Poll: what the hell is Glee about?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I got beaten to death by Glee commercials on That Guy With The Glasses and they are planning to air it on Dutch TV channels and I would like to know what its about
PS from what I gathered its a group of kids covering popular songs and some stuff about beauty not being skindeep it sounds a bit too sweet to me

Jefw

Apr 21, 2010
Would you happen to be an alternate dimension version of me?
To much in common to be a coincidence.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i think its about a way to make covers of actual popular songs and resell them as glee covers of that song and make heaps of money off 13 year olds that will buy the song again

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Merkavar said:
i think its about a way to make covers of actual popular songs and resell them as glee covers of that song and make heaps of money off 13 year olds that will buy the song again
then what,s the point of the TV show?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Relevant
Whats it about?...Uuh.. kids being uncool, BUT SUDDENLY its cool to be differenderp.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
From what I can tell, Pop Culture. Cashes in on having people sing very well reckonized and popular songs and having clicéd characters such as the very very obviously gay sterotype, the very large black girl who has a great voice, the asian, the skinny nerd, etc etc.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's High School Musical the series. OK it's really not, but not much of a stretch to imagine that's the audience they're going for.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
They have a bunch of teen's who can hardly sing and they cover bad songs and the occasional good song but usually they ruin the good songs. There's also some school drama story behind it which is mostly shit except once when some dude said his family has a weird tradition of eating chinese food infront of the TV whilst watching shindler's list, I lol'd at that.

Fawful

Dec 7, 2010
It's Nothing, forget the name, bury you head in the proverbial sand and get on with your life.

If you still really need to know.
EDIT: High school musical: The TV show, but with weirder fans.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
henritje said:
Merkavar said:
then what,s the point of the TV show?
the TV show is giant ad

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Nothing. It has no plot, meaning, purpose or message. And I say this as someone who used to be in the fandom for it.

Basically, the show is about random one-liners interspersed with musical numbers and really bad attempts at drama.

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
So, it's, like, high school kids singing popular songs? Man, of all the things that could be made into TV programs... Well, if it's popular, my country's probably gonna jump on the bandwagon, but I don't watch television so what do I care.

avelmen1889

Dec 30, 2008
"Welcome to Glee, where every episode is the Musical Episode. Trust us, it's Better Than It Sounds.
Glee is about a high school teacher's attempts to organize the glee club while dealing with his own personal issues. The first episode alone featured music from such disparate sources as Journey and Guys And Dolls, and the show goes on to showcase everything from Charlie Chaplin to Lady Gaga.
The musical numbers are usually given an in-universe justification with the activities of the glee club, instead of seemingly springing fully formed from the minds of characters in normal situations, as with most musicals. The effect is very... postmodern. That Reminds Me Of A Song is in full effect. From time to time, an individual does just break into a full-on song and dance sequence with back-up dancers and props and so forth, and it cuts from location to location mid-stream like a music video; based on contextual clues these moments appear to be taking place in the individual's thoughts.
Tons of character stereotypes show up to the point of reviving a few Dead Horse Tropes."

straight from tvtrope's mouth.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Glee

a quick question, has anyone who posted on this forum hating it actualy seen the show?

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I saw some commercial of it but was not interested...

However, suddenly found a cover of Losing my Religion by REM.
And I listened and it was....rather good. *nods*

Then again, I chose a different song and they totally sucked.

Still no idea what it was about though..

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
People sing(terrible music most of the time), pathetic attempts at drama, more singing(shooting yourself is more fun), and some comedy. Its any teen drama show you have seen except this time with singing! I have watched a few episodes and yeah, its a terrible show.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
avelmen1889 said:
a quick question, has anyone who posted on this forum hating it actualy seen the show?
I've not. I've seen enough of their endless ad campaigns to know it doesn't interest me at all.

avelmen1889

Dec 30, 2008
Glee isn't HSM the tv series.

That comparison was what i had at first before i watched the show. HSM is a bunch of flaky characters in a cookie cutter high-school story.
It's way better than high-school musical.

The show tries to actually teach people stuff. Like, for example, the episode with Neil Patric Harris in it [thats right , NPH] it told people that dreams might not come true, but that dosnet mean you should give up on them.

The show also brings to light some actual teen interactions, like them exploring sexuality or things like teen pregnancy, which High-school musical wouldn't touch upon those topics even if they were wearing a hazmat suit.