Poll: Whats the point of achievement points

kill3rwa5p

Aug 20, 2008
the whole idea of acheivements are to give you something different to do and to reward you for those ations there for it is a way of showing the world you are/were capable of doing something.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Um, there's no poll in your poll.

Also, Acheivements are for fun; it's like getting on the top 10 list of one of those old arcade games and signing your initials for the world to look at. They're just a way to show folks you've done something nifty or tough or weird in a game... if that's not your bag, well, there's no harm in skipping them.

-- Steve

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Just another non-typical objective outside of the game's standard play. If created well, Acheivements could also function as a skill balancing tool (see CoD4) since higher skilled players will be attempting more difficult objectives that may make their gameplay more difficult... hence easier for their opponents.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=18.70604.696747 said:

Also, Acheivements are for fun; it's like getting on the top 10 list of one of those old arcade games and signing your initials for the world to look at. They're just a way to show folks you've done something nifty or tough or weird in a game... if that's not your bag, well, there's no harm in skipping them.

-- Steve
What he said, I like being able to brag that I got all the acheivments in Bioshock and
Amped 3.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Achievements are the point of Achievements. No really, it's Buddhist or something.

I think it adds significantly to a game to feature a public way of marking milestones within a game. Is it pointless ego-inflation? Well, duh. Is it fun? For me it certainly is.
(Then again, it becomes progressively more fun in proportion to OCD tendencies, as someone who has all but 3 achievements in Forza Motorsport and 100% of both Oblivion (with Shivering Isles) and Mass Effect maybe I shouldn't talk)

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Ego inflation is more or less what drives the gaming market and being able to say you are a god of halo 3 or ... just general competitiveness achievements are more or less the sprinkles on this cake, too often playing online i nervously compare games so i can say I'm better than people.

P.S bring wheres waldo to the 360 think of the awesome achievements!!

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I don't care about them at all. Check my gamercard on my profile if you don't believe me. 2000 or something I've had my 360 for over a year.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I could care less about the amount of points i accumulate, however, some of these achievements give you interesting things to try and thus, add to (re)playability of a game. Whether the award one point or a million doesn't matter to me, but if you're a competitive kind of guy, you'd probably like it.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
More games SHOULD award bonuses for achievements

Mass Effect did.

other then that, it's just another toy for people who like 100%ing a game, or seeing what they can do.

If you don't like them, there's no reason for you to really worry about them.

They're there for completionists mainly.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=18.70604.696747 said:

-- Steve
Plus bragging rights! How many people can manage 'One Free Bullet'?

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Achievement unlocked: Didn't search
20G

We have had this thread and a few variations on it fair number of times.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
What's the point in anything? Why should I wash myself? We're all going to die anyway, and I want to stand before Saint Peter and say 'so man, how long did it take you to get zen and the art of reloading?'

Bakery

Jul 15, 2008
Money making gimmick.

I have a friend who'll buy a game for his 360 instead of his PS3 for the simple reason of getting more gamerpoints...kinda stupid in my opinion.

Integra

Aug 27, 2008
If you get them all, you get to be king of the world for a year. No, really.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Look, man, if you're gonna say there's gonna be a poll in your thread, you gotta put a poll. You can't just go around screwing with people's heads like this.

It's not cool.

Seriously.

Don't do it again.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Bragging Rights.

The market for 360 is stereotypically either casual "frat boy gamers" who only really dip into sports and combat titles, or 16-30 male gamers, who are part of a community that loves to profess their supposed gaming skills. While serving no functional purpose, they are digital hallmarks of what you can do (and in some instance what you can't)