Poll: What Tactics Do You Prefer?

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Last weekend, my cousin was playing Modern Warfare 2 on my profile. I noticed that he only made one custom class, even though I said he could he use all the slots. He said, "I only need one class to deal with anything I could encounter." I told him that I prefer a scalpel approach: I have classes to deal with certain situations, like counter-sniping, defending, etc.

So Escapists, which tactic do you prefer? Universal tactics (the bludgeon) or specialized tactics (the scalpel)?

Diet Chaos

Aug 21, 2009
Well, while I admittedly just run in and shoot things in multiplayer games, in others [when it's available], I like to sneak in, take what's mine, and sneak back out, without anyone being the wiser.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
General tactics I guess... granted in CoD you can hit anything from anywhere so as long as you have a red dot. Most of the time I just do whatever it takes to go behind the lines undetected.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
It depends on how many players I'm up against and our relative skill levels.

If I know I am better than my opposition, or there are a lot of opponents, I'd go with the bludgeon. If I'm playing with few opponents or if I know my opponents are more skilled than me, I'd go with the scalpel approach. Most of the time, since I usually play against 1-3 people, I tend to specialize my classes and concentrate on one particular attack approach. But when there's a large field of players, the only way to respond is with a large field of strategies, hence the bludgeon.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I like having a advantage or at least a strategy to counter any situation.

I try to balance out my tactics.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Tactics? Bah.

I'm more of an "arrive with overwhelming force" followed by "vaporize the planets crust from orbit" type of gamer.

Sep 14, 2009
in a game like that, i generally have one or two universal ones, depending on the map for those two, otherwise i have a couple/few backup classes that can be used for specific annoyances or objectives that im gonna be going for

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
thiosk said:
Tactics? Bah.

I'm more of an "arrive with overwhelming force" followed by "vaporize the planets crust from orbit" type of gamer.
Radeonx said:
I don't need tactics, because my awesomeness crushes all.
I forgot the neither option. Letmefix...

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
Call of Duty is the most brainless game I ever play. Point gun, shoot gun, kill dudes. I could care less what gun I have or where I am when I do my dude shooting.

In most single player games, though, I usually try to adapt my tactics to the situation, usually erring on the side of stealth and surprise.

It doesn't work much.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
My only tactic is shoot it until it dies.

Does it have a weak spot? Who cares, shoot it until it dies!
Does it have an exploitable flaw? WHO CARES! Shoot it until it dies!

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Ambushes are my specialty. I have a knack for making the most of any given situation, turning a bad situation for my enemy into a worse one, and how best to use a location for an ambush.

Tripwires, C4, Claymores, snipers, grenades, booby-traps, explosives of any sort...give me a locale, and I'll have a perfectly laid trap for you. I'm an assassin at heart, I like to make sure my enemies are dead without them even knowing I was ever there. Whether that's booby-trapping a door to explode when they walk through it, sniping out the guards in lookout towers, or rigging a fuel depot to blow up when someone refuels a tank...It'll be me pulling the strings, pushing the button, and shoving down on the plunger.

If you hadn't guessed, I'm scary good at games like FarCry.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
In Modern Warfare 1, I have Assault, Stealth, Sniper, Tactical & Defense.

One for every different gun group. I switch between them regularly.

And yes, I gave them realistic names. It's funner that way.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
It really depends, but I generally will go with a universal setup, because I enjoy the flexibility of being able to react decently to any situation. I may not have the best response, but I'll never be helpless.