Poll: What type of animation do you prefer?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Not a fan of flash animation. The puppet-like movements really bugs the hell out of me.
That bugs the crap out of me, too, but you know what? That only happens when the animators take the lazy way out. See, Flash has an option where you can create key frames, and the program will generate the frames in between them. Done right (read: used sparingly, with a generous number of key frames made by an actual human), it can make things buttery smooth, like in FiM and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (which, interestingly enough, were both done by Lauren Faust.) Done wrong (read: mostly done by the computer, with very little input from an actual human being), and you get this piece of madness that crawled right out of the uncanny valley:

OT: I prefer hand drawn art, but CG and Flash animation can both be done extremely well, and hand drawn can be done very badly (think 60's Hanna Barbera. They had to cut a lot of corners to save money back in the day.) But I prefer hand drawn at its best to CG or flash at its best.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Whatever they did with Dragonball, I like. Code Lyoko was terrible.
I'm finding myself falling in love with cel shading for videogame animation though.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I clicked hand-drawn but I like MLP:FiM, awww shit.
OT: Hand-drawn animation tends to have more exciting and interesting movements. I study animation myself and it's a delight to watch the older Warn.Brothers stuff.
I animate in Flash mostly, and although professional-standard builds/puppets can give you a lot of freedom to have very interesting animation, nothing can beat the ol' hand-drawn stuff.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
all of them i like equally. Futurama uses a great mix of hand drawn and CGI, and MLP:FiM really shows that flash done right can be a beautiful thing

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
The only CG animation that I really like is what I've seen in the new Tron cartoon, but it's fitting there and it's mixed with 2D a lot.

Hand-drawn just generally looks better and gives more fluidity.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Dreadman75 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hand drawn. And if at all possible, hand drawn cells. The digital age of hand drawn animation lacks grit.

I don't dislike CGI, but hand drawn animation showcases the man hours and craftsmanship way better. CGI while also needing a lot of work and talent will always be filltered through a computer, taking away from the "hands on" charm.

Also, CGI ages like shit.
Lol! No kidding! Did you ever see Reboot when it was on Toonami? Now that show really shows it's age.
I might piss off a lot of people, but I thought that show looked horrendous from the get go.

It was riding the CGI high that was oh so prevalent back then, but like all the other shows that used it, it lacked the hardware and talent to make it look presentable.
I think perhaps the biggest problem with CG is as you said, the hardware and talent. Whenever I look at a purely CG show, a lot of the details seem glossed over. During action scenes, the backgrounds look minimal for instance. And let's not forget the overly rounded out features of most of the characters. That's a big issue, when a CG character looks even more fake than one from a 2-D show. A great example of this would probably be the CG and Young Justice Green Lantern, Hal Jordan. To me, the CG version looks...misshapen, while the Young Justice version looks more realistic.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Dreadman75 said:
webepoop said:
Everything has it's place and everything can produce great things. It isn't so much about the tools, it's more about how you use them
That's a nice way of looking at it. But which style do you prefer? Or is the style of animation irrelevant to you, so long as the overall quality of the narrative, strength of the characters, and other factors are up to snuff?
It's not so much the characters and story that makes an animation good (although those play a part) it's whether the technique fits the film and aesthetic. I don't think that Beauty and the Beast would be a very good CG film, and I don't think UP would have had the same impact if it was a flash animation. (although, with a lot of thought and planning it is possible)
I can't see the former being hand drawn anytime soon, nor can I see the latter being in CGI

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
In yet another TV related thread. (I seem to have a thing for these) I present another question: What type of animation do you prefer?

Are you someone who prefers hand drawn animation: With it's older style, and great attention to detail?

Do you prefer CG: For more impressive visuals, and great atmosphere.

Or do are a fan of Flash animation: For it's sheer potential and because you like MLP: FiM.

Personally, I'm a die hard fan of hand-drawn animation. Mostly because every time I see hand drawn shows I see something that had a LOT of hard work and love put into it. Attention to detail is important, which is something I like. And because I'm still nostalgic for the days of the great 90s hand drawn cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series.

I'm not really a fan of CG, mostly because it doesn't seem like it's evolved enough to really look...good. Just about every time I see a CG show the action can be stilted (not sure if that's the right term) and difficult to follow, and the faces all look kinda lifeless. I think it needs to grow a bit more, flesh out it's flaws before I'm sold on the concept.

