Poll: What percentage of games that you purchase are brand new, $60 titles?

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
I'm surprised "I don't buy games" got any votes on this site. But whatever. I buy old xbox games in bulk on Amazon or get things during a steam sale. I do occasionally buy new if a game really gets me excited (usually a developer or series I like, sometimes a cool gameplay mechanic) to support the devs.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I'm dirt poor at the moment as I work my way through college, so my yearly budget for games is about $200. That being said, I do usually reserve 1 game or so that I absolutely want to have right at the moment it comes out. All the rest I usually buy off Steam when they go on sale for 75%. Summer and winter sales for me... oh my god, you guys, summer & winter sales, you guys, summer & winter sales--oh my god.

This year's reserved title? The new XCOM. 2 more weeks, baby...

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
I try to avoid the $60 price at all costs. I would call for a boycott on it, having bought games in the $20-$50 range all my life, but I'm fairly certain less than 1% of customers would join me in said endeavor.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It depends on the game, any single player ones that I want will take a slight back seat for some of the multiplayer ones since I want to enjoy them before the next CoD of BF game snaps up most of the player base.

I would say probaby 60/40 the latter being buying them at launch price.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I think I've only done that twice: Kingdoms of Amalur.

Well... okay... bought at full price, not brand new. I waited forever for them to lessen the price of Black Ops. They didn't, and my roomy was having so much fun. It's finally down to 40, btw, used. A year ago, that wasn't the case.

Zack Schlipf

Jul 8, 2012
About 60/40 for me in favor of newer.
I spend quite a bit of time looking into new releases and only typically buy newer games if I am really interested in them and/or if I really want to support the group that makes them or an idea that they represent(bought Asura's Wrath precisely for that reason). I also buy a lot of games on steam through preorder(steam typically reduces the price for preorders and there are a lot of good cheap titles on steam right at release).
The past couple of years have seena lot of great releases, so that is why I have mostly bought games at release price.

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
New does not equal $50+ dollar games. I don't buy games based on how expensive they are.

I had a great time with Warlock:Masters of the Arcane, Faster Than Light, and Dungeons of Dredmor. I Bought Torchlight (wasn't my cup of tea), and Endless Space (bit of a disappointment).

I Skipped Diablo 3, Skyrim and Borderlands 2, and I probably won't be buying XCOM or SimCity 5 either.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
As many as I can. I'll occasionally buy games on Steam sales but since a large part of my PC purchases are literally time sinks - Diablo 3, Skyrim, WoW - I'm buying more console titles. I recently purchased Borderlands 2 and Mists of Pandaria, killing my game budget for the time being, and am now looking at Guild Wars 2 and the upcoming Resident evil 6 and Assassin's Creed 3 when I get the funds. I never like being late to the party when it comes to online games so those are always the first purchase. On the negative side I have a backlog of single player adventures I have yet to pick up.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I buy most of my games new (about 80%). To my luck the video store near my home orders the PEGI versions and most of the time they`re cheaper as in the normal stores. I recently bought the ps3 version of Borderlands 2 for 50 euro.

@BreakfastMan
Love your avatar, too bad it´s almost over.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Most of my collection were day one purchase while the rest were either bought later or were in a sales.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Most of em, but I don't buy many games in a year so I can afford to. I do check out the pawnshop type places first though, usually get them pretty much brand new a day or two after release. Or supermarkets are often a fiver or so cheaper.

ManOwaRrior

Apr 12, 2011
I mostly buy new games. The rule for me is: if it is worth my time, it is also worth my money. If it is not worth my time, it is not worth my money, even if it is cheap.
There are sometimes exceptions to this rule, but if a game doesn't interest me when it is new and full price, chances are it won't interest me when it is old and cheap.

So yeah, I buy mostly new.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
kman123 said:
Depends on the year.

Two years ago it was about 1%. This year it's like 90%. The perks of having actual income.
Pretty much this! :p and also.. alot of promising AAA titles and indie titles lately and upcoming that i think is worth supporting ^^

Verex

May 31, 2010
The only games I've purchased at $60 is the Mass Effect trilogy. I usually only buy older games, used games, or I will borrow games from my friends. There's not a lot of money floating around in my pocket, so I try to get the best deal by waiting it out.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
As a Canadian steam using PC gamer, I almost never spend $60 on even the newest titles, those usually round out at $30-$50 and almost always end up with some sort of prelaunch discount if i pre-purchase... also if it comes in a 4-pack, I will totally see if I can get my bros on board and buy the 4 pack and then end up saving like a third of the price, because that way we all only pay like $20 for a $30 game kinda deal... Only a few games come out at the $60 rance for pc and those are usually blizzard/activision titles (kotic loves to push up those prices after all) and I think the last thing I bought from them, was cataclysm, for WoW which I don't play anymore.

:p But also steam sales get me to buy older or cheaper titles that I think look fun too, I mean when you're only laying down $5 for it, why not? or some of the games I've picked up for $1.25

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Maybe 10%? possibly even less. I generally don?t buy games over $80 ( I a NZer, the standard price for new release games is $100) and I don?t even buy many games at that price anymore. Most the games I play are years old and I buy then during sales.