Poll: What's the most you would give up or suffer to save the life of a stranger?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Poll.

Assume the stranger is an average person so we don't get derailed by "what if that person is a scientist who could cure cancer?" or "how do you know that stranger's not a pedophile?" arguments.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I would give up some of my time. That's about it though.

Yes, I'm aware of how heartless that makes me sound.

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
I'd suffer an injury to save one, hopefully nothing permanent. Depends on how disfiguring / disabling it would be. Broken spine? Likely not. Losing a finger or a leg? More manageable. Facial dis figuration? No... No. I know that makes me sound vain, but as it is, I have trouble looking at myself in a mirror. I often do because I am good looking when I try, but I don't often try because I HATE mirrors. No, I don't know why.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Marter said:

Don't worry, I'm hardly surprised. I just came from another forum where a thread was created asking whether you would rather a) receive billions of dollars and perfect looks, or b) have the power to have prevented the earthquake in Japan, and fully 70% of the people voting took money and looks over saving the lives of 5,000+ strangers.

Who Dares Wins said:
I have no idea what a personal injury is supposed to mean but I voted for it.
I'm not sure why that is confusing, but what I meant is that while saving the stranger's life you get injured, but you'll heal without permanent disability or disfigurement.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'd take my time and an injury (that will heal and have no lasting efect)

My life, money, liberty and non permenant injured self are more important to me than a strager, soz.

BlackAura

Nov 29, 2009
Brawndo said:
I just came from another forum where a thread was created asking whether you would rather a) receive billions of dollars and perfect looks, or b) have the power to have prevented the earthquake in Japan, and fully 70% of the people voting took money and looks over saving the lives of 5,000+ strangers.
Unfortunately, that's how most of us are nowadays. The very idea of billions of dollars trumps everything, especially in this economy. Perfect looks, too? No brainer.

PS: I voted for time, because that was what I was given when I needed help in a life/death situation, and that's all I'm willing to give.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I picked "permanent injury". Time, money, my liberty and various body parts all have lesser value than a life. I'd rather have a clear concious than a pocket full of paper.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
To save a life I'd suffer a non-permanent injury, as for permanent maybe, depends on the situation ifs theres a risk of one, maybe if it's a "If I save this guy I WILL undoubtedly break my spine" then not so much. If there's a risk, and its low enough, maybe... I dunno.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
It depends on the situation. Is it like some jackass beating the shit out of his girl friend or something, or a mugging, or what. I would go so far as to say that in great enough circumstances, if my giving my life saved someone else's I would.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
To be frank, i wouldnt.

Strangers hold no importance to me. Yes thier families might grieve for a while but they will get over it.

That said when i do die, i intend to be cremated whole.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Who Dares Wins said:
I have no idea what a personal injury is supposed to mean but I voted for it.
I don't think he's referring to a paper cut.
Maybe a broken arm?

OT: It depends. If it's a kid, my conscious won't leave me alone if I don't thoroughly help her (Like I'll sustain non-permanent injuries - maybe). If it's an adult who was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, I'll spare my time, and maybe money (I'm usually broke so I don't know how that'll work).

Yep, I know that's hypocritical, but I'm only human.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
It depends on the situation really. I wouldn't go out of my way to find someone's whose life depended on me, but if I stumbled across the situation (for example, I walk in on someone being mugged), I would do everything I could to save them.

That's pretty much the extent of it. I'd do everything feasible if it was in front of me, but I'm not going to go around looking for it.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Marter said:

same, I know it does sound terrible, but that's just the way I am :(