Poll: What was your favorite Metal Gear Solid game?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I liked 1 a lot. I didn't really like 2 as much. 3 Blew my mind. 4 was totally awesome.

The psp ones didn't grab me as much as the console ones. I didn't get immersed.

So I guess Snake Eater is my all time favorite metal gear. Love that game.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
All of those bosses just didnt make any sense as to why they were really there. Ya I get that they were the bosses old unit and all but they were just so random and bland. At least with The End and The Sorrow it was different and interesting.

The only reason that I put MGS4 first is because it brought all of the stories to a nice conclusion. It had everything that I liked about all of the other games and none of the little things that I disliked.
Yeah, the sorrow "battle" in itself was very interesting (Which I kind of ruined by not killing anybody I don't have to, like I do in any game) and the end, while not having any more depth than the other three, was still an incredibly awesome battle in itself, so it gets a pass.

MGS4 was pretty good, yeah, but it did have a few things that could have been done better, such as ...

- The lack of decent codec conversations. Seriously, two FUCKING frequencies? What the flying fuck is wrong with you, Kojima Productions? MGS1 and 3 did this perfectly and MGS2's codecs were passable, but the fourth game just completely fucking this aspect up. Even the ones we have were filled with nothing other than bland shit.

- Naomi's and Eva's death. Eva's death wasn't bad in itself per se, but the deaths of certain characters in MGS1 and 3 were just much, much more powerful and well done. Naomi's death however was painfully bad to watch, as she just kills her self out of fucking nowhere and her death takes about 5 minutes, is filled with really cheap and cheesy dialogue and Otacon crying his eyes out and not responding to snake and co.
It wasn't touching, I didn't feel bad afterwards. It was just really, really fucking annoying.

- The fact that Raiden got turned into a ninja. Seriously, I would understand if this was some kind of shitty anime, but come on guys. The series has more class than that. Yes, Raiden wasn't a very popular person due to having taken the place of a Snake, but that didn't make him a bad character. It's like they went

"Hey guys, people didn't really like Raiden a lot due to their obsession over Snake, what should we do?"
"We should change him into something else and give him little to no screen time, character development or basically anything. Hmm...What do guys usually like?"
"Hmm..I got it! Ninja's! And katana's! Y-YEAH! LETS GIVE HIM A LOT OF POINTLESS ACROBATIC AND FAST SWORD BATTLES AS WELL AND MAKE HIM ALL DARK AND EDGY WITHOUT EXPLAINING ANYTHING. OH AND HE CAN SHOOT LIGHTNING!!!"
"...Brilliant...."

Seriously, fuck the new Raiden.

- Gameplay and story don't really flow like in the other game. The gameplay sections usually feel much more like parts you want to get through as fast as possible so you can continue with the story instead of being fun to play through and interesting.

It's a shame though. The game does have some unbelievably epic moments as well, such as the beginning of act 4, which is probably the best thing ever done in a video game and while the good definitely outweighs the bad, it's just the amount of flaws that doesn't put it on the same level as the first and third game. This is all opinion, of course.

Still, nothing in the existence of man can ever come close to the ending (final boss battle included) of MGS3 of course. That shit was absolutely brilliant.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 2. Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater are both fantastic games but neither transcend the gaming experience quite like Sons of Liberty does. It's a really wonderful game in so many different ways.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I love them all, but my favorite has to be 3, followed by 2. Then there's 4, Peace Walker, then 1, then MG and Solid Snake.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Dunno for sure, but it would be either Peace Walker or MGS4, And a close third would be MGS3. It's really hard to decide though. I'd say peace walker would have stood out much better had it been on the PS3.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
MGS3 (Subsistence) MGSPW, MGS4, MGS and finally MGS2 (not a bad game, better then many.)

You forgot Portable Ops, it wasn't my favorite, but some may have liked it.