I've seen good and terrible examples of Flash animation. (I'm looking at you Johnny Test!!) But Newgrounds has some truly impressive works done in Flash. Not the least of which is Krinkels Madness series and it's numerous spinoffs. I think Flash animation has the potential to be a great animation format IF DONE CORRECTLY. Fucking Johnny Test! I loved that show back when it was hand drawn (the first season or so), but when it switched to Flash it just tanked. Hard!

So what animation styles do you all prefer? If I missed one above I apologize, these three are just the ones I know
best.
Your a man after myself my friend. I have written essays on this very topic. It was my dream to be a 2d animator just because 2d animation offers to much more freedom stylistically and animation wise. The only thing I have ever found 3d animation to be better in is realism and efficiency which is why it works so well along side film. You should check out some of the old Max Fletcher superman animations I practically jizzed in my pants so smoothhhhhhhhhhh.

Also a lot of people oddly don't realize that flash only looks bad when it is extremely budgeted and thus the animators are forced to rely on tweens rather than FBF. The colours definitely look a lot different between traditional and flash however since flash is all digital rather than traditional.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Hand-drawn, without question.

This isn't to say that CGI and Flash animation don't have potential, but there will always be something... artificial about them. I guess part of it is that they lend themselves well to a consistent presentation (though one can easily say all formats are equally capable of recycling animations), whereas hand-drawn animations often have a very personal touch added to them.

I guess what really sets it apart from the other animation styles isn't so much the animated foreground... but the beautiful and detailed backdrops.

To be perfectly honest, no one format really "wins" in the foreground. I might be tempted to give the edge in that regard to CGI (though top-notch hand-drawn animation is neck-and-neck with it), but it's not enough to overtake the magnificient hand-drawn backgrounds seen in many older animated works. Disney films, particularly some of the older ones, are a prime source of these; sometimes they even show up in various cartoons from the olden days. Here's a quick sample:

Fantasia - Ave Maria[/youtube]

Flash and CGI simply can't make use of these hand-crafted masterpieces, they just don't mesh well with them; those works which use both traditional animation and CGI have to balance the level of detail just right in the hand-drawn parts so that the CGI doesn't look out of place. Traditional animation on the other hand, is a near-perfect fit. Sure, it doesn't flow quite as smoothly and consistency is a presistent issue... but done right, it's nothing short of magical.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I like it when hand drawn is blended with CGI when done right.

I think it looks pretty cool when it has mechs and future tech

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I've seen all the mediums used to a quality I am pleased by, so I cannot prefer one over the other, they're all great if you know how to use them to the max.

And I love Animation. I rarely bother with 'real life' acting unless it's really good. Animation just grabs me more.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I really dont like flash stuff that looks like its been thrown together

I like traditional animation..

DrNeroCF

Feb 28, 2008
Hand drawn animation enhanced by CGI, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Style. Dat animation + dat lighting

Even as a Flash artist, I rage over that 'tweeny' Flash style.

Flash is at it's best when it's allowing a single person to unleash a vision that would normally take a team and a budget. It's worse when suits are using it to save money and push out design by committee trash.

No reason beautiful things can't be made with Flash, though.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408967

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
DrNeroCF said:
Hand drawn animation enhanced by CGI, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Style. Dat animation + dat lighting

Even as a Flash artist, I rage over that 'tweeny' Flash style.

Flash is at it's best when it's allowing a single person to unleash a vision that would normally take a team and a budget. It's worse when suits are using it to save money and push out design by committee trash.

No reason beautiful things can't be made with Flash, though.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408967
Ah, Who Framed Roger Rabbit...good times, great movie. I completely agree with you that Hand drawn + CGI can equal great things.

And I have seen some truly great Flash animation. Newgrounds is a breeding ground for great things. Madness, Stick figures, and all manner of other excellent pieces. Although I do have to ask: What is the 'tweeny' style of Flash you hate?

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Now, I am a brony, so Flash was my first choice, but then I remembered how terrible Flash animation usually is. So, I'm going to have to go with hand-drawn for giving us Ghost in the Shell, the Flintstones, the Simpsons, and many more.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
You don't have an "all of the above" option, i'm actually not that fussy as to how the animations are done, although I am a bit hesitant about Flash, unless it has been done well. I like Live Action too

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The right amount of money, and talent, CGI can look AMAZING.
-SEE: Most of Karas and ALL FF7:AC (even if the film itself was 'meh') and FF:TSW.

However, I prefer 'hand drawn' - or even that 'drawn on a computer and off to give it a touch-up) given that you get a lot more detail.