classic rock such as Queen just as easily. At times I even like to listen to some Tupac, though that's fairly rare, I guess I grew out of it...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I tend to go through phases

right now I'm in an "Electronic" phase

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Well, mainly J-pop and J-rock, Rock, Metal, Parody, and Alternative. I will listen to anything if I have to.

My personal favorite of all of those is parodies, though. I just love them.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Electronic: electro, techno, downtempo, deep house, ambient, trance, and many others (except for dubstep, breakcore, house. Styles that are fast and chaotic I don't enjoy)

Outside of electronic, I don't enjoy too many groups and its usually because I can't stand the singing.

Musical acts I do enjoy tho: Tool, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen (before Roth left), Pink Floyd, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Les Claypool, Buckethead, and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I go through my different phases every so often. Right now i'm at my rap phase and starting to move toward my country phase

but no matter what phase i'm in I always, ALWAYS, listen to Taylor Swift.

kelmaro

Mar 15, 2011
Well id have to go with "other" since it feels like Bossa Nova and Shibuya Kei are my favorite genres but I do like generally any genre just hard to find the music I like in each one

but stuff like this is what I usually listen to

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Metal gets no love in the poll... :(

Metal is my main genre of choice, but I listen to nearly everything. The only genres I don't really care for are country and pop, but even then there's a few that could fall into those categories which I'll like.