I've never played the first Metal Gears.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Metal Gear 3, with 4 at close second. Loved the environments and the boss fights - especially The End. Creeping around with a sniper rifle for a good hour and a half cat and mouse battle, there's nothing like it. Then there's the Ocelot duel. Defeat him quick and he's no problem, but take your time and let him get good with his guns and he's a freaking beast. Also kinda liked the semi tediousness of collecting food during my extreme playthrough for some reason.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
PureChaos said:
i've never actually played a Metal Gear game though i did see a friend play the first part of Metal Gear Solid 4 and wasn't overly impressed. are they all like that or am i missing out on some great games. the GC one with the geezer that can 'read your mind' sounded good
I wouldn't reccomend playing MGS4 unless you've played some of the others in the series. (Especially MGS2, as that game introduced the whole Patriots thing) You will get lost in that game narrative wise if you don't.

The gamecube game you're referring to is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. A gamecube remake of the first Metal Gear Solid.

I personally reccomend you try MGS3 first as it is a prequel to the entire series. Although MGS1/Twin Snakes is also easy to get into as well.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Metal Gear Solid is my favorite game series and this thread made my day. It was a really close call but I have to go with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It is the first game I played in the series (I played them chronologically rather than by when they came out). It is the first game to feature Big Boss as the protagonist, it's gameplay is the best out of the original three, the bosses are great, the storyline is solid, and the general look of the whole thing makes it the coolest one of the games.

However, I do not think Metal Gear Solid 3 is the BEST game in the series. That honor would have to go to Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. That game is a post-modern piece of art. It's all about how meme's and society shapes our actions and carries that lesson over from video games into the battlefield as well as into society in general. We do as we are prompted to do without questioning.

This site can explain it better than I can: http://metagearsolid.org/reports_legacyofmgs2_1.html

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Y U NO LIST SNAKE'S REVENGE!? Haha, I know, not a real Metal Gear game. I have a friend that likes it though so if anything, it may have held up well as it's own game and not a bogus MG tie-in.

I'm surprised Snake Eater is in the lead for being the least best-selling of the Solid games but, yeah, I liked it too. It's my #2 MGS game in a tie with MGS4.

My favorite will always be MGS1, everything about it was just right and it came around at the right time. Before that, my favorite was the original Metal Gear... sadly it had to be the NES port that lost so much of it's original elements from the MSX version.

It's hard though in these days for me to go back and play MGS1, it's just sooooo ugly like all 3D PSX games. Thank the gods for the Twin Snakes remake on Gamecube. :D

Just as a side note: I really would love to see Kojima re-imagine the original two MSX Metal Gear games with a full script and modern HD presentation. So much remained to be said in those games as still being part of the overarching timeline, I just feel like they should be brought up to date to better match the Solid games.

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
I love all of them. the HD collection will sit proudly in my game rack.
But MGS1 is the one that started it all for me. So i say that.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear aren't remotely similar looking series and different playstyle alltogether. So i don't get why people like compairing them which would be pointless.

It would be like asking do you like Mario 1 or Mario galaxy 2 better? DO u like Eyepain with annoying midi 2bit music or new stuff? HMMHM?

after rant, k i like metal gear solid 1, because it had the most iconic characters, good diversity and not extreme ammounts of cutscenes, durr. Also every type of bossfight and encounter has been copied over from to that to the new games. I haven't played the portable games yet so i wouldnt know whats new in them. Also it had no whiney Raiden and her? girlfriend. The plot also made sense. And 2nd best would be mgs3 because it actually added some new stuff and had a decent ammount of gameplay compared to the stupid sequal after.

Also metal gear solid 1 invented the Cardboard box, therefor it must be superior.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm not going to explain why here, because it'd turn into a three-page-long essay on the game. XD Not going to make a wall o' text.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
MGS1.

I want to say MGS4, because I have played through it more times than any other MGS.. But there are some nagging things.. Well, mostly just one thing.. Johnny. Johnny just flat out ruins MGS4 for me. Everytime he is on screen I just want to face-palm. It'd be fine if after the first chapter he disappears, but he doesn't. I won't go into spoilers, and I'll just state it here. I fucking hate Johnny in MGS4.

(His cameos in every other MGS are fine because they're short and sweet.)